Player Watch #8 James Rowbottom - pick 25, welcome to Sydney

Bloodied52

Premium Platinum
May 24, 2017
Old South Grandstand
AFL Club
Sydney
I posted a few weeks ago he reminded me of an old favourite player in Paul Hawke who was a better than average player. He looks like he has time because he reads the game so well. He may end up a way better than average player which would be outstanding for the Club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mick Oxlong

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 27, 2007
AFL Club
Sydney
I posted a few weeks ago he reminded me of an old favourite player in Paul Hawke who was a better than average player. He looks like he has time because he reads the game so well. He may end up a way better than average player which would be outstanding for the Club.
I missed that post. Paul Hawke was indeed quite the underrated player battling away under very tough times!

6yearsold

Club Legend
Nov 23, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Started and finished well but was very quiet in middle quarters. Must consistently play for four quarters before playing seniors.

caesar88

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 26, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Started and finished well but was very quiet in middle quarters. Must consistently play for four quarters before playing seniors.
Rowbottom had a great four quarter performance last week and was only quiet yesterday mainly in the stretches when he was playing inside 50 and Gold Coast were controlling the play. This is now the fifth consecutive NEAFL game (including the three practice matches) where he has been in the bests. That’s more than Blakey and McInerney had when they got their debuts, and possibly why they have both looked very raw at senior level.

mtooler

Premiership Player
Feb 5, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Rowbottom might be one of the few highlights of 2019 if Longmire plays him. Buggered if I know why he hasnt got a gig yet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

caesar88

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 26, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Hope he just plays his natural game and isn’t too spooked by what could be a truly traumatic game! This kid has a game that lends itself to success. Always has eyes on the ball never the man, if he maintains that at the highest level he will be a good player at the very least.

MF

Good Poster, s**t Bloke
Sep 10, 2006
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
Just hope he doesn't make a complete dick of himself.

I like to set my expectations low

scaryness

Oct 19, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys/Trail Blazers
Have a feeling rowbottom will fit right in and play every game barring injury and fatigue for the rest of the year
Should play every game regardless of his debut performance.

Club may as well back him in and get him learning with Kennedy and the like if they want him to be a future midfield selection. They did it with Florent, why not Rowbottom?

caesar88

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 26, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
This kid must have felt like he was in the Twilight Zone last night. I noticed in the reserves they seemed to be getting him to find space and work on his outside game. He does that, he earns his senior debut, and in his first game worked really hard to find space and present as an option all game. Naive on his behalf to believe that this team will ever take the player running forward in space. It’s OK though, he will take something from this and learn the Swans way, which is handballing to a teammate under pressure or kicking 25 metres backwards.

RUNVS

Hall of Famer
Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
I liked how attacking and clean with the ball he was. His disposal was really nice. I want to see him in the centre clearances as I think he could help.

Overall I think we have a winner with him. Feels like a safe bet for carving out a solid AFL career.

6yearsold

Club Legend
Nov 23, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
He was OK. Didn't get much of it but when he did he seemed composed.

Still a wait and see but showed good signs.

The Gong

Premiership Player
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Northern Districts Tigers
Looked really composed and picked good options.

300+ gamer and multiple All Australian. No pressure.

Top Bottom