Delisted # 8: Martin Gleeson - Not offered a contract, finishes his Essendon career on 97 AFL games

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't know a whole heap about him, any players that play in the same style ?

I'd say a really white Dempsey.
Running wing/HBF type, although apparently played a bit of half forward in the intra club as well

Don't know a whole heap about him, any players that play in the same style ?
Watching him in the NAB Cup, he reminded me a fair bit of Michael Ross.

I actually wonder whether they drafted a like-for-like replacement for Ross, who showed a fair bit of toe and polish, but reportedly didn't put in the required effort/committment.

2 words. CAN PLAY!!!

Sat next to Alex Browne at the VFL game and he said of Gleeson, "He is the pick of the young guys, Joey excepted. He is going to be a jet, and will be ready sooner rather than later" Huge wrap for him. Thinks he can play this year.

Too light to play serious minutes this year...

Might be a good pick up come 2-3 years and 2-3 pre-seasons

Kid is silk, I get the feeling that Hird really wanted this kid, has a bit of Fyfe/Pittard about him.
Will learn heaps from Hirdy.

Didn't really do anything outstanding in the nab, but looks a very smooth operator by hand and foot.

Also looks like he's got pretty broad hips and shoulders, which bodes well for him putting a bit of bulk on in future

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I look forward to seeing VFL reports about Gleeson's progress.

I am pumped because I saw something from Kavanagh yesterday.
Because all good VFL players contribute at AFL level yaco.

You in Melbourne old mate? Might need to catch up at the VFL practice match next Saturday if you are?

No sunning it up in HK.

Will inform you when I am in Melbourne.

they must think this kid some chance of playing this year, I wonder why hes getting a look in front of ashby?

they must think this kid some chance of playing this year, I wonder why hes getting a look in front of ashby?
Ashby is more the Stanton type.
Gleeson is just a smooth operator!

Does anybody else see a bit of Robert Murphy in him?
I remember a few years back when Howlett killed the pre season comp, then it was Crameri just hope this year Gleeson becomes that great find for our team.

This thread is an indictment on the board. Before he has barely played a game, in fact before he had played a game he was already coping flack/the recruiters were being questioned.

Honestly, there are too many on here who jump the gun and show their ignorance and lack of knowledge / maturity.

People are calling him slick, but undersized, also the coaches and players rate him, that's all.
What's the problem with that?

This thread is an indictment on the board. Before he has barely played a game, in fact before he had played a game he was already coping flack/the recruiters were being questioned.

Honestly, there are too many on here who jump the gun and show their ignorance and lack of knowledge / maturity.
He was only judged on his size. Don't think anyone called him s**t or said that he can't play football.

Bipolarbear daz77

Although some are positive, there still are those who stick the boots in automatically because he is light framed.

Maybe I am a tad harsh. Probably am. But too many writing him off already this year. I just prefer to wait till the season proper starts and we see where he stands. The fact he is in the squad for GWS speaks volumes of the kid.

Bipolarbear daz77

Although some are positive, there still are those who stick the boots in automatically because he is light framed.

Maybe I am a tad harsh. Probably am. But too many writing him off already this year. I just prefer to wait till the season proper starts and we see where he stands. The fact he is in the squad for GWS speaks volumes of the kid.
It's all good I understand. I'm a guilty one as I have the first post calling him a twig. I know I shouldn't expect a ready made star, so I will give this guy time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back