Past Matthew Kreuzer

Remove this Banner Ad

If he was 5 cm shorter he would never have played an AFL game.

He would be a different type of player.

If he had no arms, he would have struggled though. Just as relevant.

We need a new ruckman almost as much as a key forward. Phillips is a decent back up but Kreuzer would be in the worst 3, #1 rucks on the league

Kreuzer shares the ruck with Phillips. Given statistically there is bugger all between Kreuzer and Phillips this year, if you called Phillips number 1 and Kreuzer the back up, what would your rating be?

12 disposals, 7 clearances, team high 22 pressure acts and he still cops a bagging. Both were decent today.

Pinnell

Club Legend
Aug 15, 2009
Richmond
AFL Club
Carlton
Kreuzer shares the ruck with Phillips. Given statistically there is bugger all between Kreuzer and Phillips this year, if you called Phillips number 1 and Kreuzer the back up, what would your rating be?

12 disposals, 7 clearances, team high 22 pressure acts and he still cops a bagging. Both were decent today.
Pressure acts? Pressure acts? How many of those make up for the fact that a 2m tall ruckman can't take a single mark? Game was on the line when he went forward in the last q and he ran under the ball. But hey , he chased the ball when they ran it out of the backline and got a pressure act on his stats sheet. Fair dinkum.

Different player? He has ordinary skills and can't read the game. Tries hard though

He is a taller, heavier player who plays in a contested position. His skills are affected accordingly. He wouldn't just lose height in your hypothetical, he would gain mobility and agility and become less contested. He would maintain the pressure acts though.

Disagree about not reading the game though. Watch how many times he gets a hand to the ball to lock the ball in when the opposition is about to clear it.

Pressure acts? Pressure acts? How many of those make up for the fact that a 2m tall ruckman can't take a single mark? Game was on the line when he went forward in the last q and he ran under the ball. But hey , he chased the ball when they ran it out of the backline and got a pressure act on his stats sheet. Fair dinkum.

Oh I see, he didn't take a mark in a game and suddenly he is terrible at everything he does.

If I had realised you were just here to have an emotional overreaction to an instance of a player running under a ball and look for a scapegoat, I would have left you to it.

Pinnell

Club Legend
Aug 15, 2009
Richmond
AFL Club
Carlton
He is a taller, heavier player who plays in a contested position. His skills are affected accordingly. He wouldn't just lose height in your hypothetical, he would gain mobility and agility and become less contested. He would maintain the pressure acts though.

Disagree about not reading the game though. Watch how many times he gets a hand to the ball to lock the ball in when the opposition is about to clear it.
God help us if our recruiters are drafting someone because they can get a hand in for a block every now and then - doesn't matter if the said player can't kick or mark and has no idea how to spread or drop back in the defensive hole to help out his defenders.

james Dean

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 18, 2006
Otherside of the Tracks
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
PHX, NUFC, Pats

'Decent' against a back up ruckman and a key defender posing as a ruckman is insufficient. If Naitanui had of played he would have had 50 hit outs today. The fact that Kreuzer can't even dominate the ruck (which is the primary role of the ruckman) speaks volumes about how underwhelming he is as a player

For the record this is the 10th game Kreuzer has failed to take a mark in his career. Goldstein has failed to take a mark 11 times. Natanui has failed to take a mark 27 times. Buggered if I know how this became a measure of anything.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mate. Comparing Goldstein and Naitanui with Kruezer? I'm not going to waste my time.

Is that what I did? Is it really? Or did your point about not taking a mark in a game fall flat?

My points? Can't mark. Can't kick. No idea how to spread and link up. Lacks the height to ruck and if he was 5cms shorter would never have had the tools to play AFL . Good at pressure acts though and we all love him.

Not very constructive for a supporter. Why are you targeting Kreuzer in his own player thread today? Was he our worst or anywhere close?

He was 90% contested today, so was Phillips. Kreuzer with a slightly better efficiency %.

In terms of spread, I recall a couple of instances today where Kreuzer got himself into space on a much smaller opponent and we didn't use him because we were intent on going sideways and backwards. Commentators even pointed it out. How often do you see ruckmen alone around the ground?

Kreuzer had a fantastic intercept and dash through traffic at half back today, found Sumner long and it ended in a Charlie Curnow goal.

Not very constructive for a supporter. Why are you targeting Kreuzer in his own player thread today? Was he our worst or anywhere close?

He was 90% contested today, so was Phillips. Kreuzer with a slightly better efficiency %.

In terms of spread, I recall a couple of instances today where Kreuzer got himself into space on a much smaller opponent and we didn't use him because we were intent on going sideways and backwards. Commentators even pointed it out. How often do you see ruckmen alone around the ground?

Kreuzer had a fantastic intercept and dash through traffic at half back today, found Sumner long and it ended in a Charlie Curnow goal.
Mate... he is just here to bag Kreuzer... if I was going to hazard a guess I would say that it is an alt account for one of the serial Kreuzer bashers.

Kreuzer had a great game... smashed a weagle in a tackle which lead to one of our goals. Can't ask more than that from a guy 2m tall.

As for this bullshit about if he was 5cm shorter he wouldn't be playing AFL... what a crock of s**t. Sounds like something that someone would say who has never even played grade football at any level and was the last person picked in primary school pick up games.

Despite the fact certain posters around here make it sound like Kreuzer is one of the worst 200cm players to grace AFL football, he keeps getting a game.

I think I'll back the coaching staff's judgement on this one. He has his flaws but what player doesn't.

Pinnell

Club Legend
Aug 15, 2009
Richmond
AFL Club
Carlton
Mate... he is just here to bag Kreuzer... if I was going to hazard a guess I would say that it is an alt account for one of the serial Kreuzer bashers.

Kreuzer had a great game... smashed a weagle in a tackle which lead to one of our goals. Can't ask more than that from a guy 2m tall.

As for this bullshit about if he was 5cm shorter he wouldn't be playing AFL... what a crock of s**t. Sounds like something that someone would say who has never even played grade football at any level and was the last person picked in primary school pick up games.
Wow. Gone for the jugular! Thanks for the laughs this morning - couldn't help myself when I read that. You have a great day.

This is the most consistent and strongest I have seen Kreuzer and I couldn't be happier for him. He sets the tone in terms of manic attack in the contest.

Kramer1

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 8, 2007
AFL Club
Carlton
Would have to be the best run of games Kreuzer has played across the journey. Probably had his best pre-season preparation in eons, which has made such a difference.
Had similar patches in 12 and 13 when Warnock was injured. Any time he has been fit and rucking solo basically...shame there hasn't been much of either.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back