#8 Callan Ward - Inaugural Giant (OOC signing, 2011)

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 30, 2011
Wollongong
AFL Club
GWS
Callan Ward

ipad-art-wide-callan-ward-2-420x0.jpg

Height: 187cm
Weight: 84kg
D/O/B: 10/4/1990
Position: Mid

Ward has been a leading light since joining the Giants as an uncontracted player from the Western Bulldogs, and was reward with being named one of the inaugural Co-Captains in 2012 on basis of his excellent leadership skills.

In what was a very hard year for the young Giants Ward was consistently impressive in the midfield, playing 20 games and averaging 24.4 disposals. The hardworking midfielder put in a number of strong displays throughout the year, tallying up 36 disposals in Round 3 and 33 in Round 4. He also kicked the first goal for the club in our first AFL season and also kicked the final goal for the club in season 2012.

Ward named B & F Giants Winner 2012
Ward, who a year ago confirmed his move to GWSfrom the Western Bulldogs, was presented with the Kevin Sheedy medal by the man himself at the Sydney Olympic Park.
"Callan Ward has consistently been one of our best players all year," Giants coach Sheedy said.
"He is a tough, hard midfielder who has shown strong leadership on and off the field to this young team.
"He plays with tremendous spirit and has a very big future ahead of him."

Read more:http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-premiership/greater-western-sydney-co-captain-callan-ward-claims-kevin-sheedy-medal-for-clubs-best-and-fairest/story-e6frf3e3-1226466829059#ixzz2Ul4TnYaZ

Last edited:

Former GWS coach Kevin Sheedy says Giants captain Callan Ward on par with best leaders he has coached

GWS Giants co-captain Callan Ward has received the ultimate compliment and birthday present from former coach Kevin Sheedy, who declared his leadership ranks alongside the best of Essendon’s heroes.
In his 27-year coaching career at Essendon Sheedy had some of the game’s greatest on field leaders, including James Hird, Terry Daniher, Mark Thomson and Tim Watson, Gary O’Donnell and Michael Long.

“Absolutely, I don’t have a problem with Callan Ward dancing in the middle of that group,” Sheedy told The Daily Telegraph.

Full story on link below;
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...s-he-has-coached/story-fnlpeek0-1226879255123

Pocket Profile - Callan Ward
Which player is most likely to look at himself in the mirror after a weights session? Nathan Wilson
What’s the funniest sledge you’ve heard on the field? Ben Hudson: “You don’t want the bear in the square.”
Who would you least like to pair up with in the boxing ring during training? Curtly Hampton
Who would you like to have kicking for goal after the siren if you are three points down in a Grand Final? Dylan Addison -

See more at: http://www.gwsgiants.com.au/news/2014-08-04/pocket-profile-callan-ward#sthash.7I1ESVCg.dpuf

Ward for All Australian
Coach Leon Cameron says it’s time for GIANTS co-captain Callan Ward to be recognised with All-Australian honours.

Ward is ranked first in clearances in the AFL. He’s also third in centre clearances, sixth in total tackles, seventh in contested possessions and 11th in overall disposals - averaging more than 26 disposals and six tackles a game.

“Cal’s probably in All Australian form, if I was picking it I’d definitely have him in there,” said Cameron. “He’s just been terrific week after week. Not only inside the contest but he’s really worked hard on his outside ball as well.

- See more at: http://www.gwsgiants.com.au/news/2014-08-06/ward-for-all-australian#sthash.ezNQBDh3.dpuf

Callan Ward may not be up there alongside Joel Selwood and Luke Hodge as the most inspirational captain in the league but Greater Western Sydney coach Leon Cameron could not be happier with the man leading his football team.

The Giants co-captain is fast establishing himself as one of the league's most fearless leaders after producing what his coach described as a stand-out performance against Brisbane.

http://www.watoday.com.au/afl/great...aincy-ranks-20150607-ghikl6.html?rand=3529777

And a lazy 175 SC points yesterday

Cal is my out and out favourite Giant. While not the same type of player completely, he reminds me of a former favourite of mine (as an old Eagles supporter) John "Woosha" Worsfold. The guy is tough as, and seriously suicidal on the park. Best of all he is a very skillful player too. Last weekend's game was huge.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Name: Callan Ward
Number: 8
2015 Games: 22 AFL
AFL Fantasy Average: 100
Awards: Voted second most courageous player at the AFLPA Awards

Background: Callan Ward was selected with pick 19 in the 2007 AFL Draft by the Western Bulldogs. He joined the GIANTS as one of the club’s inaugural captains at the end of the 2011 season.

Best Game: Round 16 v Gold Coast - 30 touches, 8 marks, 5 tackles, 2 goals.

