Player Watch #8: Jack Riewoldt

Remove this Banner Ad

Wow did he run over your cat. What a s**t take

Go on counter with 2 decent things he did last night then. And was he not looking slow and not able to jump last year? We all get slower, less agile as we get older. 99% of KPF's are retired by his age. Anyone with effort can get stronger they just need to put in the time lifting. He didn't. It shows every week.

Let’s not forget that Jack came back on the expectation that he would be rested probably every four or five games; and would likely be the third forward (behind Dusty and Lynch and maybe Ryan/ Bauer if they came on).

As it turns out Lynch broke his foot in the game Jack was rested.

Nankervis injured to. Soldo also out for long periods. Ryan has had to play ruck #1 and not so much KPF.

Bauer looks better as a back (but I still hope to see it flipped back to forward at VFL level soon).

Dusty going through the midfield to get him back to his best.

It’s easy to say Jack is washed up and done. But this wasn’t supposed to be his season. He wasn’t supposed to be KPF#1 for 6+ weeks. It was a transition year that hasn’t gone anywhere near to plan.

Still have to give credit where it’s due.

Let’s not forget that Jack came back on the expectation that he would be rested probably every four or five games; and would likely be the third forward (behind Dusty and Lynch and maybe Ryan/ Bauer if they came on).

As it turns out Lynch broke his foot in the game Jack was rested.

Nankervis injured to. Soldo also out for long periods. Ryan has had to play ruck #1 and not so much KPF.

Bauer looks better as a back (but I still hope to see it flipped back to forward at VFL level soon).

Dusty going through the midfield to get him back to his best.

It’s easy to say Jack is washed up and done. But this wasn’t supposed to be his season. He wasn’t supposed to be KPF#1 for 6+ weeks. It was a transition year that hasn’t gone anywhere near to plan.

Still have to give credit where it’s due.
Heavy workload has certainly not helped . He’s looked spent since the Melbourne game.

Made Zerk ******* Thatcher look like Dustin Fletcher. That's at least 5 games Jacks opponent has been in the bests of the opposition.

Should be rested this week - dont give me any of this crap that we need him in there without Lynch. The output of a young guy like bauer or Biggy wouldnt be much less than what he's been giving us atm, 2/5's of nothing is still nothing
I’m still trying to work out the logic of playing Bauer back in the VFL.
He hasn’t been in the AFL system that long, surely he’s still learning leading patterns etc.
Prepare him the best we can if/ when an opportunity arises

I’m still trying to work out the logic of playing Bauer back in the VFL.
He hasn’t been in the AFL system that long, surely he’s still learning leading patterns etc.
Prepare him the best we can if/ when an opportunity arises

I think it was initially to get better understanding of how we move the ball from the back half, and understand what that means for his positioning as a forward.

Bit of the old, understand your opponent better to improve.

Also think it could be to give Bradtke some space to operate. They seemingly got into each others way when they were both down there.

Then he started playing well; and he’s stayed down there.

I hope we swing him back forward soon.

I think it was initially to get better understanding of how we move the ball from the back half, and understand what that means for his positioning as a forward.

Bit of the old, understand your opponent better to improve.

Also think it could be to give Bradtke some space to operate. They seemingly got into each others way when they were both down there.

Then he started playing well; and he’s stayed down there.

I hope we swing him back forward soon.
We need to develop him in that 3rd tall role (forward) which is his best opportunity of making it and a list deficiency.

With Bradtke back, I’d play him as that 3rd tall.
If we grab a kpf in the MSD , then play Bradke, May (or whoever we take) And Bauer as that 3rd high/lead up forward .

Forward development is top priority in the VFL system imo

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hope we all realise and appreciate that we're watching Jack play potentially his last handful of games, we'll never see him play again after this year. I recommend that we all chill out on the fella and enjoy his victory lap.

Richmond have rare seen a player of his ilk in our history...
Yes but we need to give the poor bastard a rest.

Cotchin has come back well after a week off, time for Jack to put the feet up for a week.

