Delisted # 8: Martin Gleeson - Not offered a contract, finishes his Essendon career on 97 AFL games

Remove this Banner Ad

Can't remember exactly when it was in the North game, but i cracked up laughing when i saw Gleeson stiff arm one of the north defenders. I was up the other end of the ground so didn't see exactly who it was, but i'm assuming it was one of their younger players.

Having a really good year and cementing himself in the best 22

Can't remember exactly when it was in the North game, but i cracked up laughing when i saw Gleeson stiff arm one of the north defenders. I was up the other end of the ground so didn't see exactly who it was, but i'm assuming it was one of their younger players.

Having a really good year and cementing himself in the best 22
I think maybe it was a north supporting child?

At 191+cm Gleeson is almost KPP size. He was also underweight at 186cm I don't see how growing 5cm wouldn't affect his strength and power.

I don't believe that Marty is 191.

Hurley is meant to be 193 and looks 5cm taller than Marty.

Big chance for Gleeson to prove himself if manned on Tom Lynch this weekend - definitely one of the better third talls in the league that can accumulate around the ground. Players in our squad being able to win these type of match ups is what takes you from being a good team to a great team.

Tom Lynch average since return (last four rounds):
Disposals: 24
Marks: 7
Goals: 1.5

Imagine a win for Gleeson has Lynch's stat sheet look like:
Disposals: <18
Marks: <5
Goals : <2

Was hung out to dry by the coaches. Still performed great when he didn't have to fight one out against a taller opponent.

Quickly becoming my favorite player

Marty Party

YvIE1O.gif

Didn't give him votes tonight but he was next in line. His confidence and composure in going for intercept marks and spoils has reached the level required to match his ability. I am so excited for what's ahead for him now as he is maturing into a dependable defender.
Had him in. Linked up really well with Hurley all night.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Had him in. Linked up really well with Hurley all night.
He and Hurley have actually been a really solid combo back there this year. One of the severely underrated aspects of intercept marking is blocking opposition forwards by getting in their road in marking contests. They do it for each other quite well.

Gleeson's turn around in the second half of the season has been a big factor in our revival. He has played some cracking games in that time. I think the Sydney game was one of his absolute best (the last contest aside).

I actually thought the writing was on the wall for him but his intercept marking makes him a handy type to have.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back