Player Watch #8: Jack Riewoldt

Remove this Banner Ad

It's because key forwards are like drummers.
Hard to find and don't grow on trees.
There's a reason why teams are always looking for key forwards and bands are always looking for drummers.
I know there is a punchline involving Sticks here somewhere but I can quite put my fingers on it ;)

It's because key forwards are like drummers.
Hard to find and don't grow on trees.
There's a reason why teams are always looking for key forwards and bands are always looking for drummers.
There is a reason why Jack played so well on Friday, because he wasn't required to push up to the wing trying to transition the ball into our forward half like in previous weeks. When Jack does that these days he doesn't have the legs or the strength to duke it out in packs then try and get back to a dangerous position.

Our mids were good and our transition was back, so the ball came in deep and fast and Jack was able to use all his forward craft, coming from all angles to get the ball. Jack can stay on as a third tall, let some young buck get up to the wings and back, Balta for me, and have Jack and Lynch inside 50. Those two work so well in tandem, rarely getting in each others way. CCJ was okay in in his first few games doing it, but you really need a mobile forward to push up hard then push back hard, not sure he can do that.

In 2011 I was working in Beijing teaching history and one of my few releases was watching footy on the AFL site and celebrating the occasional Tiger win. I submitted a song lyric to the Coodabeens for Greg Champion to sing which nearly made it. (He emailed me back about how much he like it). It was to the tune of "Summertime" from Porgy and Bess:

"Winter time and Jack Riewlodt is leaping
In the air, right in front of the sticks
But he's no good, all the pundits are saying,
'Cause goals are the only thing he kicks.

Modern footy, oh it prizes possession,
Dinky kicks all over the park
Kick a goal, you lose control of the footy
Best kick it backwards to an uncontested mark"

I can't remember the rest, except that the last two lines were about how modern footy was not about trying to win, but about "trying not to lose" and that this was "the gospel according to St Roos".

Par of what motivated me to write that at that time was watching a replay of the match early in 2011 when we beat North Melbourne and King made a comment during the game about Jack being selfish or something and hoe he should "try to be more like Petrie". I just looked back at the stats and in fact Petrie kicked 6 in that game to Jack's 5, but it was also clear to anyone who wasn't a mad North supporter that Jack (who'd won the Coleman the year before) was better than Petrie.

Was he more selfish though? That's the narrative and he even seems to buy into it himself a bit, but I don't know. I get that he has grown and become more team oriented and so on, but look at the stats. He was pretty high for tackles inside 50, for goal assists and so on back then.

In any case he clearly was, and is, better than Petrie, who's main contribution to North Melbourne's culture was to provide the dish they could grow it in.

There is a reason why Jack played so well on Friday, because he wasn't required to push up to the wing trying to transition the ball into our forward half like in previous weeks. When Jack does that these days he doesn't have the legs or the strength to duke it out in packs then try and get back to a dangerous position.

Our mids were good and our transition was back, so the ball came in deep and fast and Jack was able to use all his forward craft, coming from all angles to get the ball. Jack can stay on as a third tall, let some young buck get up to the wings and back, Balta for me, and have Jack and Lynch inside 50. Those two work so well in tandem, rarely getting in each others way. CCJ was okay in in his first few games doing it, but you really need a mobile forward to push up hard then push back hard, not sure he can do that.

Like that idea. use athleticism and leap. Take the ball and boot the s**t out of it into f50

But we need another KPD

Like that idea. use athleticism and leap. Take the ball and boot the sh*t out of it into f50

But we need another KPD
Easier to find than a KPF. With all the talent we have in the back 6 or 8, we only need a tall who can negate those big fast forwards like the King boys.
Was really looking forward to see what Miller could have done but for his injury. I also feel Balta is slightly wasted at FB.
I guess with Chol's emergence, and he is getting better, then perhaps we have that forward line covered. That was the first time we have seen all three play together in quite a while and it worked pretty well.

We all loved the toro but does anyone else think JR kicking around the corner after the final siren was silly? Almost showboating because the game was won?
It always looks that way when they miss the shot, it looks fine when they slot it :shrug:

We all loved the toro but does anyone else think JR kicking around the corner after the final siren was silly? Almost showboating because the game was won?

I think if you are a really sound drop punt kick, which Riewoldt is, there is absolutely no need to do anything else from that type of position. Balta as well, these guys are magnificent exponents of the drop punt. Unless on a tight angle, just go the drop punt, the likes of Lynch Balta Riewoldt will nail 75-80% of those type of shots, 45 metres or less inside 45 degree angle.

Last edited:
I think if you are a really sound drop punt kick, which Riewoldt is, there is absolutely no need to do anything else from that type of position. Balta as well, these guys are magnificent exponents of the drop punt. Unless on a tight angle, just go the drop punt, the likes of Lynch Balta Riewoldt will nail 75-80% of those type of shots, 45 metres or less inside 45 degree angle.
Exactly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jimmy Jess was the master of the torp.

What Reiwoldt did that night Jess did all the time. Jimmy Jess was the longest and most consistent kicker of the torp I have seen. The crowd always knew what was coming when he went back for a kick but it still didn't stop everyone gasping in amazement when he got hold of one. His marking was also phenomenal. Jess had some serious serious weapons.

What Reiwoldt did that night Jess did all the time. Jimmy Jess was the longest and most consistent kicker of the torp I have seen. The crowd always knew what was coming when he went back for a kick but it still didn't stop everyone gasping in amazement when he got hold of one. His marking was also phenomenal. Jess had some serious serious weapons.
One of my favourite Tigers ever.

726 Goals now. Two more and he'll have kicked more than Carey and some spud named Hudson.
Another 23 before retirement would put him above Sav Rocca and into 14th on the all time goalkickers list. 12th is Richo and 13th is KB. Illustrious company. If it's his last year I don't see him catching KB who is 52 goals ahead. If he does pass Rocca, Richmond will have 4 in the top 15 goalkickers of all time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back