Player Watch #8: Jack Riewoldt

The thing that blows my mind with Jack is he has taken what should be Mark of the Year, but during the early days when he used to fly for everything, you'd expected him to have a real crack at it, and nearly won it once (mark against the Saints that he dropped). But how many players have taken Mark of the Year 5 months shy of their 33rd birthday? Would be the oldest winner since Ablett Senior in 1994 (Ablett was 33). Makes it more impressive given a lot of people had written off his athleticism.

Last edited:
Only downside to Jack signing on (not saying it’s a bad thing) but it does all but confirm at least one of our young talls won’t be at the club next season
Question is if it’s Chol, CCJ or both who won’t be with us

Infamy

🐯🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Oct 1, 2004
Melbourne, VIC
AFL Club
Richmond
Only downside to Jack signing on (not saying it’s a bad thing) but it does all but confirm at least one of our young talls won’t be at the club next season
I still think we can play them all, hope we can keep them both

RJK Tiger

Premiership Player
Oct 29, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond

CCJ would be the odds on favourite. Way more trade value, rumours of him leaving for near 2 years - i would say its odds on now he goes. Not sure i am overly comfortable with him leaving.... Higgins i didn't care - Butler, Ellis, Markov i understood both ways. - this one feels like a "high risk, possible high reward" decision to let a player like him leave this early into his career. Reality is though, not a whole lot of tall "Forward rucks" end up being superstars though, they tend to be "sometimes" super, but never elite at either position

May 17, 2004
Punt Rd ‘17? ‘19?
AFL Club
Richmond
CCJ would be the odds on favourite. Way more trade value, rumours of him leaving for near 2 years - i would say its odds on now he goes. Not sure i am overly comfortable with him leaving.... Higgins i didn't care - Butler, Ellis, Markov i understood both ways. - this one feels like a "high risk, possible high reward" decision to let a player like him leave this early into his career. Reality is though, not a whole lot of tall "Forward rucks" end up being superstars though, they tend to be "sometimes" super, but never elite at either position
Chol is a unrestricted FA I say more likely he leaves, now CCJ has found a place In The side after screwing his chances for a premiership medallion last year with kebabgate, negotiations will make more sense

Signed for lesser money so we can keep our up and coming Tigers.

Jack,you are a Tiger legend!
And more importantly with major restrictions to soft cap cuts with assistant coaches. Jack is a full time coach on club friendly $$$

Hes just about my fav all time Tiger

Tomnat Tigers

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 8, 2009
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Arsenal
Should be copping just as much flak for his game last night as the likes of Castagna, Cotchin and Rioli have received. Was awful in the air when we needed him most and the set shot he had from 40m out where he chose to kick around his body was complete arrogance. Im a fan of the around the corner kick but not from 40m out in a position that was perfect for a drop punt.

Tygrys

Club Legend
Mar 26, 2009
Dallas, Texas
AFL Club
Richmond
Should be copping just as much flak for his game last night as the likes of Castagna, Cotchin and Rioli have received. Was awful in the air when we needed him most and the set shot he had from 40m out where he chose to kick around his body was complete arrogance. Im a fan of the around the corner kick but not from 40m out in a position that was perfect for a drop punt.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one yelling at the screen when he chose to do that. You expect that kind of rubbish from Castagna. For someone considered elite in football smarts that was an unbelievably stupid thing to do.

Apr 30, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
No reason why it couldn’t have waited until our season ended to sign him or not

Shame

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I reckon it was completely unnecessary. Touch wood if he were to do a knee this year we'd have him retire whilst we still have to pay him in the salary cap. Could also make CCJ decide to leave. Was a silly move that could've waited til end of season. Also tall forwards fall off a cliff pretty quickly. One minute they're on top next minute they're completely cooked. Not many KPF's last longer than jack already has. Can't see why was necessary to sign instead of waiting til end of year.

Jul 3, 2008
eastern-most tiger in the nation
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Abers
I'm happy that it wasn't 2 years and if he gets injured next year he can actually retire mid year freeing up cap space. By signing players now we know what cap space is left for Bolton & CJ. Both probably take unders to stay. Maybe CJ just asks for 2 years, in the hope of being really in demand while still young.

Back