Player Watch #8: Jake Lever – Signed until 2028

Remove this Banner Ad

Not that this is how drafting works, BUT I'd take Harrison Petty over Lochy O'brien or Liam Stocker at this stage. They both reek of being big fat busts.

When SOS reaches for you in the draft, you know it's not good. Paddy Dow and Lochy O'brien as the Blues' first two picks in that draft. Ouch

Not that this is how drafting works, BUT I'd take Harrison Petty over Lochy O'brien or Liam Stocker at this stage. They both reek of being big fat busts.

When SOS reaches for you in the draft, you know it's not good. Paddy Dow and Lochy O'brien as the Blues' first two picks in that draft. Ouch
And it’s not as though any of the players taken after O’Brien or Stocker have turned out to be great early days either so we’ve really done okay. Very eager for Petty to come back fully fit R1, need to see if we can make something of him or not.

He's taken a few grabs up forward and down back as a young tall.

not a lot, but still precisely more than Obrien or Stocker. More an indictment of Carlton than a pump up of Petty.

Did we overpay? Yes (so far, purely on pick value, rather than who those picks became)
Am I glad we have him? Yes
Pretty much this. However, many on far less $$ that cost their clubs far less in trade value are doing more. Our coaches can't even get him into our top 10. This is disappointing.

Pretty much this. However, many on far less $$ that cost their clubs far less in trade value are doing more. Our coaches can't even get him into our top 10. This is disappointing.
You have to pay players more to move clubs, particular since he was in GF side at the time and we were (are) far from a ‘destination club’. He has more improvement in him, coming off a 2nd knee.

I rate him highly, start of his season was poor but he really showed what he is capable of later in the year - with some strong football, marking and composure.

In all honesty, I think he's our next captain.

You have to pay players more to move clubs, particular since he was in GF side at the time and we were (are) far from a ‘destination club’. He has more improvement in him, coming off a 2nd knee.

Ordinarily that is true, but Lever was never staying in Adelaide.

MFC got fleeced.

To put it in perspective, Lever and Dangerfield both left Adelaide as RFA's on similar coin.

Geelong traded a 1st and 2nd rounder.
MFC handed over two 1st round picks.

Absolute bonkers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

‘Two first round picks’ one of them was pick 18 lmao, anyone would think we gave up pick 3 for him the way everyone goes on about it. The dude was on an AA track and then did his ACL and lost two years, and is now a crucial organising cog in one of the best back 6s in the comp. Of all the mistakes we’ve made recently this isn’t one of them. Take Lever out and our defence would have been substantially leakier this year, I guarantee it. He’s a victim of his own early success.

Ordinarily that is true, but Lever was never staying in Adelaide.

MFC got fleeced.

To put it in perspective, Lever and Dangerfield both left Adelaide as RFA's on similar coin.

Geelong traded a 1st and 2nd rounder.
MFC handed over two 1st round picks.

Absolute bonkers.

Lever wasn't a RFA.

But also yeah he's good, his facial hair adds a little sophistication to an otherwise pretty rough backline too.
That's important. I love May and everything he brings but he doesn't have the sex appeal that Jake's stache does.

I was very disappointed to lose him from the Crows albeit I think we did the right thing not matching Melbourne’s salary offer and we did a good deal on the way out. On top of that he hasn’t been the instant hit you guys might have expected for a 21yr old fringe AA player due to injury, form, etc.

All that said I still think you’ll get a good return on your investment because he is a gun and he’s still so young. Assuming his next contract is not OTT (no sign on bonus) then I can see him being very good to great for another 6-8 years which will be a win for you even if not the quick win you might have hoped.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back