Player Watch #8: Jake Lever – Signed until 2028

Remove this Banner Ad

That's what I meant. He's no guarantee to be on the list in 3 years. Feel like every year is a new battle for him to keep his spot and I love AnB

Yeah he doesnt fit the timeline for us and how long Max has left. Just saying if Max wasn't around I think he could easily be our captain short term.

That's what I meant. He's no guarantee to be on the list in 3 years. Feel like every year is a new battle for him to keep his spot and I love AnB
Remember when our defence for him at the tribunal was threatening to delist him if he copped a 4 week ban.

Remember when our defence for him at the tribunal was threatening to delist him if he copped a 4 week ban.
Think we tried to get rid of him as well in 2020 with Tmac and no one really wanted them

Yeah he doesnt fit the timeline for us and how long Max has left. Just saying if Max wasn't around I think he could easily be our captain short term.
Oh yeah for a 1 year captaincy job for next year say I'd have him 4th behind Viney and Lever.

Think we tried to get rid of him as well in 2020 with Tmac and no one really wanted them
FMD, still bewilders me we extended Tmac for 3 years after 2021. Chol as a FA was sitting right there too.

FMD, still bewilders me we extended Tmac for 3 years after 2021. Chol as a FA was sitting right there too.
Rightly or wrongly goody is very loyal to his senior core
Even back to Jones and Jetta probably getting a year extra they didn't really warrant.

We just won the flag and TMac played a more than handy role in the success. An extension was fine but should’ve been two years, not three. Brown’s contract should’ve been for three seasons, not four. Why they gave a battler like Harmes five years is an even bigger mystery. There are probably one or two other examples.

I hope our FD has learned its lesson on this stuff because you can very quickly go from looking like the ‘good guy’ throwing extra years around to average players like confetti, to a dunce who compromised the club’s premiership window by being careless and imprudent.

We just won the flag and TMac played a more than handy role in the success. An extension was fine but should’ve been two years, not three. Brown’s contract should’ve been for three seasons, not four. Why they gave a battler like Harmes five years is an even bigger mystery.

I hope our FD has learned its lesson on this stuff because you can very quickly go from looking like the ‘good guy’ throwing extra years around like confetti, to a dunce who compromised the club’s premiership window by being careless and imprudent.
Tmac started 2021 okay after two very lean seasons. He then got injured and played maybe 1 good game for the rest of the season and basically got carried through the Grand Final.

I'm happy he was there as he's been a big part of our side for a long time and deserved to be a part of the success but extending him at that point was bloody stupid. I think he still had 2022 to play out on his contract but it was so obvious his body was cooked.

Tmac started 2021 okay after two very lean seasons. He then got injured and played maybe 1 good game for the rest of the season and basically got carried through the Grand Final.

I'm happy he was there as he's been a big part of our side for a long time and deserved to be a part of the success but extending him at that point was bloody stupid. I think he still had 2022 to play out on his contract but it was so obvious his body was cooked.

I don’t know that that’s accurate. He played 23 of a possible 25 games in 2021 so was showing durability. Kicked 2’s and 3’s and a 4 in eight games through the season and had a good game against the Cats in the prelim.

An extension was always on the cards but never the ridiculous length of it. An extra year sure but nothing more. Certainly a poor list management decision.

Last edited:
I don’t know that that’s accurate. He played 23 of a possible 25 games in 2021 so was showing durability. Kicked 2’s and 3’s and a 4 in eight games and had a good game against the Cats in the prelim.

An extension was always on the cards but never the length of it has been ridiculous. Certainly a bad list management decision.
I rated the first half of his season extremely highly. The Sydney game was probably one of the best games hes ever played. His second half of the year was very average by comparison, his best game at that time was against Port with 3 goals but he never quite got back to that early season form unfortunately.

There was no need to extend him at all as he still had a year left on his contract. Only explanation I can think of is it was very backended and we gave him an extra couple of years to flatten the money out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I rated the first half of his season extremely highly. The Sydney game was probably one of the best games hes ever played. His second half of the year was very average by comparison, his best game at that time was against Port with 3 goals but he never quite got back to that early season form unfortunately.

There was no need to extend him at all as he still had a year left on his contract. Only explanation I can think of is it was very backended and we gave him an extra couple of years to flatten the money out.

Was likely back ended as he signed that deal in 2018 when he had his best season as a forward.

Was likely back ended as he signed that deal in 2018 when he had his best season as a forward.
Only thing that makes sense is that we signed all these big deals in 2021 and were gonna put ourselves in massive strife if we ate his contract in 2022. Maybe we were offering to split his contract over two years and his manager wanted an extra year added on for the trouble or something.

I would suspect Viney would probably get another crack at the Captaincy after Max, a bit more older, wiser and toned down a tad. That said Lever would be a good captain

Remove this Banner Ad

Back