Senior 8. Jake Kolodjashnij (2014-)

Remove this Banner Ad

Excuse me if this quote is not precise . He was talking about twins being seperated..hes knows a bit about it as he went thru it...

" of course we ended up together...not that we will chase Kade " ... Not much I thought. What a beautiful play. He Jake is a very good player but would it really surprise if down the track they both want to be together?

The Reids and Browns are not yet together.
Not the norm for it to happen.

At 192cms, athletic, good foot skills, etc sounds more like a Mackie type than a genuine key position player to me. Might play on the 3rd tall but possibly play on a medium type too?

quigley is not impressed

49 West Coast

With Glass nearing the end I could see them getting some insurance for any injury that MacKenzie and Brown might suffer. There has been some talk of JK going as high as 20 but I do not really understand why. He is a good athlete but is a bit undersized and has not really shown all that much. Around this stage of the draft though he would be a solid pick.

Jake Kolodjashnij
DOB 9/8/95 Ht 193 Wt 87

Jake is the twin of Kade and the question that the team who takes Kade will need to consider is whether to take Jake as well. It would certainly help settle Kade in you would think and if a team actually needed FB prospect then you could do worse than take JK who is a reasonable prospect himself. One thing that would have a bearing on the decision for me, if I was making it, was the amount that KK improved when he was called up to the AIS. His confidence skyrocketed and so did his play. Given the familial similarities it would be not be stretching things too far to suggest that a similar spike could happen to Jake if he was selected and the light went on for him. The tools look to be in place for him.

Jake is about three cms taller and 10kgs heavier than his brother and will be a key position at AFL level. He has a much more solid frame and looks like he will have a fair bit of bulk about him by the time he has finished his development. He is a very similar athlete to his brother though and the only real differences could be attributed to the additional weight that JK is carrying. He is about 0.1 seconds slower than his brother over the first 5m and apart from that his speed is virtually identical. Overall Jake's pace is fine but a bit of work could be done to improve his explosiveness. He is an excellent leap finishing 4th in the right foot jump and 6th in the left foot jump and in the top 15 of the standing jump. His agility is also excellent for a key position prospect finishing just outside the top 20% and similarly for the 3km. He ran over 14.2 in the beep as well which is good for a KPD prospect.

These tests pretty much reflect his game play. Maybe a tad slow off the mark but overall his speed seems good enough to stay with most key forwards. His turning circle is good and he stays with his man pretty comfortably on changes of direction. With the ball in the air he is not beaten very often and covers bigger opponents pretty well. He also plays games out well and it is rare for his opponent to run him into the ground.

Kolodjashnij has played some time up forward but I don't see that as an option at AFL level. When I saw him playing that role for Tasmania he was well and truly overshadowed by his brother, Nankervis and even Fox. He offered very little and didn't really seem able to impose himself on the game.

Down back he can be a bit invisible as well but importantly he has the ability to make his opponent similarly fade out of the game. He is a defensive minded KPD who does not get involved in a lot of his team’s forward movement. I would suggest that he will need to focus on this more at the next level. He is a strong mark and spoil of the ball and has good instincts about when to do what. Kolodjashnij has a good ability to keep a tight rein on his man whilst not losing sight of what is happening up the field. If something happens which requires him to react he can. JK is a bit slim hipped but seems to have good strength through the core and controls his man pretty well in body on body situations.

The difference in skill level between he and his brother is quite large. Jake is not the decisive decision maker that his brother is and can dither a bit when he gets the ball. Against and AFL forward press this could be a terminal problem and it is an area that he needs to improve. By foot he lacks some zip and whilst his kicks are not particularly loopy they do take quite a while to get to their intended targets. His ability to weight his kicks to hit targets where they want them is also quite poor and he regularly bounces his kicks to targets. Overall he seems to lack confidence in his kicking and this is reflected in a K:H ratio of almost 1:2. The funny thing is that his handball technique is not much better than his kicks. He has a bit of a throwing handball style rather than punching through it and his handballs like his kicks end up lacking zip.

Still with his skills I am looking at his brother and thinking what could be with some work and confidence. I have little doubt that they will improve significantly once he gets to the next level and with the athleticism he possesses and the general defensive skill set I think he is worth a punt with a lower pick.

Jade Koledshki!

Go Catters
I heard the radio announcer this morning pronounce the name - supposedly correctly - "KOLLA-DASH-NEE". What will we end up calling him, "Dasher" or "Kolla"?

Was Jake a steal at 41, or can twin brothers be so far apart in talent / value?

Of the three draft picks this one interests me the most (only because I admit to not knowing anything about Lang and our second pick!)

