Player Watch #8 James Rowbottom

Remove this Banner Ad

c0288d15babe17a9390dad794e278f41

James Rowbottom

The Sydney Swans recruited James Rowbottom with their second selection at the 2018 AFL Draft and the midfield bull impacted from the get-go. The Oakleigh Chargers product made his AFL debut against Richmond at Marvel Stadium in Round 5, 2019 and finished the season with 12 senior games beside his name. Rowbottom also led the NEAFL MVP voting when it was hidden from the public after Round 12. The young Swan is a ball magnet, explosive at the stoppages, an outstanding tackler and a clean user of the footy.

James Rowbottom
DOB: 19 September 2000
DEBUT: 2019
DRAFT: #25, 2018 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Camberwell (Vic)/St Kevin's College (Vic)/Oakleigh U18

I was at a swans game last year and a couple of men near me were talking about how we haven't had a great tackler since Brett Kirk. I chimed in that Rowbottom goes pretty hard. They looked at me with this expression that it hadn't occurred to them that Rowbottom was a tackling beast in his own right, nodded and went back to their conversation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Having a good year, so far. I'd say still top 3 in our B&F, quite possibly ahead of Gulden and Warner.

Agreed.
Strange that yesterday, with Adams back albeit playing forward, Rowy had 5 clearances in Q1 (having averaged 3.6 per game over his career) and made only 1 tackle to half time. How that works I have no f****** idea.
Our midfield balance is all over the shop at the moment IMO

Agreed.
Strange that yesterday, with Adams back albeit playing forward, Rowy had 5 clearances in Q1 (having averaged 3.6 per game over his career) and made only 1 tackle to half time. How that works I have no f****** idea.
Our midfield balance is all over the shop at the moment IMO
When Adams was named to return I saw lots of people saying he'd be a massive asset to the likes of Gulden, Warner, McInerney etc., in terms of feeding it out to them, and whilst I absolutely agree, I think he'll benefit Heeney & Rowbottom the most. Those two have been putting in a mountain of work at the coalface because they're basically the only 'hard nuts' we've had available in there. If another hard nut in Adams coming in can allow Heeney to rest forward a bit more if needed, or Rowbottom to not need crazy tackle numbers, then that can only be a good thing. And I think this is needed, as Heeney is getting less first possessions in the contest the last few weeks (likely due to more attention), and Rowbottom's tackling attempts yesterday suggest a sore and overworked player in this area.

I don't know if Adams' inclusion will make the midfield as a whole start clicking more, but I do think he'll really make those two better, which is potentially a scary prospect considering they're probably the two leading our B&F at this stage.

When Adams was named to return I saw lots of people saying he'd be a massive asset to the likes of Gulden, Warner, McInerney etc., in terms of feeding it out to them, and whilst I absolutely agree, I think he'll benefit Heeney & Rowbottom the most. Those two have been putting in a mountain of work at the coalface because they're basically the only 'hard nuts' we've had available in there. If another hard nut in Adams coming in can allow Heeney to rest forward a bit more if needed, or Rowbottom to not need crazy tackle numbers, then that can only be a good thing. And I think this is needed, as Heeney is getting less first possessions in the contest the last few weeks (likely due to more attention), and Rowbottom's tackling attempts yesterday suggest a sore and overworked player in this area.

I don't know if Adams' inclusion will make the midfield as a whole start clicking more, but I do think he'll really make those two better, which is potentially a scary prospect considering they're probably the two leading our B&F at this stage.

Yep. First couple of weeks I felt much of the success of the midfield was a result of the enthusiasm of a fresh group in the coalface with Brodie, Heeney, Rowy and Chad.
Since then, as you say, Heeney is getting a lot more attention and Chad is torn between his instinctive game on the outside while also trying to meet his responsibilities inside and as a result, not doing either job very well. Really think Errol would have been a better choice to be that third man along with Heeney and Rowbottom, but understand the reluctance given his age and size (down the track, for sure).

We really had no right to win those first two games with that crew in the middle. But I do remember noting what a fantastic contribution was made by the outer ring of the midfield... JMac, Braeden and Errol in particular, but also, JJ and Lloydy who did a remarkable job of defending threats on the outside, providing outlets when needed, transitioning the ball from the back half forward and allowing us to dictate the terms for long, long periods.

Adams and Parker coming in gives us the hard-nosed grunt currently lacking and being exposed more each week. All the ingredients are there and we are positioned nicely after 5 games, especially given the injuries we have had.

That includes the indefatigable Rowbottom, who leads the AFL's tackling numbers this year after breaking Brett Kirk's single season tackling record at the Swans last season.

In the lead-up to his milestone game, Rowbottom opened up on the key words he plays over in his mind to ensure he maintains his much-heralded attack on the ball and opposition.

"My three words are power, bodywork and communication and that kind of flows into the rest of my game if I can tick those off," Rowbottom said of his tackling numbers, which he admits took its toll on his body last season.

fsxbl73x.jpg

James Rowbottom celebrates a goal during round one, 2024. Picture: AFL Photos
"Definitely post-game, it's something you pride yourself on.

"Last year was challenging. I was getting held together by tape by the end of the year but it's nice to feel a bit fresher this year so hopefully I can keep it that way."

There’ll be an extra element of sentiment on Sunday for the Oakleigh Chargers product as he brings up three figures at the MCG, close to where he grew up in Melbourne.

"It's pretty special. I've had a couple of mates and family text and ask for tickets that makes it feel a bit more real. It'll be great to play in front of family and friends."

Am I wrong or does Rowbottom not do many interviews? He’s got a really mature head on his shoulders and a great mindset.

I adore Logan but the difference between those two interviews in particular was stark.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You reckon Logan's bad, Chad isn't much better.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back