Player Watch #8 James Rowbottom

Remove this Banner Ad

c0288d15babe17a9390dad794e278f41

James Rowbottom

The Sydney Swans recruited James Rowbottom with their second selection at the 2018 AFL Draft and the midfield bull impacted from the get-go. The Oakleigh Chargers product made his AFL debut against Richmond at Marvel Stadium in Round 5, 2019 and finished the season with 12 senior games beside his name. Rowbottom also led the NEAFL MVP voting when it was hidden from the public after Round 12. The young Swan is a ball magnet, explosive at the stoppages, an outstanding tackler and a clean user of the footy.

James Rowbottom
DOB: 19 September 2000
DEBUT: 2019
DRAFT: #25, 2018 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Camberwell (Vic)/St Kevin's College (Vic)/Oakleigh U18

Defensive gun & we're only scratching the surface with his offensive game. Hoping he can have a proper off-season to get physically stronger & continue developing his offensive skills. He's shown glimpses of that burst, similar to Warner but hasn't quite strung that part of his game together yet. Once he does (I have full faith he will) then we'll have another elite 2 way mid. Right now he's playing his role perfectly by bringing his pressure & hunt around the footy. I'm very happy for him & he's only 21!!!
Yes, important to remember he's only young. So thrilled for him after the issues he faced last year with his knee, its not like we didn't know it was inhibiting him, but now we can see just how much it was causing him trouble by comparison to this year.

Yes, important to remember he's only young. So thrilled for him after the issues he faced last year with his knee, its not like we didn't know it was inhibiting him, but now we can see just how much it was causing him trouble by comparison to this year.
Young in age but also relatively raw. He was especially when we drafted him. He was a skinny small defender-turned-inside mid as a junior, and his body reflected it. Tank needed significant work (averaged mid-60s in TOG% his first few years), there were question marks over his disposal, he wasn't an accumulator (averaged just 22 disposals his U18s year), was just 76kg at the time he was drafted (so shouldn't have been strong defensively.)

All of the above points to a player who should end up a massive bust, or who at least would need 2-3 years in the reserves developing. But the club obviously saw something in him because we used our first live pick in the strongest draft in a generation on him.

And we clearly got it right, because he's been best 22 since half way through his first season, and has not only held his own but has played some very, very good footy. Overperformed drastically in his career to date comparative to what his size and fitness should've allowed, but he's done it through just willing himself. He's added 6kg to his frame with more to come. He's bumped his TOG average up to 77%%. Gradually getting his body to a point where footy can become easier for him. Confidence will only roll off the back of that.

Young in age but also relatively raw. He was especially when we drafted him. He was a skinny small defender-turned-inside mid as a junior, and his body reflected it. Tank needed significant work (averaged mid-60s in TOG% his first few years), there were question marks over his disposal, he wasn't an accumulator (averaged just 22 disposals his U18s year), was just 76kg at the time he was drafted (so shouldn't have been strong defensively.)

All of the above points to a player who should end up a massive bust, or who at least would need 2-3 years in the reserves developing. But the club obviously saw something in him because we used our first live pick in the strongest draft in a generation on him.

And we clearly got it right, because he's been best 22 since half way through his first season, and has not only held his own but has played some very, very good footy. Overperformed drastically in his career to date comparative to what his size and fitness should've allowed, but he's done it through just willing himself. He's added 6kg to his frame with more to come. He's bumped his TOG average up to 77%%. Gradually getting his body to a point where footy can become easier for him. Confidence will only roll off the back of that.
Just want him or T.Mac to sign a 5+ year deal so I can get a new jumper with one of their numbers on it

I had the pleasure of seeing him in an early ressies game where he quite literally tore through the pack with the ball and out the other side. Again at least twice more that game. My thought at the time was that we have someone here who is prepared to take it on and who has the physicality to do it. Imagine where he'd be without that knee injury!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hope he can go another level in finals. We really need him to which I know is a lot for a 21 year old but f me he is primed for it.
Only Mills has earned more POTY votes in games against top 4 sides in the last two seasons. Which is pretty impressive when you consider both his age and the fact he wasn't even right last year. So seems to bring his best against the best. And likely picks up more after yesterday.

Top effort from Rowy.

Followed up and harrassed. Second efforts and third efforts and one 4th effort!

Going to be a key against the Dees
Agreed.

Watching from the 3rd level last night his defensive work was absolutely manic. 2nd, 3rd, 4th efforts all over the park. I'm not sure we win that game without him.

Obviously niggling injuries and general fitness had an impact on his form early in the season but it's been quite amazing watching the purple patch he's hit the past month or 2.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back