Delisted # 8: Martin Gleeson - Not offered a contract, finishes his Essendon career on 97 AFL games

08 - Marty Gleeson.jpg

Contract Status: Not offered another contract in 2022
Last Game Played: Elimination Final, 2021
Injury Status: n/a

Last edited by a moderator:

lamaros

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 15, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Essendon
I seem to recall him getting tossed aside by gary rohan

I'd rather see ridley and or francis in that role for the future. Gleeson is too small to be the 3rd tall and doesn't have enough toe or strength in a tackle to be in the other roles for mine.

Give him half a year outta footy and people are carrying on like he placed in the b&f or something.

When Kelvin is liking your posts it's time to rethink your place in the world, imo.

Sep 2, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon

I'd rather see ridley and or francis in that role for the future. Gleeson is too small to be the 3rd tall and doesn't have enough toe or strength in a tackle to be in the other roles for mine.

Give him half a year outta footy and people are carrying on like he placed in the b&f or something.

People might not agree but I thought that should have been a free against Rohan he basicly picked up Gleeson of the ground by the waist and tossed him to the side.

Couldn't be further from the truth. Everyone knew he'd be a big loss coming into the season and our lack of counter attack through intercept marking has reaffirmed that view.

You're kidding yourself with this POV.

Gleeson is Gleeson. Not necessarily the B&F but he is a valuable member of our team, and we most definitely miss him, with no clear replacement ready in the wings at the time of his injury. Without his intercept marking, Hooker is now playing defence. Tell me that didn't upset the structure and performance of the entire team.

Ridley is young, inexperienced, and 1cm taller and 2kg lighter than Gleeson. Francis has been out of training so hasn't really been an option up until this point. If he wants Gleeson's spot he'll have to build his tank, seize an opportunity and play like he's on fire. If all three are fit and firing, and competing for a spot, may the best man win. But I'm not gonna write off Gleeson in the face of two virtually untried kids.

Which, btw, I have to wonder if the 'absence makes the heart grow fonder' stuff apples to Francis moreso than Gleeson. He's played 3 games at AFL level and you've already got him ahead of Gleeson? :drunk:

blitzer

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 27, 2006
House
AFL Club
Essendon
Gleeson is Gleeson. Not necessarily the B&F but he is a valuable member of our team, and we most definitely miss him, with no clear replacement ready in the wings at the time of his injury. Without his intercept marking, Hooker is now playing defence. Tell me that didn't upset the structure and performance of the entire team.

Ridley is young, inexperienced, and 1cm taller and 2kg lighter than Gleeson. Francis has been out of training so hasn't really been an option up until this point. If he wants Gleeson's spot he'll have to build his tank, seize an opportunity and play like he's on fire. If all three are fit and firing, and competing for a spot, may the best man win. But I'm not gonna write off Gleeson in the face of two virtually untried kids.

Which, btw, I have to wonder if the 'absence makes the heart grow fonder' stuff apples to Francis moreso than Gleeson. He's played 3 games at AFL level and you've already got him ahead of Gleeson? :drunk:

I have a great deal of trouble believing that Ridley is only 1cm taller than Gleeson. He seems a lot taller.

Ambrosia

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 11, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon

Personally think we should be able to fit all 3 into our defence .

FB: Saad - Ambrose - Gleeson
HB: Francis - Hurley - Mckenna Bench: Ridley

Hooker goes back to beung a forward.

I have a great deal of trouble believing that Ridley is only 1cm taller than Gleeson. He seems a lot taller.
I agree. But he is 192/84 vs Gleeson's 191/86, according to the published stats. As with all published height/weight stats, there is always room for the numbers to be fudged (certainly Ambrose and Stewart have numbers that vary wildly by up to 5cm each year, and Hurley being 193 also amazes me).

Oct 22, 2008
Geelong
AFL Club
Essendon
I agree. But he is 192/84 vs Gleeson's 191/86, according to the published stats. As with all published height/weight stats, there is always room for the numbers to be fudged (certainly Ambrose and Stewart have numbers that vary wildly by up to 5cm each year, and Hurley being 193 also amazes me).
Yep. Gleeson is 7 years in and Ridley 2 without being fit for any pre seasons. Gleeson is what he is and gets the most out of himself, but the carry on is a bit absurd. Many oppo fans wouldn't even know who he is.

