Player Watch #8 James Rowbottom

Remove this Banner Ad

c0288d15babe17a9390dad794e278f41

James Rowbottom

The Sydney Swans recruited James Rowbottom with their second selection at the 2018 AFL Draft and the midfield bull impacted from the get-go. The Oakleigh Chargers product made his AFL debut against Richmond at Marvel Stadium in Round 5, 2019 and finished the season with 12 senior games beside his name. Rowbottom also led the NEAFL MVP voting when it was hidden from the public after Round 12. The young Swan is a ball magnet, explosive at the stoppages, an outstanding tackler and a clean user of the footy.

James Rowbottom
DOB: 19 September 2000
DEBUT: 2019
DRAFT: #25, 2018 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Camberwell (Vic)/St Kevin's College (Vic)/Oakleigh U18

Hopefully gets lots of time in the middle.
Have fun James
The young midfielder has been the Swans’ ‘so near and yet so far’ man of the current campaign.
He has found himself as the ‘emergency’ player on eight occasions, just missing out on the final matchday 22.
And swapping the leafy surroundings and sparse crowds of a second string fixture to the passion of a buzzing SCG, holds no fears for the confident youngster.
“I’m pretty calm under those sort of environments and don’t really think too much when I run out and there’s 30,000 or so there. I just look at it as an exciting opportunity,” he said.
“I just want to help continue our good form that we’ve put together over the last six weeks.”

And a good showing will obviously strengthen Rowbottom’s case for a run in the senior side. If that means kissing goodbye to the reserves’ MVP award, so be it.
“Oh, God, yeah. I was just having a chat with one of the boys here about it and said ‘I don’t really want to win it, I want to be playing senior footy’,” he said.

“If I don’t play another game in NEAFL, that’s just fine with me.”

Hopefully gets lots of time in the middle.
Have fun James
The young midfielder has been the Swans’ ‘so near and yet so far’ man of the current campaign.
He has found himself as the ‘emergency’ player on eight occasions, just missing out on the final matchday 22.
And swapping the leafy surroundings and sparse crowds of a second string fixture to the passion of a buzzing SCG, holds no fears for the confident youngster.
“I’m pretty calm under those sort of environments and don’t really think too much when I run out and there’s 30,000 or so there. I just look at it as an exciting opportunity,” he said.
“I just want to help continue our good form that we’ve put together over the last six weeks.”

And a good showing will obviously strengthen Rowbottom’s case for a run in the senior side. If that means kissing goodbye to the reserves’ MVP award, so be it.
“Oh, God, yeah. I was just having a chat with one of the boys here about it and said ‘I don’t really want to win it, I want to be playing senior footy’,” he said.

“If I don’t play another game in NEAFL, that’s just fine with me.”

I just hope Longmire actually plays him in the midfield.

This kid is another awesome piece in the 2020 premiership puzzle.

Next on the blocks I would love to see Stoddart. Unlike most on BF, I think he is showing a lot in the NEAFL and could well become the running defender we have been (desperately) looking for.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Equal 2nd best on the team. Heat map shows he spent most of the game on the wing but watching the game he was exposed to the coalface more than his other games. Very good for an 18 year old and a great signs for the future.
Amazing what happens when you play them in their drafted (and obviously preferred) positions isn’t it?

Amazing what happens when you play them in their drafted (and obviously preferred) positions isn’t it?

IMO he wasn’t ready for that earlier this year.

His early games imo would have been about exposure to the pace of AFL footy vs NEAFL.

I'm glad that's your opinion and you're entitled to it!

You disagree?

By the measure of ‘playing them where they were drafted’, Dawson should be playing as a permanent medium forward. Many other examples of players that played other roles whilst they developed.

I remember when some here criticised Aliir being given time in the forward line and ruck, and yet I doubt his performance last night would have attracted top 5 votes from so many without that exposure...

He is going to be a high disposal winner in the future as I noticed yesterday as I was paying particular attention to him that he got his first 7 disposals very quickly, within the first 15 minutes of the game, but he then spent the next full quarter only getting around 1 disposal. Then, before I knew it in the 3rd quarter he jumped to 14 disposals pretty quickly in the space of about half a quater, and by the end of the 4th quarter he ended up with 21 disposals.

So he goes for huge chunks of the game being completely unsighted, but when he goes have moments of the game where he is particularly involved he can find the ball very quickly, and is usually quite effective and damaging with the ball.

The huge chunks of the game where he is invisible will slowly disappear when he matures and builds a tank, so I could easily imagine him as the sort of player who will eventually very regularly get over 30 disposals a game.

He is going to be a high disposal winner in the future as I noticed yesterday as I was paying particular attention to him that he got his first 7 disposals very quickly, within the first 15 minutes of the game, but he then spent the next full quarter only getting around 1 disposal. Then, before I knew it in the 3rd quarter he jumped to 14 disposals pretty quickly in the space of about half a quater, and by the end of the 4th quarter he ended up with 21 disposals.

So he goes for huge chunks of the game being completely unsighted, but when he goes have moments of the game where he is particularly involved he can find the ball very quickly, and is usually quite effective and damaging with the ball.

The huge chunks of the game where he is invisible will slowly disappear when he matures and builds a tank, so I could easily imagine him as the sort of player who will eventually very regularly get over 30 disposals a game.

Only played 73% gametime so that might account for some of time he was ‘missing’.

I think the club took the opportunity to play Rowbottom in the midfield in his natural role against one of the bottom sides. But would not have done so against a side like Geelong or GWS.

When he got selected I thought it would just be for one game and then Clarke would be back for a tagging role against Essendon and then against Cripps the following week. But he played unexpectedly well so maybe he will keep his place and have a few consecutive games.

You disagree?

By the measure of ‘playing them where they were drafted’, Dawson should be playing as a permanent medium forward. Many other examples of players that played other roles whilst they developed.

I remember when some here criticised Aliir being given time in the forward line and ruck, and yet I doubt his performance last night would have attracted top 5 votes from so many without that exposure...
Clearly and who are you to dispute that I’m wrong?

Clearly and who are you to dispute that I’m wrong?

Just a poster on a forum that is designed for sharing of ideas and opinions. Would you prefer an echo chamber? ;)

Anyway, I was looking for you to backup your opinion with reasons but instead you chose ask whether I am qualified to question if you’re wrong....

In any case, you might not be wrong, but in this case I am going to side with the AFL coaches who are best placed to make these decisions that took actions that coincide with my opinion...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back