Jake and Kade were interviewed briefly on Fox last night. Kade seemed hyped and "gabbled a bit" but our Jake looked and sounded cool and thoughtful. I was impressed. Just a minute of vision, but it gave a glimpse of what Wells and Co were thinking. A very teachable, grounded kid (Jake) with a nice frame and some reasonable skills to work with.

Plus if Kade battles to get past the stellar group of mids being groomed at Gold coast then Geelong would be in pole position to lure him . I don't remember Chris Scott's interview all that well but he did bring up Kade and seemed to be concentrating hard so as not to mention this possibilty.

I heard the radio announcer this morning pronounce the name - supposedly correctly - "KOLLA-DASH-NEE". What will we end up calling him, "Dasher" or "Kolla"?

Was Jake a steal at 41, or can twin brothers be so far apart in talent / value?

Of the three draft picks this one interests me the most (only because I admit to not knowing anything about Lang and our second pick!)

It can't be Dasher to me as we've already had a Dasher ;) Kola, The Coca-Kola Kid, Koala, I'm sure something similar will stick. I doubt I'll ever be able to remember how to spell his name though!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reckon this kid saved the draft a bit for us. Good value pick at 41 with a lot of upside.
Good size and apparent footy smarts which we like.

Not to say Lang and Jansen won't be players, just they probably weren't our first option picks at 16/36.
Whereas I think we read this guy out fairly quickly at 41. :thumbsu:
That's my take too.

You'd have to think Wells & Balme had every contingency covered in terms of who was still available at 16 and 36.

Wouldn't it be funny if he ends up being the better brother down the track?

It would be funny because the only time I can remember that kind of happening (in any sport) was with Chris and Brad Scott (and while they were 'identical twins', they were built very differently, like the Kolodjashnijs). Chris clearly had the better career, but Brad was probably better for the Lions in those last couple of years. Of course, with some twins (Browns, Lonies, Wakelins), they just seemed like practically the same player for most of their careers, which makes you wonder why one was preferred to the other in the first place.

I can't actually remember fraternal twins playing AFL before...when was the last pair? Now that I've asked, there's probably a pair going around at the moment.

What's the deal with brothers or twins being better if they are together? Almost everyone I know hates/has issues with their siblings and fights like hell to be better than them. Odds are better than even that Jake would want to shove his brother's higher pick someplace where the sun don't shine, and prove to the world that he'll be the Jake on the make.

http://madmondayshow.com/2013/07/21/player-profile-jake-kolodjashnij/
Found this little piece while Googling. The article was written in July and it said Jake plays like Andrew Mackie.Also said:

STRENGTHS: Strong in a 1v1 contest, reads the ball very well in the air, versatile, AFL-ready body, collects the ball more than a key defender should, courageous​
WEAKNESSES: Below-average at ground level, Can be intimidated against better-quality opposition​

What's the deal with brothers or twins being better if they are together? Almost everyone I know hates/has issues with their siblings and fights like hell to be better than them. Odds are better than even that Jake would want to shove his brother's higher pick someplace where the sun don't shine, and prove to the world that he'll be the Jake on the make.

I think twins have a very different dynamic. Siblings are often compared to each other, but with twins, because they usually play in the same junior teams and are obviously going to be pretty similar in their physical development they can go either way. Most twins that I knew growing up were either inseparable, or they couldn't stand each other. I assume the Selwoods didn't have much of an issue with going to opposite corners of Australia to play AFL; they didn't even go to the same high school.

Actually, now that I think of it, maybe Adam Selwood was an example of the 'lesser twin' (well, he was selected much later in the draft than Troy and Troy was the first to get a rising star nomination) ultimately having a better career.

Reckon this kid saved the draft a bit for us. Good value pick at 41 with a lot of upside.
Good size and apparent footy smarts which we like.

Not to say Lang and Jansen won't be players, just they probably weren't our first option picks at 16/36.
Whereas I think we read this guy out fairly quickly at 41. :thumbsu:

I like your detective work..

I think twins have a very different dynamic. Siblings are often compared to each other, but with twins, because they usually play in the same junior teams and are obviously going to be pretty similar in their physical development they can go either way. Most twins that I knew growing up were either inseparable, or they couldn't stand each other. I assume the Selwoods didn't have much of an issue with going to opposite corners of Australia to play AFL; they didn't even go to the same high school.

Actually, now that I think of it, maybe Adam Selwood was an example of the 'lesser twin' (well, he was selected much later in the draft than Troy and Troy was the first to get a rising star nomination) ultimately having a better career.

Wasn't CS selected way ahead of Brad?
Brad may have been rookied, via Hawthorn iirc.
CS was a rising star nom??
Or am I just confabulating here?
Somewhere in my memory bank, I have this notion that CS was the esteemed player, and later the Lions sought BS as well, to have the full set. Brad ended up being more than serviceable too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back