Yep. Gleeson is 7 years in and Ridley 2 without being fit for any pre seasons. Gleeson is what he is and gets the most out of himself, but the carry on is a bit absurd. Many oppo fans wouldn't even know who he is.
Gleeson was best 22 at the start of the year. Ridley has played a handful of games since his debut, and lacks experience. Any comparison between the two, particularly anyone making ambitious claims that the youngster is 100% ahead of the established player, at this point is equally absurd. Saying he might grow bigger and might become better is a whole lot of maybe to be hanging your hat on... he might also have a career ending injury, or get too big and become slow. Until he establishes himself as an actual better player, and is competing for and claiming a spot ahead of a fit Gleeson, it's all just nonsense.

And to be honest, opposition posters call Merrett and Fantasia spuds, so I couldn't care less what they think they know.

bjisgod9

Team Captain
Apr 8, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon

The height and weight of a player has very little bearing on whether they can play football or not. Also I could not give less xxxx's as to what any opposition supporters think about any of our players. Gleeson was a pretty handy player at the end of last year and continuing to improve and I'd 100% agree with most on here that the team has missed his skillset. I don't think anyone on here is carrying on or calling him an out and out star, but he is easily in our best 15 players.

Oct 22, 2008
Geelong
AFL Club
Essendon
Gleeson was best 22 at the start of the year. Ridley has played a handful of games since his debut, and lacks experience. Any comparison between the two, particularly anyone making ambitious claims that the youngster is 100% ahead of the established player, at this point is equally absurd.
I'm sorry... what?
Saying he might grow bigger and might become better is a whole lot of maybe to be hanging your hat on... he might also have a career ending injury, or get too big and become slow. Until he establishes himself as an actual better player, and is competing for and claiming a spot ahead of a fit Gleeson, it's all just nonsense.

And to be honest, opposition posters call Merrett and Fantasia spuds, so I couldn't care less what they think they know.
That's probably because they've heard of merrett and fantasia. For a side that hasn't won a final in how long we sure have a lot of unquestionably fantastic players.

I'm sorry... what?
General gist of this and every other player thread for the last month. Perhaps with a dash of hyperbole on my part, but I won't apologise for that.

That's probably because they've heard of merrett and fantasia. For a side that hasn't won a final in how long we sure have a lot of unquestionably fantastic players.
So... if they call Gleeson a spud that means he's made it as a player? I'm not sure I follow.

CBombers17

Premium Platinum
Jul 7, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
I like Marty and his intercept marking became a real asset but his disposal has his spot under the hammer for mine. I don't think he is reliable enough by foot yet to be a lock in a contending team.

IHurley

All Australian
Jan 12, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Personally think we should be able to fit all 3 into our defence .

FB: Saad - Ambrose - Gleeson
HB: Francis - Hurley - Mckenna Bench: Ridley

Hooker goes back to beung a forward.
Agree with this. I would have thought there's no upper limit on the number of tall, athletic, marking players with good foot skills in a team.

Yodell, your argument has no credibility when you cite one example where he was outmarked by someone who is bigger and he was hopelessly caught out of position by how quickly the whole play unfolded anyway, while giving no mention at all to all of the good football he did play.

Oct 22, 2008
Geelong
AFL Club
Essendon
Yodell, your argument has no credibility when you cite one example where he was outmarked by someone who is bigger and he was hopelessly caught out of position by how quickly the whole play unfolded anyway, while giving no mention at all to all of the good football he did play.
Thing is i just don't think he has the body type to match his skillset. He was beaten by a bigger opponent and that's the clue.

We keep recruiting undersized guys and question why we get pushed around. I guess if we just train much harder and are smarter with the science than our opponents we can overcome it.

Given how unbelievably well he played towards the end of last year I can understand why some supporters don't want him back in.

We're all sadomasochists now

Jul 25, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
Given how unbelievably well he played towards the end of last year I can understand why some supporters don't want him back in.

We're all sadomasochists now
So much this. I'm reading these insane comments thinking this has to be a pisstake. Apart from the last half of H&A, when he was consistently very good, in a miserable final, he was pretty much the only player who could hold his head high.

Last edited:
Back