Past Matthew Kreuzer

Remove this Banner Ad

Windhover

Premiership Player
Mar 16, 2010
Ruffy
AFL Club
Carlton
The Kreuzer FA Option was kind of Win-Win.

If he stays and plays most matches for the next three years - CFC has a massive WIN
If he had of left, and CFC got pick #2, then CFC lost a Champ but potentially would gain another long term Champ = WIN.

Very happy he is staying, Champions are aways hard to find.

I kind of agree with what you are saying with two slight modifications. First, we are in serious rebuild. Any player contracted to play for us needs to be viewed from that perspective. Kreuzer will be important to us in rebuild because he is a quality ruckman/forward who we can hope will be playing for us into his 30s. He has plenty of time to contribute to our next flag.

So it is not that he plays most matches in the next 3 years but rather that he has the ability to contribute to the team after 2018 that matters. Also, there is no doubt he is inspirational on the field and will be exemplary for younger players to follow.

Secondly, I am doubtful we would have got pick 2. But had we got pick 2 there is equally no doubt we should then have been able to pick a player who could contribute to the team after 2018.

F_therest

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 3, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Can anyone confirm whether Krooz did indeed fail a medical at Collingwood?
Was that a factor in why he chose to re-sign with us or he simply chose us?

Can anyone confirm whether Krooz did indeed fail a medical at Collingwood?
Was that a factor in why he chose to re-sign with us or he simply chose us?
I dont think he failed the medical as such but they (Collingwood) were concerned that he was a risk of being injured over the course of the next 4 years and were not prepared to offer a 4 year contract.

Western Bulldogs may have been of the same opinion , not worth the risk.

There were no other deals on the table so he had no option but to sign with us.

I could be wrong (has happened once or twice before) but not for a second do I believe that Kreuzer failed a medical at Collingwood, or anywhere else for that matter.

I believe that story was made up to cover Witts who had been put on the table by the Pies as part of a potential deal for Treloar.

However, as a contracted player Witts has the right to reject any move involving him, and my guess is that's exactly what happened.

Once Witts decided he did not want to move, they had to come up with something to explain why they were no longer interested in Kreuzer, and they were not going to throw Witts under the bus.

Collingwood would have been interested in Kreuzer but there is no way known he would have been recruited unless one of Witts or Grundy were out the door, and Grundy is going nowhere anytime soon.

F_therest

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 3, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
I could be wrong (has happened once or twice before) but not for a second do I believe that Kreuzer failed a medical at Collingwood, or anywhere else for that matter.

I believe that story was made up to cover Witts who had been put on the table by the Pies as part of a potential deal for Treloar.

However, as a contracted player Witts has the right to reject any move involving him, and my guess is that's exactly what happened.

Once Witts decided he did not want to move, they had to come up with something to explain why they were no longer interested in Kreuzer, and they were not going to throw Witts under the bus.

Collingwood would have been interested in Kreuzer but there is no way known he would have been recruited unless one of Witts or Grundy were out the door, and Grundy is going nowhere anytime soon.

No chance Kreuzer or his manager let Collingwood lie about failing a medical as it would hurt his chances of securing a contract elsewhere and impact his $$$

james Dean

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 18, 2006
Otherside of the Tracks
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
PHX, NUFC, Pats

Opens the door for a defamation lawsuit from Kreuzer. As mentioned above a fabricated story like that would greatly affect his value on the open market

Azzurri Blue2

Senior List
Apr 3, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
Forget the Collingwood thing. All a fabrication. There's no way he would had been offered big money by them. Why would they??? So he could play in their seconds... Grundy is a better player, younger and much more durable. Kruz can't play second ruck. No strings to his bow like Grundy can only play ruck.

They are a bunch of ****Witts! :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nov 14, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
Bring this combo on for many years to come!!!

516934-a0729362-4a0c-11e5-a05e-f1249120d4d6.jpg

Which one is the ruckman again?

Windhover

Premiership Player
Mar 16, 2010
Ruffy
AFL Club
Carlton
Please help me.

