Player Watch #8: Jack Riewoldt

Remove this Banner Ad

The SPurs of San Antonio had one of the best centres in the game in Robinson. He got injured and the team went on to meteor okrity, but they secured the no 1 draft pick. They got once in a generational player called Tim Duncan, who like Robinson was an upstanding citizen and well educated. Robinson taught TD everything then there came a point where Robbo passed the baton to TD and let him be Da Man!

I'm going to throw a bit of controversy in here...

Jack <=> Richo.

Richo's individual highs were higher, but Jack's all-round team play and creativity gets him up there. His tap to Martin in the prelim against Geelong is in my All-Time greatest Richmond Highlights (don't worry - there's a lot of Richo's in there, too - but his are almost all individual).

I'm going to throw a bit of controversy in here...

Jack <=> Richo.

Richo's individual highs were higher, but Jack's all-round team play and creativity gets him up there. His tap to Martin in the prelim against Geelong is in my All-Time greatest Richmond Highlights (don't worry - there's a lot of Richo's in there, too - but his are almost all individual).

Gotta remember Richo played in some dreadful sides.
If he had the luxury of our mids feeding him he couldve kicked 900 goals.
Instead he played in eff all finals

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gotta remember Richo played in some dreadful sides.
If he had the luxury of our mids feeding him he couldve kicked 900 goals.
Instead he played in eff all finals

So did Jack. He didn't play Finals in his first 6 years. He won his first Coleman in a side that finished 15th (out of 16), and his second in a side that finished 12th. He's also stood up in a couple of GFs (yes, Richo never got a chance), and he was our best in last year's Prelim (and worst in this year's, which shows you can't put too much emphasis on small sample sizes). Jack has also had to put up with Richmond's 'chaos ball' era. (Richo had that too, but in his case it wasn't deliberate:cool:).

But if anything, Jack has become better now that he has to play the creator as well as the target. His last 3 years have been exceptional.

Realistically...how long can JR8 keep playing effectively for us?!?

32 next year. He's never been a quick player, always used his smarts. As long as he can still jump at the ball I reckon another 2 seasons (including next year). That'd take him to 34, hopefully 300 games and over 700 goals (and another flag). If that happens, he'll go down as one of the greats of the club and he can hand over to the next up & comer. We won't see the like of this guy again for some time I reckon.

32 next year. He's never been a quick player, always used his smarts. As long as he can still jump at the ball I reckon another 2 seasons (including next year). That'd take him to 34, hopefully 300 games and over 700 goals (and another flag). If that happens, he'll go down as one of the greats of the club and he can hand over to the next up & comer. We won't see the like of this guy again for some time I reckon.
Only 30. 31 end of this month

what a fantastic chain of play !!! Shai can bloody move, shocking kick for goal from JR tho...

How was that not a 50 on Harris Andrews? Lynch hadn’t moved off his line and Andrew grabs his arm to stop him handballing the ball. It just couldn’t be play on so it had to be 50.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back