Player Watch #8: Jake Lever – Signed until 2028

Remove this Banner Ad

I come in peace i always hate seeing players go down with ACL injuries, having done 2 my self. Lars unfortunately is not good long term for the knee and some evidence is suggesting it can cause synovial inflammation. Its sad but i hope he doesnt change his attack on the ball once his back because he and your backline are awesome to watch at the moment.
Well I appreciated the info ... geez!

I’d figured that the Lars wasn’t all it was once touted to be, given just about no one takes that option anymore. I always see ACL’s as a 2 year injury anyway, one year to get back to footy, and another year to get the confidence back in it ... which sucks, but he’s done one and still went on to be a fine player, hopefully the second will be a similarly minor roadblock for him.

Well I appreciated the info ... geez!

I’d figured that the Lars wasn’t all it was once touted to be, given just about no one takes that option anymore. I always see ACL’s as a 2 year injury anyway, one year to get back to footy, and another year to get the confidence back in it ... which sucks, but he’s done one and still went on to be a fine player, hopefully the second will be a similarly minor roadblock for him.

Don't encourage him. None of us want to see West Coast fans coming on here and getting all sensible up in our s**t.

I can't believe I'm the first to say this, but i reckon the bloke who could play the Lever role (sweeping across half back/good overhead) was playing on the weekend. Not as tall but a better user: Bayley Fritsch.

He looked brilliant in the role however I'd be nervous if he was stood one out in the goalsquare. Provided we can hand off his man so he doesn't have too often I agree wholeheartedly with this.

I'd stick Hibberd in Lever's role, and maybe throw in a player like Smith who can intercept and take marks to help. Hibbo thrives as the main man on the D50 arc.

If I've learned anything from watching David Neitz and now Tom McDonald go about it, it's that a decent spell in the backline does a gun key-forward, make. With that in mind, why not give Sam Weideman the chance to take Lever's spot? He has all the necessary attributes height weight etc, good hands, good attack on the ball and man, decent field kick..

Of course the fact that he's never trained in the back half MAY ultimately go against him (fair deal breaker)... but...Harry Petty is too young to gift games too and I'm not sure Frost or Keilty are up to scratch. I don't mind the Joel Smith idea but maybe he's just that bit too short?

If Sam can be a stopper on the bigger forwards it allows oscar and hibbo to be the more loose defenders. if it doesn't work out then go back to Frosty but at least Sam would get some valuable 'learnings' out of it and Lever steps right back into his old role in 2019.

If I've learned anything from watching David Neitz and now Tom McDonald go about it, it's that a decent spell in the backline does a gun key-forward, make. With that in mind, why not give Sam Weideman the chance to take Lever's spot? He has all the necessary attributes height weight etc, good hands, good attack on the ball and man, decent field kick..

Of course the fact that he's never trained in the back half MAY ultimately go against him (fair deal breaker)... but...Harry Petty is too young to gift games too and I'm not sure Frost or Keilty are up to scratch. I don't mind the Joel Smith idea but maybe he's just that bit too short?

If Sam can be a stopper on the bigger forwards it allows oscar and hibbo to be the more loose defenders. if it doesn't work out then go back to Frosty but at least Sam would get some valuable 'learnings' out of it and Lever steps right back into his old role in 2019.
It's an interesting idea. I'd say this would be more likely if we were no chance of playing finals. I'm not even sure Weid has ever trained or played defence before? I'd go with Frost or Smith. I like the look of Petty, but realistically he's probably not ready unfortunately..

It's an interesting idea. I'd say this would be more likely if we were no chance of playing finals. I'm not even sure Weid has ever trained or played defence before? I'd go with Frost or Smith. I like the look of Petty, but realistically he's probably not ready unfortunately..

Yeah I agree there's zero chance it will happen but it's food for thought. if we had access to a hindsight machine I would have loved to have trialled weids in the backline down at casey from the start of the year but such is life.

Also a really good chance for a young fella to get his hands on the footy and learn what forwards don't like. I thought Hogan should have spent some time back there aswell for the same reason. Hogans too good now but I'd like to see weid have 6 weeks back there.

Also a really good chance for a young fella to get his hands on the footy and learn what forwards don't like. I thought Hogan should have spent some time back there aswell for the same reason. Hogans too good now but I'd like to see weid have 6 weeks back there.

If Lever had have gone down in the anzac eve game instead, we could have almost plugged Weids in for that stretch where we played dons, saints, gold coast, carlton etc and built up a really good body of work for him in the backline. I think the fact now it's getting closer to the business end of the season and we're sitting top 3, the time for that experimentation has probably passed us by. But if Majak Dawe can play as a defender in a decent norf outfit, then I have no doubt weids could play a role in our backline and really develop as a footballer in the process.

