Delisted # 8: Martin Gleeson - Not offered a contract, finishes his Essendon career on 97 AFL games

Remove this Banner Ad

Assured, composed and reliable.

He’s always been an absolute lock in my eyes, you wouldn’t describe him as a jet because guys like him aren’t ‘jets’ but he’s bloody good at what he does.

One of our few genuine “assets” - ie a guy who could add value to another club but is surplus to requirements with us.

Has a number of younger, better players ahead of him but he’s genuinely AFL standard as a versatile defender and capable interceptor. Someone will want him, make the trade - think a late second rounder seems reasonable.

One of our few genuine “assets” - ie a guy who could add value to another club but is surplus to requirements with us.

Has a number of younger, better players ahead of him but he’s genuinely AFL standard as a versatile defender and capable interceptor. Someone will want him, make the trade - think a late second rounder seems reasonable.
He's a free agent. And if McKenna goes home (which seems likely), he's best 22. Francis, Hurley, Hooker, Zerk-Thatcher and Ambrose can't really play small so they can really only play 3 of them in the same side, which leave him, Ridley, Redman, Saad and Guelfi as the small/medium defenders and based on current form Ridley and Saad are ahead, he's around the same as Redman and is well ahead of Guelfi

He's a free agent. And if McKenna goes home (which seems likely), he's best 22. Francis, Hurley, Hooker, Zerk-Thatcher and Ambrose can't really play small so they can really only play 3 of them in the same side, which leave him, Ridley, Redman, Saad and Guelfi as the small/medium defenders and based on current form Ridley and Saad are ahead, he's around the same as Redman and is well ahead of Guelfi
All true but his impact on our team is somewhat minimal and, tbh, replaceable. He can help another team a lot more if they utilise his marking but Ridley has gone past him with a bullet at Essendon.

I don’t see us doing anything good as a team anytime soon - time to hit the draft. That said, I wasn’t aware he was a FA.

All true but his impact on our team is somewhat minimal and, tbh, replaceable. He can help another team a lot more if they utilise his marking but Ridley has gone past him with a bullet at Essendon.

I don’t see us doing anything good as a team anytime soon - time to hit the draft. That said, I wasn’t aware he was a FA.
I think he's replacable, definitely. However it's more of a case of if someone offers a better deal than we do, fine, but put this decent offer under his nose anyway.

Ridley has been excellent this year and has definitely gone past every defender not named Saad but there are players I think are more expendable that we can get a better price for.

I think he's replacable, definitely. However it's more of a case of if someone offers a better deal than we do, fine, but put this decent offer under his nose anyway.

Ridley has been excellent this year and has definitely gone past every defender not named Saad but there are players I think are more expendable that we can get a better price for.
Who do you think is more expendable and would get a better price?

Who do you think is more expendable and would get a better price?
Parish immediately springs to mind. Hell, if we accept that Hurley won't win a flag here someone like the Dogs need someone like Hurley at CHB, we can get a first out of him.

You think they both get first rounders? Maybe.
At the right club, yes. I can see Geelong trading one of their three firsts for Parish and I can see the Dogs trading their first given they have a player who will almost 100% be bid on in the top 3 for Hurley, maybe with a few draft points thrown their way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don’t get the Gleeson hate.

A limited player who does a role for the team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Think it's a few things - he commits a lot of turnovers, which admittedly are more noticeable/frustrating (from a fan point of view) in the back half. He loses a lot in the air - he does take a few intercept marks, but if there's a body anywhere near him, he loses the contest.

He does try harder than a lot of blokes out there, which I think is how he keeps his spot. A lot of his weaknesses are literally that - physical weaknesses, which he can't help, but also makes you wonder how we don't have someone without those weaknesses to take his spot.

If he's the worst of our back 6/7, and can take the opposing teams worst small-mid forward, he's okay.

I don't think he can be best 22 in a team winning finals.

Think it's a few things - he commits a lot of turnovers, which admittedly are more noticeable/frustrating (from a fan point of view) in the back half. He loses a lot in the air - he does take a few intercept marks, but if there's a body anywhere near him, he loses the contest.

He does try harder than a lot of blokes out there, which I think is how he keeps his spot. A lot of his weaknesses are literally that - physical weaknesses, which he can't help, but also makes you wonder how we don't have someone without those weaknesses to take his spot.

