Delisted # 8: Martin Gleeson - Not offered a contract, finishes his Essendon career on 97 AFL games

Remove this Banner Ad

Not an ideal matchup for him either for Brisbane.

He isnt big enough for Close, Mcstay or Hipwood and Schache may come in for the latter 2.

Play Kelly, Bags and McGrath as the 3 small defenders with Stantons ability to rotate back if required. Bring in another dynamic mid/fwd. Not sure who that exactly is.

Begley, Redman or Howlett whoever performs otherwise No change.

Must have been watching a different game. Wasn't great but wasn't s**t like some are throwing up here.
This. Did people on here watch a different game? Some of his kicks inside 50s directly resulted in goals. Did some good intercepting.

Sure he had some bad parts but I thought he was okay

His kicking was 'hit and miss' from the defensive part of the ground - Which was similar to the team - Yet the teams kicking in the forward half of the ground was a good standard.

Puopolo absolutely schooled him in the first half. He got caught ball watching a lot. Second half was a lot better. Dea was great in the VFL. So the pressure should be on

This. Did people on here watch a different game? Some of his kicks inside 50s directly resulted in goals. Did some good intercepting.

A lot of players were rusty in that first half, some poor skills and poor decision making, Gleeson included. But we were very clean in the 2nd half and I don't think a single player in our 22 was poor.

It's the age old thing, make one error and get a bad bounce that result in goals and you've had a "mare" as a defender.

Don't mind the scoring chains he started, strong marks and the rest of his game that was good.

It's the age old thing, make one error and get a bad bounce that result in goals and you've had a "mare" as a defender.

Don't mind the scoring chains he started, strong marks and the rest of his game that was good.
I agree that he did a few good things. He reads the ball well, puts himself in the right place and is able to intercept mark. He is obviously training hard and getting the most out of himself.

He will find the rebounding defender role difficult to hold because he doesn't have the pace to pull away from opposition players. He can sometimes get a few steps on them when he has momentum, but doesn't have the raw acceleration. Also he is quite skinny, and lacks the core body strength to stand up in a tackle. When he gets tackled he is always pinned to the ground.

He was awful, really hope Dea comes in for the Brisbane game.
The only awful things about his game were 3 free kicks given away, two of which were complete bullshit in my opinion for actions completely unintentional, and a handful of missed kicks. And I can easily excuse that stuff for his intercept marking and his run out of defence. Proved more than capable of switching and setting up the play as well. Overall, it was hardly an awful performance.

I agree that he did a few good things. He reads the ball well, puts himself in the right place and is able to intercept mark. He is obviously training hard and getting the most out of himself.

He will find the rebounding defender role difficult to hold because he doesn't have the pace to pull away from opposition players. He can sometimes get a few steps on them when he has momentum, but doesn't have the raw acceleration. Also he is quite skinny, and lacks the core body strength to stand up in a tackle. When he gets tackled he is always pinned to the ground.
Spot on. McKenna for me offers more from a development standpoint so pump Gleeson's games into him.

The only awful things about his game were 3 free kicks given away, two of which were complete bullshit in my opinion for actions completely unintentional, and a handful of missed kicks. And I can easily excuse that stuff for his intercept marking and his run out of defence. Proved more than capable of switching and setting up the play as well. Overall, it was hardly an awful performance.
Pretty much this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Speaking of free kicks, he was lucky not give give a couple more HTB's away, especially one to Rioli 15m out from goal. Footskills were suspect at best as usual, although the spot up kick to Green in the corridor excellent. Seemed troubled by the movement of Breust when matched on him and lost him on several occasions. He was our worst small defender by some way. As for rebound, switch kicks and intercept marks, what defender isn't capable of doing these things? Dea is just as good in the air, more reliable by foot and better defensively. McKenna isn't as good aerially, but his upside is enormous and should also get a game ahead of Gleeson IMO.

He was poor
week one on one
tried to kick ball away in marking competition instead of putting body behind the ball.
got clobbered for holding the ball once could have been twice
silly shepherding free kick where he was way too obvious
marking contest ineffectual and copped a flick to the face and went off
he showed a bit of run but he is just not reliable. he is physically weak and is too small for a tall and not quick enough for a small
his run in the middle of the ground when bruest hurt himself was good and he got some footy in the last quarter
i can't wear him but i hope i am absolutely wrong

Must admit I didn't think he had as bad a game as most people on here seem to think. If you were going to pick some players that didn't play at their best there would still be a few despite the win. Wouldn't drop a player for making mistakes in the first game of the season when part of his role in the team is to take the game on.

I swear his kicking was better in his first year, it's like he's been asked to take those risky kicks that can really pay off if they hit the target. More often than not he's kicking it straight down the middle of the ground.

He had a bad game. He did some good offensive things in the 2nd half, but as a defender you need to be able to defend first and foremost and in the first half he gave up 3 goals due to poor decision making or poor execution.

Give him one more game against he Lions to prove it was a one-off, but if same thing happens next week then either move him on to the wing, where costly errors don't lead to easy goals or drop him back to the twos and bring in Dea.

He was poor
week one on one
tried to kick ball away in marking competition instead of putting body behind the ball.
got clobbered for holding the ball once could have been twice
silly shepherding free kick where he was way too obvious
marking contest ineffectual and copped a flick to the face and went off
he showed a bit of run but he is just not reliable. he is physically weak and is too small for a tall and not quick enough for a small
his run in the middle of the ground when bruest hurt himself was good and he got some footy in the last quarter
i can't wear him but i hope i am absolutely wrong

He was fine.

Took the game on and set himself up in good spots for interception that stopped Hawthorn going forward a number of times.

Was instrumental in a few forward forays that resulted in goals.

The guy could have gone at 100% DE with 20 intercept marks and you would find something to bag him on.

There always needs to be 1 player this board needs to blame everything on doesn't there.

Nothing said about Parish going at 56%DE but Marty blocks poorly on 1 occasion and his whole game was s**t.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back