Player Watch #8: Jake Lever – Signed until 2028

Two first rounders to us plus a few late pick swaps - seems fair.
Effectively what it is:

Adelaide receive 2018 1st outright
Melbourne downgrade 10 to 35
Melbourne upgrade 2018 4th to 3rd

Put in that context it's pretty good.

Bob Neil

Club Legend
Sep 20, 2011
At a table with old friends
AFL Club
Adelaide
Effectively what it is:

Adelaide receive 2018 1st outright
Melbourne downgrade 10 to 35
Melbourne upgrade 2018 4th to 3rd

Put in that context it's pretty good.
You could put it that way if you want to avoid the phrase "two first rounders" ;)

As I said - sounds fair. You've just picked up the player who is among the best two or three in his draft year and who should play 200+ games for you - I can't imagine at the end of that you'll be quibbling about the price.

Mortgaged our future for him basically, better be worth it. That's the kid of price you pay for the comps best player.
Compares favourably with Rance statistically.

May 29, 2011
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt
He's a gun player guys. Providing he stays fits you won't be disappointed. Lever is the best intercept mark in the league and superb in the air. He's also a good user of the ball by foot and while not particularly fast, very agile through traffic and hits his targets.

Squiba

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 17, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Assuming this is the official trade, I can only see it as bang on fair.

The key resides in if he gains much strength as he ages. If he does, he is very comfortably Rance 2.0, if he doesn't, he is a very impactful third tall.

I think you'd have to back him to gain the strength, he's still very young (the campaigner).

Rance2Mewtwo

Cancelled
Jul 31, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
I watched Rance mature and Lever is a totally different type of player. He'll be excellent in his own right but please don't hype him up to be the next GOAT defender or your supporters might be disappointed. Very different body types - just let him be the next Lever.

Last edited:
I watched Rance mature and Lever is a totally different type of player. He'll be excellent in his own right but please don't hype him up to be the next GOAT defender or your supporters will definitely be disappointed. Very different body types too.
That's okay though. With Oscar right next to him we don't need him to be Rance, we need him to be Lever.

Apr 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Bloke is an absolute gun, have loved him since the first game I saw him play. He's one of those players you can just tell straight away with. Will be the next Alex Rance, he's almost there already and only 3 years in.

BrissyCrow

Premium Platinum
Mar 20, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg & Most Other Tiger Teams
Iam still disappointed that we lost Lever as a player. He was to be a key element in our team as we moved forward. Having said that after all the crap that has been floated around my opinion of Lever as a individual has changed dramatically.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
With Lever, think more similar to Easton Wood, except Easton Wood's peak is more Lever's base level. Rance has a bit more of a presence than Lever/Wood.

Good comparison. Wood was a key to the dogs winning the flag as well with his intercept marking.

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
Happy to have Jake at the club, not too happy with what we gave up for him.
We have to make the calls on parting ways with draft picks when we have a list on the verge of playing finals and potentially a Grand Final. Sooner or later you've got to part with draft selections.

Lever is a gun, and we need a gun defender. Think of a backline that reads - Lever, Jetta, Hibberd, (2X AA squad members and an AA), Frost, Salem, Hunt. With Oscar McDonald as depth. Right there is one of the best defences in the competition. We also have a midfield of hard heads and a forward line that will be much improved with Tom McDonald, oh and add in the 2016 AA ruckman who should be better next year injury free.

If anyone isn't excited by that list then there is something wrong.

Go Dees.

We have to make the calls on parting ways with draft picks when we have a list on the verge of playing finals and potentially a Grand Final. Sooner or later you've got to part with draft selections.

Lever is a gun, and we need a gun defender. Think of a backline that reads - Lever, Jetta, Hibberd, (2X AA squad members and an AA), Frost, Salem, Hunt. With Oscar McDonald as depth. Right there is one of the best defences in the competition. We also have a midfield of hard heads and a forward line that will be much improved with Tom McDonald, oh and add in the 2016 AA ruckman who should be better next year injury free.

If anyone isn't excited by that list then there is something wrong.

Go Dees.
Salem? Should be on a wing.

Back