Summary: Arguably the GIANTS’ most consistent performer, Callan Ward epitomises everything a club captain should be. Ward played every match of the season and averaged over 25 disposals and five tackles per match. He regularly threw himself into contents and would often emerge with the football, recording a career-high amount of clearances in 2015. Playing alongside former Western Bulldogs teammate Ryan Griffen this season, Ward had more freedom without coping the hard tag from opponents every week. Ward finished third in the Kevin Sheedy Medal count and continued to lead his younger teammates on the field. He also surprised a few people in the Brownlow Medal, finishing equal eighth on 19 votes.

Pat On The Back: Ward leads with his actions and is widely respected as one of the most courageous players in the league. He was at his brutal best in 2015.

What They Said: "In amongst the 17 other clubs I think the other players would know how tough he (Ward) is. He's suicidal in how he hits the footy, whether it's on the ground or in the air," - Leon Cameron

Look Ahead: Ward kicked 10 goals this season but is capable of impacting the scoreboard more with his accurate kick. Adding some more goals to his tally in 2016 will be one of his aims.

- See more at: http://www.gwsgiants.com.au/news/2015-11-04/season-summary-callan-ward#sthash.yVU2e9YS.dpuf

GIANTS co-captain Callan Ward has hinted he could be close to re-signing with the club, possibly even before the start of the 2016 season.

Speaking with Francis Leach and David Schwarz on SEN this morning, Ward indicated he was hopeful of locking in a new deal sooner rather than later.

“I’m pretty keen to put pen to paper to be honest,” Ward said.

“I think I’m pretty close to signing a new contract so we’ll see how that pans out in the next few weeks.

“We’re all pumped for Round 1, we can’t wait to play the Demons especially now they’re in some really good form.

"I’ve been down the beach this morning recovering from yesterday and then we’re straight back to the club for a big week on the training track.”

Ward is one of the inaugural captains of the GIANTS and has played more games than anyone else for the club (83).

He has played 20-plus matches in all four of his seasons at the GIANTS and averages more than 23 possessions a game.

It was arguably Ward’s best season in 2015 after he polled 19 votes in the Brownlow Medal and was unlucky to miss out on a nomination for the 2015 All Australian squad.

Ward won the inaugural Kevin Sheedy Medal for the GIANTS’ Best and Fairest in 2012 and has finished in the top 3 every year since.

- See more at: http://www.gwsgiants.com.au/news/2016-03-14/ward-talks-contract#sthash.zYHygHJS.dpuf

******* AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Greater Western Sydney GIANTS co-captain Callan Ward has signed a five-year contract extension that will make him a GIANT for life.

The 25-year-old’s new deal will see him remain at the club until at least the end of 2021.

Since joining the GIANTS for their inaugural season in 2012, Ward has led the AFL’s youngest club on and off the field as co-captain and continues to be one of the club’s most influential players.

Ward has played 143 games and will become the first GIANT to play 100 games for the club during the 2016 AFL Premiership season.

After claiming the inaugural Kevin Sheedy Medal as GIANTS Club Champion in 2012, Ward has finished in the top three of that award every year since, while receiving a career-high 19 Brownlow medal votes in 2015.

Ward said the decision to make a long-term commitment to the GIANTS was straight forward.

“This is where I want to finish my career so I had no hesitation in putting pen to paper,” Ward said.

“The club has come a long way since I first got here and I’m very confident we’re heading in the right direction both on and off the field.

“So many players, along with Leon Cameron, have re-committed to this club because we are proud of what we’re building and understand the opportunity that lies ahead of us.”

Callan Ward is on board - Are you? Get your 2016 GIANTS membership now!

GIANTS Chief Executive Officer David Matthews said the club had no hesitation in offering Ward the chance to remain a GIANT for life.

“Callan is a tremendous leader of our young club and his decision to commit long term is further evidence of that,” Matthews said.

“We are delighted he has made such a strong statement on the eve of a very important season for the GIANTS.

“The number of players who have re-signed with the club in recent times clearly illustrates the extent to which the playing group has bought into the football program and culture set by Leon Cameron.

“Players such as Callan Ward, Jeremy Cameron and Dylan Shiel are quickly becoming household names in Western Sydney and Canberra and all point to a bright future for our club.”

Coach Leon Cameron has welcomed Ward’s contract extension.

“To have Callan commit to playing out his career at the GIANTS is a tremendous show of faith in our young club. He’s a ferocious player, a terrific leader and I have no doubt he’ll be an integral part of success here at the GIANTS in the years to come.”

