Delisted # 8: Martin Gleeson - Not offered a contract, finishes his Essendon career on 97 AFL games

08 - Marty Gleeson.jpg

Contract Status: Not offered another contract in 2022
Last Game Played: Elimination Final, 2021
Injury Status: n/a

Last edited by a moderator:

fairbump_playon

Premiership Player
Jun 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Have Ridley, Francis, Redman and Gleeson had a four way arm wrestle or played Uno against each other?
These might be the best methods to identify the one winner.

DapperJong

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts SFA Good Friday Appeal Spooderman Meme Medal Pantskyle BeanCoiNFT Investor
Feb 11, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Juventus
Marty update, he's still alive! First in a long time, Marty's feet will be making contact with terra firma in a training capacity in the coming weeks.

http://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/2018-07-24/skins-injury-update-rd-19

Defender Marty Gleeson is gradually making progress in his recovery from a season-long ankle injury suffered in the JLT Community Series and will once again step up his training in the coming fortnight.

“Marty Gleeson is on the AlterG (treadmill) this week. He’s been slow, but steady, we’re really happy with how his ankle is at the moment.

“He’ll progress off the AlterG over ground over the next couple of weeks.”

In case people are wondering what the hell the AlterG is, here is Jacko running in it after breaking his leg. The pressure inside the jumpy castle is altered to change the force of body weight applied to the legs, meaning that running training can start earlier in the recovery process.

DKiRpwaVAAAVd_E.jpg

Funny post but I like Jerrett too much to like it, spud is harsh. :(
I’ve got a soft spot for him too, it took me a few days to bring myself to post it.

I’ll make it up to him by demanding he get another year

Recovering well, but no ETA on full training. Dependent on full recovery of the ankle.

Crow said important intercepting defender Marty Gleeson is also “building up his volumes”, completing three running sessions a week in his recovery of a significant ankle injury in the side’s JLT Community Series clash with Geelong in March.

“With Marty’s ankle, we’re looking to get that very last bit out of the ankle in terms of its explosiveness, its ability to decelerate and absorb force.

“He’ll need to get that last few percent out of the ankle before we can put him back into full training.”
http://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/2018-11-28/fantasia-suffers-minor-setback

60sbomber

Club Legend
Jul 4, 2011
Frankston
AFL Club
Essendon
Disappointing to hear Crow say they still need to "get that last few per cent out of his ankle" in terms of explosiveness and ability to absorb stress when stopping and turning. You might have expected that his ankle would have fully recovered its strength and function by now, and he would just need to build up his fitness.
It's been a very slow recovery for him. I hope it is still going to be a full recovery, and some time soon, not "gradual" (=painfully slow) as it has been so far.

Back