Delisted # 8: Martin Gleeson - Not offered a contract, finishes his Essendon career on 97 AFL games

Remove this Banner Ad

08 - Marty Gleeson.jpg

Contract Status: Not offered another contract in 2022
Last Game Played: Elimination Final, 2021
Injury Status: n/a

Last edited by a moderator:
32162_3851466783993_1920566159_n.jpg

Welcome to the Essendon Football Club, Martin Gleeson!

Height: 186cm
Weight: 70kg (!!)
D/O/B: 25/8/1994
Position: Defender/Wing
Recruited From: North Ballarat Rebels

Key Strengths:
  • Hard runner
  • Very quick
  • Great endurance, fantastic disposal, good decision maker
  • Durable
Weaknesses:
  • Very lightly built for his height
  • Lack of strength for a defender
I don't know a lot about young Gleeson, aside from the fact that he looks as though he needs to visit KFC. That said, we thought (and still think) the same thing about Fletch. The bonus of Martin is that he is always calm and composed in games, and never lets pressure get to him. This mixed with his clever disposal and good decision making will ensure that he is a mainstay in the VFL team at the very least. Once he packs on some muscle and strength, we can expect to see him sticking close to Fletch or Goddard when he plays off half back.
Potential gem.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lotch

Club Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
532088_10151249704519356_518904482_n.jpg

Martin Gleeson
Former club: North Ballarat Rebels
DOB:25/08/1994
Height:186cm
Position: Defender
Weight:70kg
Hard running defender/wingman who has a good combination of speed and endurance. Is a composed player that uses the ball well with hand and foot. Durable type with good footy smarts. Played 16 TAC Cup matches this year averaging 14.1 disposals, four marks and two tackles.
Link

Fin ice Smuggler

Cancelled
Nov 13, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Macdonalds need to sponsor this kid.

I dont care how talented this kid might be, but didnt we draft Ross on the same basis.
Graham wins the Morrish medal gets runs on the board, plays midfield? Atkins is available wins Calders B&F and we take a project 10 year old and a player who played only 10 games with Box hill in 3 years.

Seriously WTF?

Oct 22, 2008
Geelong
AFL Club
Essendon
Macdonalds need to sponsor this kid.

I dont care how talented this kid might be, but didnt we draft Ross on the same basis.
Graham wins the Morrish medal gets runs on the board, plays midfield? Atkins is available wins Calders B&F and we take a project 10 year old and a player who played only 10 games with Box hill in 3 years.

Seriously WTF?

Thats the bit I'm not getting. When he came over Bomber made a thing about bigger bodies and they hyped up our fitness coach, but then the recruiters keep picking these low 70s types that "need time" who get struck from the list after a couple...

Maybe the few who make it through will be guns in 4-5 years. Here's hoping.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wow. And I thought Merrett looked young last year!

Welcome to Essendon, Martin.

will be interesting to see what merrett's weight is at when they do the 2013 player profile update.
Will give us an indication as to how long young marty will take.

Holy s**t, I'm that height and weigh more than him, and I'm like ridiculously skinny. Does make me feel better about myself though haha

Edit; and Gregory's 10cm taller than me and I weigh more than him. I'm having the best day

Hopefully he comes good. He is very skinny though. His highlights package is good (but that what they are meant to be, right ;) ) Actually looks bigger than his weight leads us to believe. Strong overhead and seems to know his way around a pack.

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspurs, Melbourne Vixen
Hopefully he comes good. He is very skinny though. His highlights package is good (but that what they are meant to be, right ;) ) Actually looks bigger than his weight leads us to believe. Strong overhead and seems to know his way around a pack.

We said the same thing about Ross but he played games early, injuries prevented that kid from coming good.

Hoping injuries stay away from this twig and we have got ourselves a really good option from half back.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back