- See more at: http://www.gwsgiants.com.au/news/20...om=EMCL_1014953_39706976#sthash.44JrXKxP.dpuf

Great write up on Ward who will play game 150 tonight, but is also only 10 games short after tonight of being the first Giant to play 100 games for us :thumbsu:
CALLAN Ward lets his actions speak for everything. Which is how he likes it. Because there was a time when Ward didn’t speak at all. As a kid, he had a stutter and fighting to get the necessary words out of his prepubescent mouth wasn’t worth it. The embarrassment was too much. There was one time, he said, when he was with his twin sister Aysha back in Braybrook, he was asked his name and he couldn’t spit it out. Aysha, it seemed, was always by his side, always looking after her brother. “His name is Callan,’’ she’d say. And Callan would be relieved again. He has well conquered this impediment, although the threat of it strangling his throat in a live interview still holds him hostage. You wouldn’t believe it hearing him speak. In post-match interviews as co-captain of Greater Western Sydney, Ward speaks with a simplicity and honesty in a similar matter to how he plays the game. No frills. Gets the job done. No grandstanding. The fact is Ward was tempted to reject the multi-million dollar move from the Western Bulldogs to the Giants and with it the promise of being named co-captain, because he was afraid he would have to speak more.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...e/news-story/0814cfb4bbb0c520a343dc1f72a37b3a

Last edited:
Callan Ward is becoming the AFL's best leader

When one thinks of the AFL’s greatest current day captains, most people would pull out names such as Luke Hodge, Nick Riewoldt and Robert Murphy.

But there is one captain who is lifting his side closer and closer to a premiership, his name is Callan Ward.

The Giants co-captain is arguably playing the best football of his already impressive career.

As a player Ward is averaging 25 disposals per match in 2016, and lists inside the top ten in key categories such as clearances, contested possessions and boasts an elite disposals efficiency of 73 per cent, a remarkably high rate considering the crash and bash style of football he plays.

Ward thrives on the contest and makes the younger players walk beside him.

As a leader, Ward shows similar traits to Hawthorn legend Luke Hodge. Not only is he demanding, ruthless and highly respected by the AFL world, he sets the example for work rate, consistency and performance on a weekly basis.

The Giants are glittered with first round draft selections and are the envy of most clubs in terms of their natural talent and age.

But the importance of players such as Ward cannot be understated or undervalued.

Full story http://www.theroar.com.au/2016/07/09/callan-ward-becoming-afls-best-leader/

Absolutely

http://www.gwsgiants.com.au/news/2016-10-17/ward-looking-forward

GIANTS co-captain Callan Ward is looking forward to 2017 and putting a heartbreaking end to the AFL season behind him.

The 26-year-old said despite the disappointing six-point Preliminary Final loss to the Western Bulldogs the GIANTS could be proud of their efforts in 2016.

“We have to improve on this season and if we improve, we’ll be playing in a Grand Final,” he said.

“But all we can do now is be proud of the season we’ve had and really look forward to next year.”

It may be nearly a month since the GIANTS’ were beaten by the eventual premiers in an epic encounter at Spotless Stadium, but the emotion of the loss is still there for Ward.

“It’s obviously disappointing the way we ended our season in the Preliminary Final, but I guess at the start of the year if we got told we’d play in a prelim and lose by a goal it’s probably a tick,” he said.

“We could have gone all the way, could have played in a Grand Final, won a Grand Final, but it wasn’t to be this season.”

In 2016 the GIANTS went from the easy prey to the predators, winning a club record 16 home and away games and sounding a wake up call to the competition with a resounding victory over Sydney in their first ever final.

To have their season end just one kick shy of a maiden Grand Final appearance was too much for Ward and many of his teammates.

“I haven’t cried like that in a long time,” he said.

“There were probably three quarters of the group that were all crying.

“I’ve never experienced that before, it meant a whole lot to this group.”

The emotions shown by the GIANTS on the ground after the loss and in the rooms comes from the bond they share as a team and as Ward puts it, their willingness to play for the man alongside them.

“I remember speaking to Lachie Whitfield and he just said, how good does it feels when you know the guys are going out there to play for their teammates,” he said.

“That’s a great thing because it’s so true.

“People aren’t going out there to play for themselves anymore, people are going out there to play for their teammates and that’s the most important thing.”

The GIANTS’ willingness to put their bodies on the line and play for each other was never more evident than their win over the Sydney Swans in the Qualifying Final at ANZ Stadium.

Ward rates it as their best win of the year.

“To win like that against a really good side in Sydney – who obviously played in the Grand Final – was a really great effort for us,” he said.

“I though we played some good footy that day.”

Looking forward to seeing a big year from Callan and an incredibly durable and tough player, it will be interesting to see how the mids rotate through the bench and either forward or back half and if others would think if Callan is more effective in the forward half when not playing on ball?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back