The rumours that Kreuzer was rejected by the Pies and Bullies because he was NQR have to be given some credence after his start to the year. Is it just me or has he looked stuffed the whole time he has been on the ground. Speaking of which, he has only been on the ground 72% of game time. He used to have a huge tank and could run other ruckmen into the ground. Goldstein, Martin, Tippett and Hickey are up around the 90% mark. Sinclair on 82%. Jacobs, McEvoy and Hampson all with naturally smaller tank have 77%, 73% and 72% game time respectively.

Last year we know Kreuzer only played the last 13 games having struggled with injury beforehand. Even so, having played 4.3 times the games (13) last year than this year's 3, he he took 10 times the marks (40 plays 4, none contested), 5.5 times the tackles and 6 times the disposals.

I was expecting Kreuzer, uninjured and with a full pre-season, to come back better than before. Not worse. The only mark he took against Gold Coast was a cheap chip-kick mark in the first quarter. I watched the last 1/2 of the Hawks v Doggies game and saw 168 cm Caleb Daniels take more marks than kreuzer has all year.

No one could doubt Kreuzer's endeavour. It is obvious in everything he has done since he has come to the club. Since I do not doubt it, I am only left with injury as an explanation. But if it were an acute injury, why play him? Why not let it heal? I am sure hoping that he hasn't gone the way of Daisy and would desperately like to reach some other conclusion.

Please help.

Nov 3, 2006
Here
AFL Club
Carlton
I don't like us playing 2 ruckmen personally. Kruz & Phillips just aren't working together in my eyes. Bring in Jaksch or something for a crack, and bring Levi into the game a bit more as the backup ruck. If Kruz can do it then now is his time to shine. He tries a little too hard at times i feel, he needs to be the tractor just a little less, he spends petrol tickets a little unnecessarily doing things that don't need to be done.

El Topo

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 18, 2013
the wilderness
AFL Club
Carlton
Could be wrong here, but wasn't his new contract with the club hevily weighted toward match payments and incentives linked to games played? Add to that the fact that pre season track-watchers had him training with the rehab group despite the lack of a reoprted injury... certainly adds to the theory

james Dean

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 18, 2006
Otherside of the Tracks
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
PHX, NUFC, Pats
He's been awful to start the season has been easily beaten by Hampson and Nicholls who aren't exactly stars, and Tippet and Sinclair easily beat him too. Needs to step up and soon

gbatman

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 26, 2008
Behind You...
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Justice League
Kreuzer and Phillips seem to be sharing time forward and ruck. That's fine, you see teams like Hawthorn do it but Hale and McEvoy are a different kettle of fish. Both, particularly Hail, can impact up forward and it gives them a great advantage.

Neither of our big rucks can play forward. Kreuzer is spending a lot of time forward this year compared to other years and we're getting nothing out of it. Lacks forward smarts, doesn't read it in the air, isn't good one on one with defenders and isn't a strong mark. Phillips is much the same though it's more a lack of strength and weight with him at the moment. Not uncommon problems for rucks up forward mind you, only the special ones really cause problems up forward.

At this stage Kreuzer and Phillips have the combined stats of one decent player. Both go missing up forward, both are decent on the ball. Both players would be more suited to rucking the majority of the time, resting on the bench and having a big mobile forward like Casboult as the relief player.

I think we're trying to put games into Phillips which is fair enough because he looks like he could develop into a decent ruckman.

Kreuzer has never been a high possession player, high hitout player or good marking player. You play him forward significantly more than usual and you half that.

Pinnell

Club Legend
Aug 15, 2009
Richmond
AFL Club
Carlton
He's just a trier. Not very footy smart at all. Doesn't want the ball in the air. Nice bloke and the "heart and soul" as they say, but no more than a B grader at best. We need to recruit another ruckman for the future.

He was good when he came back last year. Something is amiss with him. I don't think he just lost those 2nd and 3rd efforts and ability to impose himself on a contest.

Paulski19

All Australian
Apr 18, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
I assumed they were just being "nice" to his body, easing him through games early and making sure he builds up some match fitness. Can't go from zero to hero straight away, and any time he's tried previously he has just broken down again....so as long as that is what they're doing, I'm fine with it. Hopefully he can play Goldstein like minutes sooner rather than later.

Back