My Boy Draft 2024: Pick 12, Schnitzengruben

Last edited by a moderator:

Albertross

Club Legend
Feb 26, 2015
North of the border
AFL Club
Essendon
There may be a more suitable thread to place this in, wasn't sure where to put it. Of the new draftees though, the focus is on Ben, so here it is. Please move if necessary Mods.

Well worth a watch. Looks at draft night, being at the club for the first time, etc. Hepp is a very good leader, great to have access to his leadership skills off field. Truck as well, talks passionately about the club as if he has spent his whole career there.

There may be a more suitable thread to place this in, wasn't sure where to put it. Of the new draftees though, the focus is on Ben, so here it is. Please move if necessary Mods.

Well worth a watch. Looks at draft night, being at the club for the first time, etc. Hepp is a very good leader, great to have access to his leadership skills off field. Truck as well, talks passionately about the club as if he has spent his whole career there.
That's really cool, I love the presentation they did at the induction session at Windy Hill, talking about how the club started and how it's different from the other big clubs (not being born of a cricket club), and about the traditions and rituals with Rutten, Heppell and Merrett sharing some bits and pieces with the newbies. Looked like Durham was there as well, I guess he didn't really get a proper induction at the MSD with being locked down and interstate almost ever since.

FlyingV

Club Legend
Aug 16, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
Port love an athlete: Rozee, Dursmaa, Bergman, Jones, Georgiades and now Sinn. Surprised the team had no idea who Port were trading up for. Usually teams are pretty cluey that close to the draft.

FlyingV

Club Legend
Aug 16, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
They knew it was Hobbs or Sinn watching the video
The move defs surprised them, they were speculating who they would take at best.

I’m only comparing it to some of the vids of Melbournes recruitment team… who, when we traded up in the second round a few years back they knew we wanted Jones (which I thought was pretty extraordinary) as well as accurately picking out who others would take.
Pretty sick footage.

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
The move defs surprised them, they were speculating who they would take at best.

I’m only comparing it to some of the vids of Melbournes recruitment team… who, when we traded up in the second round a few years back they knew we wanted Jones (which I thought was pretty extraordinary) as well as accurately picking out who others would take.
Pretty sick footage.

I think most clubs would have a fair sense of who other clubs wanted, Port sliding up a spot to get ahead of EFC when they likely suspected Port wanted Sinn and EFC were aiming for Hobbs may have thrown them.

Sounds like they didn't quite expect Hobbs to still be on the board there

FlyingV

Club Legend
Aug 16, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
I think most clubs would have a fair sense of who other clubs wanted, Port sliding up a spot to get ahead of EFC when they likely suspected Port wanted Sinn and EFC were aiming for Hobbs may have thrown them.

Sounds like they didn't quite expect Hobbs to still be on the board there
Defs didn’t sound like they thought he would be there, I’d be interested to know where they thought he would go and at who’s expense (as all the previous picks seemed logical/reasonable/expected selections)

Aug 15, 2009
Donaldsons Dairy
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Chelsea
Defs didn’t sound like they thought he would be there, I’d be interested to know where they thought he would go and at who’s expense (as all the previous picks seemed logical/reasonable/expected selections)
Not sure what the clubs thinking was, but the media had him at Richmond or Freo with the hawks also having an interest at pick 7.

Sep 29, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern Munich
I imagine they thought Richmond would Hobbs at their pick, Gibcus would slide to St Kilda and we would pick out of whoever was left of Wanganeen-Milera or Sinn

Ambrosia

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 11, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Surprised the saints didn’t take him. They don’t really have any young mids coming through. I don’t rate Bytel, Clark and Coffield look like flankers to me.

Surprised the saints didn’t take him. They don’t really have any young mids coming through. I don’t rate Bytel, Clark and Coffield look like flankers to me.
Bytel can play. They lack speed through the middle, which is why they took NWM (although we'll eventually get him)

Well my guess is they think differently to you ;)

Sorry for the unrelated post, where is the angry cockatiel gif that appears in this thread on Tapatalk, but nowhere else?
No idea. There is a known issue with tapatalk showing the first picture in the thread in previews even if that image is in a deleted post… but I just looked through the deleted posts and can’t see anything like that.

carloss

Premiership Player
Sep 4, 2007
around
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Sheffield Wednesday

Back