Player Watch #8: Jack Riewoldt

Oct 8, 2011
Hobart
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Tasmania
What a terrible take man.

It is pretty well known in footy circles that Freo come hard at Jack in 2012 or 13 with big money. He also signed a new contract in 2016 or 17 then extended before that contract was done to allow the club to spread out his payments when Lynch come in.

He is a pure Richmond man.
He also turned down an offer to move to Essendon at the end of 2016.

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Jack & Trent are all Richmond and love the club the players and the massive fan base

Neither player has coaching aspirations from what i can see so there is no play 1 year then transition to coaching hopes that may entice them

$300k is not huge in football terms but its a bloody good salary in the real world and hard to replace

For Trent its a no brainer and gives him an extra year to transition and realistically will only play 13-16 games in 2023
For Jack he remains in the spot light to develop his media career another year and hopefully takes a full time media gig when retired

Both boys retire after 2023 getting full value out of their football careers and become Richmond Legends

Feb 4, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Jack Riewoldt would be super value at $300k. You only have to listen to the likes of Cumberland talk about the help he gives them. He is essentially an on field coach who can still more than hold his own as well as stepping up with the late clutch goals in the final, that really should have won us the match. So $300k is definitely under his actual value to the club. But he would know that the club has to prioritise other players for the future, thus the low offer.

I really hope he plays another season at Richmond, he can only enhance his own legacy really, there would not be high expectations upon him, another season anything like 2022 would be a superb finish to a superb career.

I have really admired the way the club has handled the older premiership players, but also the players themselves have been great at knowing when to bow out. Edwards maybe went on a little too long but I am fine with that as we didn’t really have a suitable player ready to take his place.

Come on Jack, sign the deal and give us one last great season. 😍

All Aust

Oct 29, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
This is so far from the truth. Just like his cousin Nick at the Saints, Jack is as loyal as they come and has taken less to stay with previous contracts.

I've got no doubt him and Cotch will sign and take less so we can bring in their eventual replacements.
Jack would play for $2.00 if you gave him the captaincy. Jack would consider a '23 premiership Captain achievable and worthy on its own. Be a absolute pest of a captain on the coaches but.

Blinger

Club Legend
Sep 10, 2005
Geelong
AFL Club
Richmond
Dimma said exit interviews with Jack & Cotch tomorrow - didn't give much away, but intimated he anticipated a lot of disagreement & really didn't know if they would play on

Watch this space
Maybe Dimma is thinking they might not like being told they aren't guaranteed to be top 22 for next season, as they look to expand the opportunities for others on the list. That's my take on his words anyway.

Apr 6, 2005
La Côte d'Azur
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Everton FC
Maybe Dimma is thinking they might not like being told they aren't guaranteed to be top 22 for next season, as they look to expand the opportunities for others on the list. That's my take on his words anyway.
There's absolutely nothing wrong with that kind of message either. I'd also hope that Jack and Trent have been around the block enough times to not only understand the message, but to have expected it.

Charlie Pannam

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
If he pulls the pin, it’ll be very interesting to see our forwardline structure next year.

Dusty semi permanent forward
Miller?
Ryan?
trade for a Hayden McLean type?

could look like

Rioli, Miller/Ryan/?, Bolton
Martin, Lynch , Cumberland

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
Jack wants to play on, surely he does not retire over a few bucks. He's been well paid, will still earn more on 300k than most Aussies, plus has the media stuff and that will also be a lucrative career in 2024 and beyond.

Cotch, no numbers around his contract, and haven't heard him speak as much. He is more likely to retire than Jack, as he may see the writing on the wall with us looking to bring on other mids that basically play his position.

But I still think it's unlikely the 3 time flag captain goes out by not accepting a 1 year deal. He will play on, if he can swallow some pride and accept his role will change.

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
Fingers crossed, he’s the type we need. Not sure to be truthful though, he showed some good signs, but is a work in progress.
I’d be surprised if he plays straight up next year. Needs more time/development
Bauer showed a fair bit I think. Has very good attack on the ball and sticky mids. Has the aggression that many of our other tried and failed talls didn't have and you need as a key forward. Reckon he might surprise next year.

JR8 is in some ways worth more than $300K. But with where the RFC is right now, not more really.

I want him to stay, as well as Cotch. But I don't want them blocking a renewal of the playing list, and transition within the team.

Reckon Jack would think a 1 club player is worth a lot. Only if a bottom club came with a playing coach role would he take ti I reckon.

yuwu1000

Rookie
Jul 4, 2006
AFL Club
Richmond
....to think we don't get a "thank you game" or at least a heads up in our last game that they were going off to the sunset seems odd.

Those 2 deserve it (especially as both played in the finals, so it wasn't gifted). Obviously in their minds, they were going to keep going.

I see both playing a role next year.

BTW, the only team I think J8 would go to other than Richmond is if Tassy started a team....

Back