Past Matthew Kreuzer

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: #8. Matthew Kreuzer

The boys all looked pretty good at the sponsors dinner thingy. Eddie is a funny man, very funny.

Yep, I definately noticed his improved ruck work on the weekend, I was actually quite surprised sometimes I have to admit.

I try not to expect too much from him obviously, but it's amazing how fast he seems to be developing, and for mine he is already very much a super important player to have out on the ground. I just hope to God we don't stuff his body, but I trust they know what their doing with him ;)

Tend to agree. I would feel much more comfortable with him playing back-up ruck rather than first ruck. The sooner Warnock gets fit the better for Matty's wellbeing.

True that...y'know these past couple of weeks I'd forgotten we even have Warnock :eek:

Still plays like a 200cm on-baller, but really seems to have improved his ruckwork for mine.....looks to be leaping higher, timing his jumps better and directing the ball to advantage with some force.....

just got this screen dump of him jumping over Leuey (damn windows mdia player won't let me screen capture).....anyway, he did this frequently last week.
This was the centre bounce that followed the first goal.

05c9acfb.jpg

Kreuzer goes alright for a player who might not be tall enough to ruck.

Though you need to read the polls board and Bay 13 before you form an opinion on a Carlton player. :D
Luenberger is so good whatever combination involves him you'd take. The berger will be a star, and Carlton, Essendon and the Kangaroos will all regret passing on him.
Cotchin could be in a wheelchair and have down syndrom and you'd still take the combo purely due to the Berger.
Not really. I happen to rate both Gibbs and kruezer quite highly. I think btoh will become good players.

But I rate Luenberger THAT highly. He's one of the best young players I can remember seeing.
We missed out on Pennydlebury too. :eek: :rolleyes:

nah, not that one, but thanks for the effort TG.:thumbsu: I think the bounces I were referring to were in the 3rd or last quarters, and he jumped well over him unlike that shot.

By rights, the Berger should have won the tap at a throw in our forwardline IIRC, but Kreuzer came from nowhere and jumped right over the top.

Very impressive leap.

Link

In Matthew Kreuzer, Carlton has a good ruckman who has the potential to be outstanding. The Blues need only 50 per cent of the taps going their way to be dangerous and, with Kreuzer's development, this may be the minimum they get.

He is seventh in 2009 for hitouts (42), with 10 of those to advantage. Not bad for a guy in just his second year of football.

Figured you'd be the guys to ask, do yous know how kreuz pulled up after his knocks on the weekend, and how do you reckon he'll go against jolly this weekend?

Apparently he has pulled up fine but the deep gash in his head isn't exactly healing at a pace that would be described as quick.

As a result, expect to see him wearing a helmet like players in the good old days, as a means of protecting the head.

He'll be right.

Quietly Kreuzin' to noisy,navy blue applause
Carlton development and academy manager Darren Harris works closely with Kreuzer, along with development coaches Robert Harvey and David Teague, and he has watched the transformation taking place.

"Matthew has got a leadership role within the development squad, and has a group of players he is in charge of," Harris said.

"Though he is not outspoken outside in a social sense, when he needs to say something, he says it. And everyone listens.

"He knows the game and is starting to take a real leadership role out on the field."
My tip is Kreuzer will Captain the Blues in a similar vein to fellow former big men John Nicholls, Mike Fitzpatrick and Stephen Kernahan.

It's a Carlton tradition. :thumbsu:

He cannot do much about the height situation, but he did put on almost 5kg over summer -- taking him to just on 100kg.
:eek:

Yet Kreuzer still has a lot of filling out to do...

Kreuzer will be a shark at 25 with the way he hunts the ball and opponents.

An 18 year old Kreuzer ragdolled Brogan after a centre bounce and won a free kick.

BEAST.
It helps that fellow Blues big men at Carlton - Robert Warnock, Sam Jacobs and Shaun Hampson - are also young, developing types.

"Matty Capuano has been fantastic for us all," he said. "He's taught us how to jump properly and talked about our second and third efforts around the ground. He's big on that.

"I also spend a bit of time with Matty Allan in the development group, which is good."
That's arguably the best young ruck division in the AFL with all being 200 cms or taller.

It's a bonus having Hampson, Kreuzer and Warnock who can win the ball after the tap and not be out of the contest.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kreuzer real ruck and role model

So agile is the teenager, Lappin said he fought a losing battle each week trying to convince Carlton's match committee to play Kreuzer in attack. "I was in at match committee this morning, arguing, trying to get him forward a bit more, so I'm fighting the midfield coach there, because we need him at both ends of the ground," he said. But Lappin is convinced Kreuzer will spend more time in attack as the season progresses.

"If we keep rucking the kid week in, week out, by round 22 he might be burnt out," Lappin said.

"He's had little snippets up forward throughout the season, a quarter, half a quarter here, half a quarter there, and I am trying to stretch it to two quarters here, two quarters there.

"If we just make him ruck week in, week out, it is not going to be doing his development the best."
I've been thinking the same way.

We need to play Kreuzer forward so he can get through the year.

I think we all have. He is an amazng prospect, infact he's even better than that, he's already one of our better players. He needs to spend more time up forward for himself and for the team.

CBF making another 'toast' thread but boy was Kreuze great last night. 18 touches, 29 hitouts carrer high:thumbsu:, 5 tackles. Wish we could of used him more up forward but there you go.

I don't want to rain on your parade, but the stats I've seen on both Footywire and AFL.com.au say he had 16 disposals and 22 hitouts :confused:

Beat him in every area.

That being said though, Kreuze is a no.1 draft pick and Cox is a second round rookie draft pick. So expectation is everything.

Has looked tired to me the last few weeks. Hasn't been providing the marking option out of defence he did earlier in the season - not unexpected too, given his age. Reckon the midseason break will do him a world of good.

I noticed this too, mostly in the last game. Looked somewhat lethargic too at times even though you know he's giving his all.
But yes, it's to be expected. For someone of his age and experience to have done what he's done so far this year is quite incredible. I've actually been quite surprised at how big his tank is TBH.
Hopefully the break will freshen him up nicely.

As much as undersized ruckman seem to be the flavour of the month, and guys like Ryder, Brennan et al are all proving to be quality in the ruck this year - when it comes down to it they'll get hammered in the ruck contests by Sandilands simply because of the height factor.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back