Player Watch #8 James Rowbottom

Remove this Banner Ad

c0288d15babe17a9390dad794e278f41

James Rowbottom

The Sydney Swans recruited James Rowbottom with their second selection at the 2018 AFL Draft and the midfield bull impacted from the get-go. The Oakleigh Chargers product made his AFL debut against Richmond at Marvel Stadium in Round 5, 2019 and finished the season with 12 senior games beside his name. Rowbottom also led the NEAFL MVP voting when it was hidden from the public after Round 12. The young Swan is a ball magnet, explosive at the stoppages, an outstanding tackler and a clean user of the footy.

James Rowbottom
DOB: 19 September 2000
DEBUT: 2019
DRAFT: #25, 2018 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Camberwell (Vic)/St Kevin's College (Vic)/Oakleigh U18

Think rowbottom will play significant footy this year in the 1's. Has the tenacity and aggression to play senior footy

Big call but I think Blakey aside, this kid will be the most valuable of this year's draftees. He's a very similar size to Hewett, and similarly to Georgie loves playing on the inside. Having two decent sized mids in the same midfield that can do similar roles (either as taggers or as ball-winning contested beasts) would be ideal. I could see them freeing one up to attack and win the ball while the other shuts a key opposition player down, and then alternating. It would basically shore up our inside stocks, meaning classy fleet-footed types like Florent don't have to take on more than they should be. That's why I was keen on Rowbottom before the draft and hoping his current niggles won't keep him from having a real crack leading up to the start of the season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

hehehe ... the lad has a name that lends itself to many nicknames. I expect, over what is sure to be a long career, he will attract many names. Doubtless duffers who support other Clubs will come up with their own dullard names.

I posted a few weeks ago he reminded me of an old favourite player in Paul Hawke who was a better than average player. He looks like he has time because he reads the game so well. He may end up a way better than average player which would be outstanding for the Club.

I posted a few weeks ago he reminded me of an old favourite player in Paul Hawke who was a better than average player. He looks like he has time because he reads the game so well. He may end up a way better than average player which would be outstanding for the Club.
I missed that post. Paul Hawke was indeed quite the underrated player battling away under very tough times!

Started and finished well but was very quiet in middle quarters. Must consistently play for four quarters before playing seniors.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back