Player Watch #8 James Rowbottom

Remove this Banner Ad

c0288d15babe17a9390dad794e278f41

James Rowbottom

The Sydney Swans recruited James Rowbottom with their second selection at the 2018 AFL Draft and the midfield bull impacted from the get-go. The Oakleigh Chargers product made his AFL debut against Richmond at Marvel Stadium in Round 5, 2019 and finished the season with 12 senior games beside his name. Rowbottom also led the NEAFL MVP voting when it was hidden from the public after Round 12. The young Swan is a ball magnet, explosive at the stoppages, an outstanding tackler and a clean user of the footy.

James Rowbottom
DOB: 19 September 2000
DEBUT: 2019
DRAFT: #25, 2018 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Camberwell (Vic)/St Kevin's College (Vic)/Oakleigh U18

Will be our best mid after jpk retires. Was a gun on debut and his first season and his improvement is off the charts yr on yr

Mills is already ahead of jpk as was Rowy in 2020.

I really love Rowbottom's kicking style. That kick to set up Gulden's first goal v GWS and his own goal later in the game. On the run he leans a little to the left and he does this calculated, ever so slightly round the body kick that is perfectly weighted. Very distinct. Very balanced.
I like Harry’s style. No fuss, low ball drop. Not much to go wrong

Gave a shoutout to Stephens, but Rowbottom deserves one as well. Incredible to play 2 games so close together, 50ish percent game time

Rowbottom looks to have dropped off in form. I don't remember him having much impact at all against ST Kilda

Rowbottom looks to have dropped off in form. I don't remember him having much impact at all against ST Kilda

Thought his first half was OK. A lot of tackling and had some OK ball around the stoppages but I don't remember a single thing he did in the 2nd half.

2nd guy I wanted to give some love to,

Had an absolute nightmare of a year, getting in and out of the team because of injury, when he was clearly best 22 when fit. There is no player I'm more excited to see next year as I feel that he will be raring to go at it. Can't wait.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2nd guy I wanted to give some love to,

Had an absolute nightmare of a year, getting in and out of the team because of injury, when he was clearly best 22 when fit. There is no player I'm more excited to see next year as I feel that he will be raring to go at it. Can't wait.

Came in here to say that. There's no other reason I can think of to explain his 2021 form other than he was carrying an injury all year. His best is bloody phenominal and has that x factor about him.

I'm excited to see what he can produce in 2022. He'll provide us with improvement that will help cover the loss of Dawson and Hewett and keep us moving in an upwards trajectory despite their departures.

Last edited:
Came in here to say that. There's no other reason I can think of to exam his 2021 form other than he was carrying an injury all year. His best is bloody phenominal and has that x factor about him.

I'm excited to see what he can produce in 2022. He'll provide us with improvement that will help cover the loss of Dawson and Hewett and keep us moving in an upwards trajectory despite their departures.
He never looked quite right after the injury in round 1 against Brissy. That strange hyper-extension where one of his legs seemed to do its own thing, as if his brain had issued instructions to every part of his body but forgot to inform that one leg.

Oh James, knees are only designed to bend in one direction Screenshot 2021-10-10 at 12.11.06.png

Last edited:
For sure he was injured this year. No doubt he can be as good as an extractor as Caleb Daniel but he will have to work on his throwing skills. James Throwbottom ?

So what I really would love to know. Is he 100% fit ? God I hope so, we will be off to a ripping start if he is. If he’s not, let him recover like Mills. Need rowy firing at the business end of the season

83% disposal efficiency as well. Considering how much of that ball was inside that's an amazing effort
I've to be honest - that stat takes me by surprise. Every time I saw him kick something it was a mongrel.

I've to be honest - that stat takes me by surprise. Every time I saw him kick something it was a mongrel.
After a certain distance as long as it isn't a direct turnover it counts as effective. I think it's like 30m or something

Remove this Banner Ad

Back