Past Kurt Tippett - retired 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

No. We extended Tippets contract until 2020 to get under the salary cap. We gave him the extension to reduce the $$ per year and hence re-sign the players we required.

Longer contract = Less per year

To play Tedeski's advocate:

Tippett is likely on no more than 500k and probably closer to the 450k range if his original contract values are the same. Reportedly signed $3.5m for 4 years when we got him (875k per year) and then triggered the automatic extension which I can only assume is for a similar amount. Spread that extra $1.75m across 4 years and you are looking at around 438k a year, which is barely above league average.

That's assuming a lot of info, but that's all we got.

He wouldn't have agreed to be paid the same amount for four years work when he had a contract to get that money for two years.

If he was originally on $1.75 million for two years, we probably offered something like $2.2 million for four instead. So Tippett gets more money in the long run but our cap hit is less each year. I'm guessing we had to do it to resign Heeney.

To me the ankle reco is encouraging if he's been carrying it awhile.

Ankle injury = reduced trackwork = reduced fitness

That's what hurt Tippo this year, his tank was just non-existent. He was still capable of impacting a contest early - see the first Giants game for example - but faded too quickly.

Wouldn't at all be surprised to see a resurgence next year.

This.

I will add that an unstable joint affects every aspect of play. You don't have confidence in your body that it will behave as you choose. You compensate. You alter game decisions to compatible with what you can physically achieve. Bad......and shows as bad form

It will be several months 4-5 before he is ready. The downside is that tippett takes longer than most to reach peak playing fitness. We may not see him until later in the year.

I'm optimistic

Tippett's not being paid sub 500k, that's just fanciful. It'll be in the 600s.

Highly unlikely in my book. By all reports had 1 year left @ ~ $800k. Why bother extending for a further two years @ ~ $600k? 1year @ $800k or 3 years @ ~ $600k = $1.8m absolutely no way we would add $1m to his salary to save $200k next year. That would be the worst list management in history.

Highly unlikely in my book. By all reports had 1 year left @ ~ $800k. Why bother extending for a further two years @ ~ $600k? 1year @ $800k or 3 years @ ~ $600k = $1.8m absolutely no way we would add $1m to his salary to save $200k next year. That would be the worst list management in history.
Well we did recruit him on big coin so who knows
All ready failured list managerment

If he's on 400k, it means he added 2 years for just $400k. Not $400k/season, $400k for 2 seasons.

Yes - he had 1 year at close to $900k left. No player in their right mind would take a $900k - $200k pay cut. That's not only absurd and unheard of, no one would do it.

If he's on 400k, it means he added 2 years for just $400k. Not $400k/season, $400k for 2 seasons.

Yes - he had 1 year at close to $900k left. No player in their right mind would take a $900k - $200k pay cut. That's not only absurd and unheard of, no one would do it.

I don't know what his skill set is beyond afl. Assuming there is no fall back employment option an extension @ $200k pa is a great option compared to unemployment post retirement. It is on that context a choice most would do IMO .

I don't know what his skill set is beyond afl. Assuming there is no fall back employment option an extension @ $200k pa is a great option compared to unemployment post retirement. It is on that context a choice most would do IMO .

He already has offers from 5 pie shops.

Post footy life is all gravy, and mushy peas and potato...or spud....whatever

He's most likely been extended on 400k/season instead of 900k, but incentives based as well. That would put it close to 600k/season, tapering off in 2020 to probably less than 400k.

My guess:
2017 - 900k
2018 - 700k
2019 - 600k
2020 - 300k

Honestly I'm not sure what your getting at. If he is on ~ $400k for the next 3 years he has effectively added $400k to his total salary and added 2 years safety net. Would you honestly pass up $400k over a 2 years period? I know I wouldn't. But then I don't earn that much anyway.

Honestly I'm not sure what your getting at. If he is on ~ $400k for the next 3 years he has effectively added $400k to his total salary and added 2 years safety net. Would you honestly pass up $400k over a 2 years period? I know I wouldn't. But then I don't earn that much anyway.

Yes what is effectively happening is an extension beyond what would be his normal retirement. The win to him is another $400k over 2 years. The win to swans is smoothing out cost for salary cap relief over 3.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Could it simply be that he actually just loves the lifestyle in Sydney and didn't want to move again & so accepted a far lower amount &/or same/similar but over a longer term?

Maybe he accepted the same total value over an extended term but with potential performance bonuses etc?

None of us know. All I know is he's a Swan for the foreseeable future so he has 110% of my support behind him.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-10-17/swans-confident-tippett-will-be-fit-for-round-one

my god we must look stupid to everyone else. Alright we get it it's commendable that he played through injuries but that doesn't change the fact that a) he's never been able to perform at the level required with those injuries, and b) he's proven he needs a solid block of weeks fitness to be able to produce near his best. IMO given his reconstruction as well as how little senior footy he's had over the last twelve months, Tippett should not even be in consideration for the senior side until at least round five or six of 2018

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-10-17/swans-confident-tippett-will-be-fit-for-round-one

my god we must look stupid to everyone else. Alright we get it it's commendable that he played through injuries but that doesn't change the fact that a) he's never been able to perform at the level required with those injuries, and b) he's proven he needs a solid block of weeks fitness to be able to produce near his best. IMO given his reconstruction as well as how little senior footy he's had over the last twelve months, Tippett should not even be in consideration for the senior side until at least round five or six of 2018

So you read that & you're worried that we may look stupid to everyone else.

I read that & it makes me satisfied that Tippo had a tough season & it goes a long way to explaining why he struggled to get to his best even though he tried.
F . . K what everyone else thinks.

He will win the best and fairest next season and turn into a superstar

May need to order my Bob Skilton tickets now with the three or four way tie that's going to happen :p

So you read that & you're worried that we may look stupid to everyone else.

I read that & it makes me satisfied that Tippo had a tough season & it goes a long way to explaining why he struggled to get to his best even though he tried.
F . . K what everyone else thinks.

It's actually the one case where I do care what others outside the club think. All of us close to the club seem to only sway one of two ways: criticise the s**t out of him when almost all of it is not his fault, or vehemently defend him just because he's a Swan. Everyone I have spoken to who is not a Swans fan seems to be closer to the actual truth which lies somewhere in the middle of those two arguments, and that is that he just isn't good enough to be in the best 22. I genuinely think it's just a rare case of those in the club being too close to the situation to assess it properly.

I think you may have misinterpreted the article a bit. The way I read it, it seems to suggest that Tippett would have recovered from his ankle reconstruction by the time the 2018 season starts in late March, nothing more. At this stage no one without a serious long term injury would be ruled out. Based on Harley's comments, we expect him to be ready to play some level of football by Round 1, nothing suggests that the club see him locked in the best 22. Like others it'll be dependent on how he goes on the track and in the practice games relative to other ruckmen.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back