Player Watch #8: Jack Riewoldt

Remove this Banner Ad

21 goals in 11 games whilst getting Raped by opposition backmen and umpires

We will miss Jack next year
He is a shadow of the player he was, and still doing alright. I understand the criticism he cops right now, but he is still on track for a 40 goal season. Other than Lynch we don't have another player capable of that on our list. And either do many other sides in the comp. He is banged up and getting double and tripled teamed, but he is still providing a decent forward target.

It's a shame to see him lose some contest that he would have won years ago, but he is the ultimate clubman right now. He would be in better condition if we had other options and we could rest him too.

We will miss him no doubt. I think his leadership is very valuable at the club right now during a time of change. His absence next season will hopefully see others try to stake their claim, just as he did when Richo departed.

This is a big if, but IF Jack wanted to go on, and he remains uninjured this year, why not give him another season?

We'd have been royally ****ed without him this year, with Lynch down. He's still a formidable target, he still brings the ball to ground if he doesn't mark (which is a huge part of our gameplan), he provides leadership and structure and he's still kicking 2 goals a game.

I dont buy the "he's hindering someone else's progress". If someone in the VFL was knocking the door down, they'd be straight in. And take his place. But they're not.

I think Samson will be good with another year under his belt. And will be a decent tandem act with Lynch over the next 2-3 years. Cant see the harm of having Jack on the list as a 2nd or 3rd tall (and as THE key forward as we're seeing at the moment).

He seems the ultimate team man. Give him a PT coaching gig, as a player. Let him know he might play VFL at times. He'd be amazing for their development also. I cant see the harm in giving him another year if he wants it. He's so durable.

Let me provide some perspective …. here are the 2023 stats of Jack v ‘budding superstar forward who is 23yo and played 68 games in one of the highest scoring teams in the league’:

Disposals : 9.6 v 11.1
Marks: 4.5 v 4.8
Goals: 1.9 v 1.9
GA: 0.5 v 0.9
Tackles: 1.9 v 1.4
CP: 5.2 v 4.2
Cont marks: 1.9 v 1.0
Marks I50: 2.5 v 2.3
SI’s: 4.7 v 5.6
I50’s : 1.9 v 1.7

So that’s Jack versus……

Darcy Fogarty

As you can see, he’s going reasonably well for an old man playing on the oppo’s best defender every week.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

So he's now on 776. Needs 24 goals, in 10 games, assuming we don't play finals, to get to 800. Or 2.4 goals a game. I reckon, he will be rested 2-3 times. It's going to be hard but not impossible. He needs a few more bags like on the weekend.

So he's now on 776. Needs 24 goals, in 10 games, assuming we don't play finals, to get to 800. Or 2.4 goals a game. I reckon, he will be rested 2-3 times. It's going to be hard but not impossible. He needs a few more bags like on the weekend.
Only way he gets to 800 if he kicks a big bag against Eagles/Hawks/Norf

If he's going to retire like most people think he is, I cant really see the point in resting him at all. He might as well play if he's fit.

theres 11 games left but yeah might get a few more rests

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He needs some help. Bauer leads hard and strong and launches at the ball and would take a backman away from Jack. We have needed a leading forward all year and have tried all but the most obvious forward we have at the lower level. Even Bradtke, or on the weekends form Biggy.

If Collins had played no way Jack kicks a bag, so he needs help even though he is still great when the opportunity comes his way.

Jack had one of those games where you feel he still has it, but next week he will probably be down & let's be honest Giants backline had no Taylor or Haynes.
What does the backline have to do with the last seconds he got the 2 touches that set up Pickett's goal? The guy is a superstar even at this age I wouldn't swap him for anyone on our list simply because we don't anyone.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back