Delisted # 8: Martin Gleeson - Not offered a contract, finishes his Essendon career on 97 AFL games

08 - Marty Gleeson.jpg

Contract Status: Not offered another contract in 2022
Last Game Played: Elimination Final, 2021
Injury Status: n/a

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 29, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern Munich
This out is gonna hurt

Our bounce off of half back relies on guys like Marty chopping the ball off in the air
His defensive versatility is important too. The perfect match up for a Liam Ryan for example as he can go with him aerially amd is quick enougb to keep up.

blitzer

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 27, 2006
House
AFL Club
Essendon
This out is gonna hurt

Our bounce off of half back relies on guys like Marty chopping the ball off in the air
His defensive versatility is important too. The perfect match up for a Liam Ryan for example as he can go with him aerially amd is quick enougb to keep up.

I don't reckon Gleeson is quick enough to keep up personally (bit academic now as he's injured). Liam Ryan is bloody quick. Probably Redman is the choice. He's pretty good in the air and he's really quick. Saad to go to Rioli. McKenna gets Cripps.

BigEast

Debutant
Dec 2, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
My biggest issue is that Gleeson covers alot of other people's mistakes.

Francis is going to get demolished with Gleeson not there to consistently cover his ass.
I call BS on this. Gleeson is unaccountable, weak in one on ones and his direct opponent regularly kicks goals on him. If the opposition is smart and they play through his opponent, he'll get exposed. Yes he'll take a nice intercept mark occasionally, disposal is usually good and can make good decisions but we can cover him being out as well as anybody on the field. No great harm done with him not being out there. IMHO.

I call BS on this. Gleeson is unaccountable, weak in one on ones and his direct opponent regularly kicks goals on him. If the opposition is smart and they play through his opponent, he'll get exposed. Yes he'll take a nice intercept mark occasionally, disposal is usually good and can make good decisions but we can cover him being out as well as anybody on the field. No great harm done with him not being out there. IMHO.

Gleeson is in the top half dozen intercepting small backs in the competition and loses less one on one contests than all our defenders other than Ambrose.

Im relieved for you that you don’t think he’s a big loss

Oct 22, 2008
Geelong
AFL Club
Essendon
Gleeson is in the top half dozen intercepting small backs in the competition and loses less one on one contests than all our defenders other than Ambrose.

Im relieved for you that you don’t think he’s a big loss
That's because he isn't in the contest. And they probably don't include when he is tossed aside like yesterday's jam.

... Seems like you're talking about 2015 Gleeson in 2019.

Gleeson is 6th for average intercept possessions in the league for small/medium defenders, has the fourth lowest 1-on-1 loss percentage of defenders at the club behind Hartey, Ambrose and McKenna, who has only had 20 one-on-ones in his 21 games and lost 2, compared to Gleeson's 23 in 9. He's a huge loss and anybody who says otherwise is blatantly incorrect.

BigEast

Debutant
Dec 2, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
This has happened once. Yes it cost us against the Swans but this does not happen any more.

He has won plenty of contests this year as the stats show.
Once? Dickson from WB treated him with contempt. Once Gleeson retires they’ll name a potato after him.

Jul 23, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
I rate Gleeson very highly but id trade him for the right price. A 2nd round pick. Francis, Ridley, BZT need regular games alongsise Saad, Hurley, Ambrose, Redman, McKenna and Hooker. Hooker should move forward permanently in my opinion. Redman or McKenna could venture up the wing. But we still seem stacked back there. Yep, Gleeson for a 2nd round pick id do.

Laundry list of surgeries just detailed in the injury report. This one is unlikely to interrupt pre-season.
Despite making a successful return this season from a severe ankle injury suffered in the 2018 JLT Community Series, defender Marty Gleeson is booked in for an ankle arthroscopy this week, but it is not expected to interrupt his 2020 pre-season.

Back