If he's the worst of our back 6/7, and can take the opposing teams worst small-mid forward, he's okay.

I don't think he can be best 22 in a team winning finals.
I don’t think I can agree with any of this, he nearly always beats his direct opponent when in a one on one context in the air. He seems to do this by not letting them get a clear run and jump at it cleverly using his body. I think he compensates his lack of what appears to be physical strength by out manoeuvring his opponent. Once he is back to his best he is a lock, he’s a very underrated player who has resurrected his career in the last few weeks. One must not forget he was easily our best player in our last finals appearance

I don’t think I can agree with any of this, he nearly always beats his direct opponent when in a one on one context in the air. He seems to do this by not letting them get a clear run and jump at it cleverly using his body. I think he compensates his lack of what appears to be physical strength by out manoeuvring his opponent. Once he is back to his best he is a lock, he’s a very underrated player who has resurrected his career in the last few weeks. One must not forget he was easily our best player in our last finals appearance

Eh, think we just disagree there. He takes those intercept marks when he’s first to a contest - if it’s up in the air, he just gets pushed aside too easily.

I don’t think he’s a lock at all - I don’t think he gets a game for 10-12 other AFL teams.

He was good - but he owed us after a truly pitiful showing in the final he played before that. Anyway, I don’t mind seeing him in the team right now, with our injuries.

Eh, think we just disagree there. He takes those intercept marks when he’s first to a contest - if it’s up in the air, he just gets pushed aside too easily.

I don’t think he’s a lock at all - I don’t think he gets a game for 10-12 other AFL teams.

He was good - but he owed us after a truly pitiful showing in the final he played before that. Anyway, I don’t mind seeing him in the team right now, with our injuries.
He has a defensive one-on-one loss rate of 21.4% (3 out of 14), the second lowest of Essendon players with 10 or more. He has the second fewest one-on-one losses of those that have 10 or more as well.

I think he gets games for Adelaide, Brisbane (iffy), Carlton, Fremantle, Gold Coast, GWS, Hawthorne, Melbourne, North, St. Kilda, Sydney and Western Buldogs at this point in time.

And are you referring to the Sydney final? He was one of our best that day, 25 disposals, 10 intercept possessions, 3 intercept marks, 4 spoils, didn't lose any of his 3 one-on-ones. He was injured for last year's final and didn't play

He has a defensive one-on-one loss rate of 21.4% (3 out of 14), the second lowest of Essendon players with 10 or more. He has the second fewest one-on-one losses of those that have 10 or more as well.

I think he gets games for Adelaide, Brisbane (iffy), Carlton, Fremantle, Gold Coast, GWS, Hawthorne, Melbourne, North, St. Kilda, Sydney and Western Buldogs at this point in time.

And are you referring to the Sydney final? He was one of our best that day, 25 disposals, 10 intercept possessions, 3 intercept marks, 4 spoils, didn't lose any of his 3 one-on-ones. He was injured for last year's final and didn't play

I don't know where those stats came from, but he lost at least 3 one-on-ones across the Gold Coast/St Kilda games. I'm guessing there's different interpretations of both what a one-on-one contest is - and what winning or losing that contest entails.

Any way, I don't really care that much, maybe I'm seeing things that aren't there - I'm happy with him playing given the current state of our list, but think there's every chance he gets pushed out again - as he has been a couple of times this year.

No, the Sydney final he was probably top 5 for us (albeit in what could have been a 100 point loss if Sydney felt like it). The final against North, he was like a sieve.

I don't know where those stats came from, but he lost at least 3 one-on-ones across the Gold Coast/St Kilda games. I'm guessing there's different interpretations of both what a one-on-one contest is - and what winning or losing that contest entails.

Any way, I don't really care that much, maybe I'm seeing things that aren't there - I'm happy with him playing given the current state of our list, but think there's every chance he gets pushed out again - as he has been a couple of times this year.

No, the Sydney final he was probably top 5 for us (albeit in what could have been a 100 point loss if Sydney felt like it). The final against North, he was like a sieve.
AFL statspro.

And the one against North? He was 20 in what, his 10th or 15th game of footy? He more than made up for it in his only other final

Remove this Banner Ad

Back