Delisted # 8: Martin Gleeson - Not offered a contract, finishes his Essendon career on 97 AFL games

Remove this Banner Ad

The final against North?

You’re going to fry him for something that happened 5 years ago when he was a teenager?

The final against North?

You’re going to fry him for something that happened 5 years ago when he was a teenager?

He wasn’t a teenager.

And I was responding to a quote that talked about how good he was in the Sydney final 3 years ago.

If one’s important, so is the other.

I also wasn’t ‘frying’ him - I originally suggested he’s not best-22 when we’re at full-strength. Given he’s been dropped twice this year, with all the injuries we’ve had, it’s not that big of a call.

Gleeson is at absolute worst - very worthy depth. He's a decent AFL player. Its touch and go who is ahead between him and Redman. I prefer Redman overall but its not like he's miles ahead.

Shame that his intercept marking hasn't been as prevalent this year. When he was at his best it was a real strength of his.

Gleeson is at absolute worst - very worthy depth. He's a decent AFL player. Its touch and go who is ahead between him and Redman. I prefer Redman overall but its not like he's miles ahead.

Shame that his intercept marking hasn't been as prevalent this year. When he was at his best it was a real strength of his.
I think they can coexist along with Ridley and Francis personally but if we're strictly just comparing these two:

Redman is quicker and a better kick
Gleeson is a better mark and better defensively

I think we need to use Mason in a more offensive role off half back. Play him on the worst small and tell him to run off him whenever we have the ball.

This might be the most nitpicking comment I've seen on here. He hadn't even been 20 for 2 weeks when he played in that elimination final.

Yet you just ‘nitpicked’ one sentence out of a five-sentence reply. Read the original comment.

If you can praise him for 1/2 good finals, you can aslo criticise him for 1/2 bad finals.

I'd settle for a 2 goal, 11 disposal, 3 mark game from Gunston every time we play hawthorn. Held him pretty well after a shakey start.

Well in fairness the ball was barely in the Hawks forward line in the second half.

I thought he played a pretty terrible game. His disposal was weak, he couldn't take any intercept marks when he had opportunities. He was a bit better in the second half (who wasn't) but yeah wasn't a fan of his game at all.

Its a shame McKenna doesn't want to play in defense because McKenna the motivated defender is so so so much better than Gleeson. Oh well.

This bloke is not AFL quality. As I've said, liked the projection he was on before he injured himself. Now he just seems like a dumb footballer who makes too many mistakes, and doesn't have the courage or intensity to make up for his lack of skill.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Blame Langford.
For improving?

Like guys, Gunston is a genuine star. One of those goals was from a Ridley free kick. Are we seriously angry at Gleeson for keeping a jet to one goal whilst he was on him?

Well in fairness the ball was barely in the Hawks forward line in the second half.

I thought he played a pretty terrible game. His disposal was weak, he couldn't take any intercept marks when he had opportunities. He was a bit better in the second half (who wasn't) but yeah wasn't a fan of his game at all.

Its a shame McKenna doesn't want to play in defense because McKenna the motivated defender is so so so much better than Gleeson. Oh well.

Very different players. McKenna is never ever going to the last line to stand Gunston.

What the hell was wrong with Gleeson’s game?
His first half wasn't great. His second half was pretty good. 5 intercept possessions, only McEvoy, Jiath and Saad had more for the game

For improving?

Like guys, Gunston is a genuine star. One of those goals was from a Ridley free kick. Are we seriously angry at Gleeson for keeping a jet to one goal whilst he was on him?

I specifically watched Gleeson last night, because from all the praise on here, I thought maybe I was being harsh on him.

He is crap. Gunston’s not a great matchup for him, but I just don’t see what he brings. He loses contest after contest and makes awful decisions with ball in hand.

I can’t believe people are again praising him this week - his direct opponent was their best forward/kicked their most goals.

He is an extremely versatile defender. A key component for the club going forward. If he isn’t a bomber in 2021 he will no doubt have a breakout season too 😂

Remove this Banner Ad

Back