Player Watch #8: Jake Lever – Signed until 2028

Remove this Banner Ad

I understand what you're saying, I just think Lever does far too many great things for this side. So happy to excuse the slip ups like others probably.

I don't think you've gotten over the intial contract size and what we gave up, I think that's your deep seeded issue with him still. You were expecting perfection and he hasn't delivered.
You are probably spot on tbh

Had we given up a second round pick and were paying him $400k year I was probably be spoofing over him

he doesn't?

Never said he doesn't, but you can't bring yourself to give any credit at all even when he plays an excellent game like he did on the weekend. I've been a massive Jones and ANB critic but I'm happy to say they've both been decent this year, especially ANB. Levers contract is irrelevant anyway as we didn't lose anyone due to what we paid him so not sure why it is such a problem.

He was playing very well, then has stepped up to elite since May went down. Leading the backline, don't think he made a bad decision all day today.

He's finally becoming a Dee too. You could hear it at the game today, only Gawn and Kozzy beat him for crowd appreciation.

Sat on level 4 and really got to appreciate his ability of knowing when to go and get a intercept mark and when to stay back. Some serious sprints to get there, worked very hard.

Also some insanely brave moments where he had nothing but eyes on the footy. Heart in mouth stuff cos if he gets hurt we would be ****ed.

Does anybody else love Jake Lever?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That’s a strange way of looking at it. The downgrading of a first rd pick in a strong draft to pick 35 in a shallow draft is not a big deal? Especially after giving up pick 10 as well?

Lever may end up being worth it but if he doesn’t, you’ve paid a sh*t load, there’s no denying it.
You guys ended up trading pick 10 to Carlton for Gibbs. Carlton selected Lochie O’Brien with pick 10 who can’t get a game at Carlton. Pick 35 (ended up pick 37) we selected Harrison Petty who is now playing key defence in our backline at the moment.

2 first round picks got us Lever and Petty.

The downgrade from 10 to 35 doesn’t look too bad at the moment.

Blues picked up Liam Stocker and Lochie O'brien with the picks we sent to the Crows from memory, as well as a lot of pick shuffling going around.

That draft (2017) we picked up Spargo, Fritsch and Petty, who are all playing roles in a 10-1 team. Taylor is a genius.

Even JJ in the 2018 draft (pick 33) as a slow burn (youngest player in draft(?), few injuries) looks a better player than Liam Stocker. He's also given a lot of responsibility to play in the guts due to his work rate, where as Stocker has to float around half back because he still doesn't have a tank (or the requisite determination to build one?).

JT nailing mid range picks really helps cover our strategy to trade first rounders.

I think we could've paid less at the time - like a first and a second, instead of two firsts - but it really doesn't matter anymore. Lever will be All-Australian this year, and possibly captain in years to come. You can't guarantee that sort of thing at the draft.

Other comparable trades - Collingwood two firsts for Treloar. They also traded two first for Beams. Essendon two firsts for Shiel. We should be happier than both of those clubs right now.

I think we could've paid less at the time - like a first and a second, instead of two firsts - but it really doesn't matter anymore. Lever will be All-Australian this year, and possibly captain in years to come. You can't guarantee that sort of thing at the draft.

Other comparable trades - Collingwood two firsts for Treloar. They also traded two first for Beams. Essendon two firsts for Shiel. We should be happier than both of those clubs right now.
Collingwood and Essendon both traded two top seven picks in those deals. We traded pick 10 and pick 18. Pick 18 is barely a first rounder. If we’d traded a second rounder instead we wouldn’t have gotten the pick we used on Petty back. The aim of trading isn’t to screw every other team over. We have the Crows decent value for one of the best players in the game.

Looking at those 2017 and 2018 drafts there are very few combos of two players we could have taken who I think would be better value than Lever and Petty. Jake will play for another ten years also.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back