If Lever had have gone down in the anzac eve game instead, we could have almost plugged Weids in for that stretch where we played dons, saints, gold coast, carlton etc and built up a really good body of work for him in the backline. I think the fact now it's getting closer to the business end of the season and we're sitting top 3, the time for that experimentation has probably passed us by. But if Majak Dawe can play as a defender in a decent norf outfit, then I have no doubt weids could play a role in our backline and really develop as a footballer in the process.

It's probably the easiest role to come in and learn on the job in AFL these days. Look at Doedee.

Weideman needs to play some defence at VFL level first. Maybe he becomes a star within a fortnight, or maybe not, but if he can't do it at VFL level then he will struggle at AFL level. Plenty in line ahead of him.

Weideman needs to play some defence at VFL level first. Maybe he becomes a star within a fortnight, or maybe not, but if he can't do it at VFL level then he will struggle at AFL level. Plenty in line ahead of him.

Then they should put him back there. We don't really need another marking forward ATM. However a guy his size in defence would be a nightmare for opposition.

I'd stick Hibberd in Lever's role, and maybe throw in a player like Smith who can intercept and take marks to help. Hibbo thrives as the main man on the D50 arc.

I think Hibbo is too valuable as a one on one defender. Not many players in the comp can do what he does, lock down a dangerous forward and still get plenty of it, id be hesitant to change that.

Then they should put him back there. We don't really need another marking forward ATM. However a guy his size in defence would be a nightmare for opposition.

I dont think id trust Weid's disposal/descision making in defence right now, its taken Oscar a while to get to where he is, not sure i want to go through the growing pains right now with Weid while we are in form.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He looked brilliant in the role however I'd be nervous if he was stood one out in the goalsquare. Provided we can hand off his man so he doesn't have too often I agree wholeheartedly with this.

I agree that we dont want him deep one on one, absolutely. But I'm not sure we were doing that all too often with Lever either.

I think Hibbo is too valuable as a one on one defender. Not many players in the comp can do what he does, lock down a dangerous forward and still get plenty of it, id be hesitant to change that.

I dont think id trust Weid's disposal/descision making in defence right now, its taken Oscar a while to get to where he is, not sure i want to go through the growing pains right now with Weid while we are in form.

Yeah I actually have no idea how weid kicks it because he hasn't had a possession at AFL level yet.

I agree that we dont want him deep one on one, absolutely. But I'm not sure we were doing that all too often with Lever either.

True but I reckon teams would try and take him back to the square more than they would Lever. With us playing the man out the back now the hand over should be smooth.

Fritsch could do what Sicily is doing for the Hawks

I can't believe I'm the first to say this, but i reckon the bloke who could play the Lever role (sweeping across half back/good overhead) was playing on the weekend. Not as tall but a better user: Bayley Fritsch.
Took a few marks across half back on the weekend but other than that we haven’t seen him have to defend and play on a forward. Lever was deployed as the last man at times, not sure Fritsch is the man to do that. His best attributes are attacking. An outside the box idea but I’d personally prefer to give Petty a shot before Fritsch.

Last edited:
I don’t see Fritsch playing Lever’s role. He’s great overhead and a beautiful kick but he’d get owned in one on one marking contests. Opposition teams would just isolate him deep in the forward line and keep kicking it to his man. He just isn’t strong enough to be able to play one out on his man.

I reckon it will be either Frost or Smith, whoever is in the best form. I think crazy Frosty’s runs are a bit unscripted and might not be Goody’s cup of tea so if I was a betting man I’d say it will be Smith. It would be great to see him again too, he’s got a lot of promise.

Bloody annoying. Obviously sad for Jake, but in a year when we are finally looking a threat we need our KPP fit and in form. Was just coming into great form too. :devil:

As for Crows fans on their board (I know every club has them) reacted with glee at Lever's injury. The mass exodus of talent from your club is bigger than Lever - your media, your fans, your boys club administration is suffocating. You even made losing the Grand Final to Richmond a mechanical snoozefest.

from what ive seen, the guy in our squad who is the most 'like for like' swap would be Petty. natural defender who reads the ball well and is an intercept marker. the question remains wether he is physically ready though. if not then i'd like to see J.Smith given a crack at it, he's showed he's pretty athletic and goes for his marks.

from what ive seen, the guy in our squad who is the most 'like for like' swap would be Petty. natural defender who reads the ball well and is an intercept marker. the question remains wether he is physically ready though. if not then i'd like to see J.Smith given a crack at it, he's showed he's pretty athletic and goes for his marks.
Petty was named as an emergency for ANZAC Eve, so wouldn't be surprised if he gets a crack this season. They should just pick whoever is in form, though, for this week.

It's probably the easiest role to come in and learn on the job in AFL these days. Look at Doedee.
I agree that it's the easiest position on the ground to cover but Doedee was a high draft pick (pick 17) who had 2 years in the reserves playing that exact role. He's not exactly some raw recruit who came out of nowhere.

A better example would of been Brent Reilly, an utter failure as a midfielder, sitting on the delist pile who nearly went All Australian playing as a third tall/loose man in 2012.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back