Player Watch #8 James Rowbottom

Remove this Banner Ad

c0288d15babe17a9390dad794e278f41

James Rowbottom

The Sydney Swans recruited James Rowbottom with their second selection at the 2018 AFL Draft and the midfield bull impacted from the get-go. The Oakleigh Chargers product made his AFL debut against Richmond at Marvel Stadium in Round 5, 2019 and finished the season with 12 senior games beside his name. Rowbottom also led the NEAFL MVP voting when it was hidden from the public after Round 12. The young Swan is a ball magnet, explosive at the stoppages, an outstanding tackler and a clean user of the footy.

James Rowbottom
DOB: 19 September 2000
DEBUT: 2019
DRAFT: #25, 2018 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Camberwell (Vic)/St Kevin's College (Vic)/Oakleigh U18

this guy is a gem, my pick of the young mids

I know champion data is a bit s**t but his rating tonight was excellent again

guy is a smart user, and courageous

Attachments

• B6DE84AA-A651-4186-A210-27E29A016DCE.png
    B6DE84AA-A651-4186-A210-27E29A016DCE.png
    85.1 KB · Views: 144

Not sure you can get a better endorsement than from an opposition player!

FWIW it's no contest between Smith & Butters atm for me, but the fact Rowbottom has even thrown his name into the conversation with a bunch of first rounders from a stellar draft is huge.

66E85538-A1CB-4FED-8350-5DEFA818D99B.jpeg

Last edited:
I tuned in to AFL.com podcast today because they were discussing who were future AAs among young guns. They didn't mention Rowbo at all - their bad. He's a lock for some not too distant future AA team. He gets better by the week.

Has he signed an extension last this year?? I’d be giving minimum 4. This kid is a star and already one of our most reliable players

He signed one last year until the end of 2022.

I’d hope to see a further extension by this time next year at the latest ideally.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Once again a player surprises by being taller than I thought. Bit of Dusty about him, without the forward craft. Must keep him.

Saying his similar to Dusty is a really poor player comparison, doesn't have Dusty's explosiveness from the contest.

We haven't seen what Rowbottom will finish developing into yet, but I'm hoping he can become an all round mid who can find the ball and impact both the inside and outside of a contest (Hopefully something half as good but in a similar vein to Neale).

Ironically his stats are matching up very similarly to Neale at the same stage of his career.

I think Neale is a good peak upside comparison for Rowbottom

Saying his similar to Dusty is a really poor player comparison, doesn't have Dusty's explosiveness from the contest.

We haven't seen what Rowbottom will finish developing into yet, but I'm hoping he can become an all round mid who can find the ball and impact both the inside and outside of a contest (Hopefully something half as good but in a similar vein to Neale).

Ironically his stats are matching up very similarly to Neale at the same stage of his career.
Or Dusty's thirst for punching people in the throat

we looking at the same player? I think he is quite explosive from packs, nice fend too.

Rowbottom has decent core strength and agility which allows him to get a few kick steps away or weave through congestion, but Martin as pure brute strength combined with acceleration and agility.

Very different styles of player and movement.

Had a good feeling about this kid from day 1. Those sort of kids who just live for the contest like rowbottom does absolutely flourish at Afl level.

It’s hard to say what he will become or suggest he would reach the level of a certain player but imo the closest player he is a mould or is Joel Selwood

Am I the only one not reminded of another player when I watch Rowbottom?
Don't really understand the desire to put a player for our kids to live up to. I understand that we need something to hold onto, but they'll grow into their own players. Give it 8-10 years and they will talk about our draftee playing like Rowbottom.

Don't really understand the desire to put a player for our kids to live up to. I understand that we need something to hold onto, but they'll grow into their own players. Give it 8-10 years and they will talk about our draftee playing like Rowbottom.

I mean I get it, sometimes you look at a player and it's scary the vibes of another player that you get from them. I just don't see it with Rowbottom. He shares traits with great players like Martin, Neale and JPK, but he also has some qualities that make him very different from them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back