Last edited:
Please call time on career, offering nothing to us & everything to the opposition

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Please call time on your watching career. He's giving us everything. We literally have no one else to play this role and he is player through injury and age to give us something. He's giving literally everything he's got.

If Lynch wasn't injured, he would have played a few less games already just from rests he needs.

Pathetic that supporters talk s**t about him instead of appreciate his effort.

If he gets rested what does our forward line look like?

Who partners Sampson Ryan? Ben Miller?

You would fully expect Cumberland to come in next week. I honestly think if we plan on resting JR we should go with a smaller forward line & just tell Ryan to bring the ball to ground tap to our smaller players at ground level.

I've been supporting Richmond since the early mid nineties. I wasn't shackled with our 80's failure or save our skins campaign. I supported the club because my Dad supported the club. And my Grandparents supported the club.

It was tough in the nineties. My Dad was apologetic, hoping that I could experience the success and happiness he has seen through the 67-80 period. He had seen the dark day of the late 80s. I was blissfully unaware. Just loved the club. We were brilliant before, and of course we could do it again. It seemed reasonable logic to me.

1995 was the first year I loved AFL. Richo was the attraction. He was young and a star! I didn't know much about the game back then, but he looked liked someone I would like (maybe because he was young and looked like a rock star with his long hair).

Richo as we all know was a brilliant, yet flawed genius. He kept us going. Through that time he was my favourite player.

Then Jack came along...

Another forward from Tassie. We gotta bit of luck with these guys looking at the history.

We were absolutely shot when Jack came in. He was a young player, and in the shadow of his cousin Nick. Richmond as a club were in shambles. We had spent decades in the wilderness. And yet we were only getting worse. the 2008-2009 years were bad. And Richo was coming to an end. It was sad. Richo could always keep our spirits up through the hard times. He cared. He felt the pain of our loses we told ourselves.

By then there was Jack. What to do with Jack? Too skinny to be a forward, not quick enough to be a flanker. What to do with Jack... Even his name was fun. Jack.

2010 ushered in a new era for the Richmond Football club. A new coach with a new unheralded team of nameless players, and a new board. A few promising players like Cotchin and Riewoldt would team up with new drafts like Dustin Martin. A few mid range recruits like Miller, and Maric to help along the way. (I think Maric may have come in a few seasons later but anyway).

2010 stared as badly as it could. So bad that the bookies paid out on any bets for the Tigers winning the winning spoon early in the season. It's pretty crazy to think about it looking back, especially as we didn't win the spoon.

We got our first win in a rainy day in Adelaide against Port Adelaide. I think it might have been round 10 or 11. It had been a rough time till them. But we won. Dimma had his first win as coach. The young players could celebrate! It wasn't much, but it was something.

Then something strange stared happening. A team that was widely believed as the worst in the league stared winning games.

They had a belief that they were better than the footy media said they were.

And it was Jumping Jack Flash as the front man.

He would soon after kick 10 goals in a game against West Coast, and would win that seasons Coleman medal despite Richmond finishing a poorly 15th.

I didn't think I could love a player like I loved Richo, but I did with Jack. Not just because he kicked a lot of goals and took hangers, and won Coleman medals, though they are great achievements. But because he made footy fun again. He was exciting, and he was ours.

Cotchin is rightfully credited with transforming Richmond into a Premiership team. But Riewoldt is similary deserving in my opinion. Cotchin is calm. Jack is passionate. He wears his heart on his sleeve. He feels our pain. The same as Richo. Sometimes he can't control his emotions! He feels our pain. He feels our joy. He matured from a brash talented goal kicker into a great clubman.

Jack is my all time favourite Richmond player. And I didn't think that was possible when he began and Richo retired.

Apologies if I have rambled on a bit, just wanted to show Jack some love because he is, and has been a champion of the club.
This is superb

Think I'd rather see Mate Colina out there with a Zimmerman frame than Jack ATM. Needs a fortnight off minimum. Play Bauer, Bradtke and Biggie and see who wants to take it with both hands.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back