Player Watch #8 James Rowbottom

c0288d15babe17a9390dad794e278f41

James Rowbottom

The Sydney Swans recruited James Rowbottom with their second selection at the 2018 AFL Draft and the midfield bull impacted from the get-go. The Oakleigh Chargers product made his AFL debut against Richmond at Marvel Stadium in Round 5, 2019 and finished the season with 12 senior games beside his name. Rowbottom also led the NEAFL MVP voting when it was hidden from the public after Round 12. The young Swan is a ball magnet, explosive at the stoppages, an outstanding tackler and a clean user of the footy.

James Rowbottom
DOB: 19 September 2000
DEBUT: 2019
DRAFT: #25, 2018 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Camberwell (Vic)/St Kevin's College (Vic)/Oakleigh U18

Excited to see James in 2021

Oct 18, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney
Excited to see James in 2021
I look at the draft where we got Rowbottom at 25 and we we lucky to get him. You look at some of the picks before him and you wonder. Our recruiters changed the destiny of our club with that pick.

............and I still cannot believe Norf took a mid over McDonald and let him fall in our lap. I just cannot fathom it.

Kiama Chris

Norm Smith Medallist
May 10, 2016
Kiama
AFL Club
Sydney
I look at the draft where we got Rowbottom at 25 and we we lucky to get him. You look at some of the picks before him and you wonder. Our recruiters changed the destiny of our club with that pick.

............and I still cannot believe Norf took a mid over McDonald and let him fall in our lap. I just cannot fathom it.
Summed up their year really.

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney

I can as Phillips is a sure thing, and could easily become the best player in the draft. At the very least Phillips will be a 200 gamer.

McDonald could become the best player in the draft too, but he is far less certain than Phillips is.

DeadlyAkkuret

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Mar 10, 2007
Ensconced in velvet
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Lakers, West Ham
I can as Phillips is a sure thing, and could easily become the best player in the draft. At the very least Phillips will be a 200 gamer.

McDonald could become the best player in the draft too, but he is far less certain than Phillips is.

There really is no such thing as a sure thing. Yeah sure if he plays 200 games and is a top 10 player you’ll say I told you so, and I’m sure he’ll be a good player, but I wish people would stop pretending there are any guarantees in the draft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
There really is no such thing as a sure thing. Yeah sure if he plays 200 games and is a top 10 player you’ll say I told you so, and I’m sure he’ll be a good player, but I wish people would stop pretending there are any guarantees in the draft.

Especially a draft that saw kids drafted having played so little footy in their draft year.

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney

True but a high draft pick midfielder is a safer bet than a high draft pick key position player.

Feb 5, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney

Phillips was a safe bet, key position forwards are hit and miss. They probably didnt want to take any risks for whatever reason. Id hope we'd have taken Phillips over DGB.

DeadlyAkkuret

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Mar 10, 2007
Ensconced in velvet
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Lakers, West Ham
I'm predicting Rowbottom will have another good year, albeit I think some people will be disappointed/underwhelmed by it.

People on this board will be disappointed/underwhelmed by young player who’s shown potential but isn’t a superstar yet.

Going out in a limb with that one!

Looking forward to James with more time as inside mid :hearteyes:

The 20-year-old Victorian finished seventh in the Swans' best and fairest, one spot ahead of Kennedy and three ahead of fellow youngster Oli Florent.
"I also felt playing more regularly I got to know the gamestyles of our players a lot better, which would bring me into the game a lot more.
The next stage in Rowbottom's development, says midfield coach Dean Cox, is to mix his ball-hunting prowess with some outside dash.

"One good thing about James is he's really tough and clean inside but he can go from inside to out with his power," Cox said.
"That's one thing we want to continually see, his ability to break out of contests and stoppages and if he's not creative by hand, bridge a gap and explode out and use his legs.
"He's a fantastic young man that puts everything into his game."

Oct 18, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney
Looking forward to James with more time as inside mid :hearteyes:

The 20-year-old Victorian finished seventh in the Swans' best and fairest, one spot ahead of Kennedy and three ahead of fellow youngster Oli Florent.
"I also felt playing more regularly I got to know the gamestyles of our players a lot better, which would bring me into the game a lot more.
The next stage in Rowbottom's development, says midfield coach Dean Cox, is to mix his ball-hunting prowess with some outside dash.

"One good thing about James is he's really tough and clean inside but he can go from inside to out with his power," Cox said.
"That's one thing we want to continually see, his ability to break out of contests and stoppages and if he's not creative by hand, bridge a gap and explode out and use his legs.
"He's a fantastic young man that puts everything into his game."

I really love Rowbottom's kicking style. That kick to set up Gulden's first goal v GWS and his own goal later in the game. On the run he leans a little to the left and he does this calculated, ever so slightly round the body kick that is perfectly weighted. Very distinct. Very balanced.

I really love Rowbottom's kicking style. That kick to set up Gulden's first goal v GWS and his own goal later in the game. On the run he leans a little to the left and he does this calculated, ever so slightly round the body kick that is perfectly weighted. Very distinct. Very balanced.

There was an even better one later on when he was in the defensive 50 and just launched a 60m kick straight down the middle. Can't remember which player he found with it but it was a perfect kick. Not sure there are too many inside mids of any age in the comp with the class to do that, let alone 20 year old inside mids.

Oct 18, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney
There was an even better one later on when he was in the defensive 50 and just launched a 60m kick straight down the middle. Can't remember which player he found with it but it was a perfect kick. Not sure there are too many inside mids of any age in the comp with the class to do that, let alone 20 year old inside mids.
He is learning. And I think he loves learning and getting better. He plays with a freedom. He is creative. He is tough. He has pace. I think he has all the tools except experience.

Aug 25, 2008
Leeds/'Berra/Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney

Haven't seen it elsewhere, Rowbottom extended to 2024. Club clearly not worried about the knee!

Back