Player Watch #8: Jake Lever – Signed until 2028

Remove this Banner Ad

Harrison Petty is who we got with that pick 35. Already impressed throughout the VFL season and got a debut, long way to but basically Lever for pick 10, Petty for this years 15ish.
Some serious mental gymnastics here, lets just see how the cards fall

Some serious mental gymnastics here, lets just see how the cards fall
Was just saying we have 2 players for our 2 picks. Petty is a prospect, pick 15 is a prospect. I don’t think it was a bad trade at all regardless how Petty turns out, we gave ourselves a chance to develop a prospect at pick 35 instead of a chance to develop a prospect at pick 15.

He was walking laps at training on Saturday. You’d think 12 months minimum so maybe half way through next year?
A huge pity. When he was up and flying, so were you lot.

If he'd not gotten injured, you'd be my pick for the premiership this year, such is the dimension he adds to your side.

If he'd not gotten injured, you'd be my pick for the premiership this year, such is the dimension he adds to your side.
Look he hit a purple patch and I won’t lie, it really threw us out. It also allowed Frost to come in and play the way he has been. Personally I think we need a backline comprising all 3 defenders; Oscar McDonald, Frost & Lever. You need good marking defenders and Frost and Lever are obviously super mobile.

Look he hit a purple patch and I won’t lie, it really threw us out. It also allowed Frost to come in and play the way he has been. Personally I think we need a backline comprising all 3 defenders; Oscar McDonald, Frost & Lever. You need good marking defenders and Frost and Lever are obviously super mobile.
I see Lever as more of an offensive pivot than a mainline defender, because he's far, far better at setting up attack after attack than defending a man or just stopping an offensive thrust.

He's also made to win a Norm Smith in the future.

Sorry for intruding, but I was wondering a) how long ago Lever was injured, and b) when he's expected back.

Cheers.
He did it in Round 11 at the start of June. In terms of the knee itself, the recovery time is 6-9 months for it to return to as close to what it was pre-injury as it will get, so he’s a chance for Round 1 next year. The issue will be his fitness levels, hopefully him walking laps now will mean he can start running at the start of the year and return early next season.

Of course, the other issue is, generally speaking they seem like a 2 year injury, one year to get back to playing, and another year to get the confidence back in it and return to peak form ... everyone is different on that front tho, NicNat didn’t have much trouble this year ... until he did it again of course.

Lever is so crucial to our setup from the defense.
We would certainly be in a better position to have a tilt at this years flag if he wasnt on the shelf

He did it in Round 11 at the start of June. In terms of the knee itself, the recovery time is 6-9 months for it to return to as close to what it was pre-injury as it will get, so he’s a chance for Round 1 next year. The issue will be his fitness levels, hopefully him walking laps now will mean he can start running at the start of the year and return early next season.

Of course, the other issue is, generally speaking they seem like a 2 year injury, one year to get back to playing, and another year to get the confidence back in it and return to peak form ... everyone is different on that front tho, NicNat didn’t have much trouble this year ... until he did it again of course.

Correct me if I'm wrong but believe nicnat did his good knee.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know topkent really want to see Salem move up the ground but until we either trade in or draft another legitimate general defender it’s likely we need him down back.

Honestly not sure if we will ever see Salem play predominantly midfield. It makes so much sense but I don’t have confidence that Fritsch, McKenna Johnstone and Wagner can become AFL level defenders.

Pig Lewis, Jetta.
Salem up to the wing to play tysons role. Tyson out
Don't see any point throwing Salem's magnet around again now that Bern is done and Lewis won't go around past next season. There's going to be a Salem sized hole in defence in about 9 months if we do that.

I don’t know about that, I think he has been ok. Maybe I am missing something.
He's been struggling to get properly involved for the last month, but I imagine that mostly owes to the fact that he's only had half an AFL pre-season.

Don't see any point throwing Salem's magnet around again now that Bern is done and Lewis won't go around past next season. There's going to be a Salem sized hole in defence in about 9 months if we do that.
There is a bloke called Jake Lever who will come back from an ACL next year who can replace him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back