Past #8: Nathan Hrovat - won't be offered a new contract - thanks Rat

Could be your memory or it could have been the thousand times you read it in the trades thread. ;)
Man, I barely read any of the trade week stuff, just posted :p

Too many cry babies around this year.

Feb 1, 2008
Thailand
AFL Club
North Melbourne
AFL

2012 AFL Draft: Pick Me - Nathan Hrovat
IT was the $50 that helped put Nathan Hrovat on the draft map.

After copping a blast for his fitness levels in a frank 2011 season review, the pint-sized midfielder was told it was time to "pull his finger out’’ or his AFL dream would disappear.

Hrovat got straight to work, hell-bent on producing a faultless pre-season.

EXCLUSIVE VIDEO: Watch highlights of Hrovat and get our expert analysis in the video player above

He grabbed his runners on New Years Day and hit the Rye beach and was desperate to not let a family holiday on the Gold Coast in January stall his fitness regime.

See Sam Landsberger's Pick me series in full

Hrovat forked out $50 for a seven-day membership at a Gold Coast gym and hit it twice most days.

When he wasn’t lifting weights in the sunshine state, Hrovat was out honing his kicking skills at Southport and any football ground he could find.

The next Jobe Watson could be headed to the Dees

"Being a diminutive type I need to be really strong around the ball, so it certainly helped,’’ Hrovat said.

His initiative didn’t end there.

118970-nathan-hrovat.jpg

Nathan Hrovat of Vic Metro in action during the 2012 NAB AFL Under 18 Championship between VIC Metro and Western Australia at Etihad Stadium, Melbourne. (Photo: Michael Willson/AFL Media)

The Northern Knights captain hooked up with Brent Harvey, eager to tap into AFL resources after seeing the fruits of Lachie Hunter and Jack Viney’s father-son connections.

Hrovat’s dedication immediately impressed the North Melbourne champion.

"He’s got a lot of talent, and that’s one small part of it, but the want and the desire to constantly improve is a big part of making an AFL footballer, and Nathan’s got that,’’ Harvey said.

"I guess the knock on him is he’s short. And that’s why he wanted to speak to me, to see what sort of extra stuff you need to go to get over that hurdle.’’

Harvey mentored Hrovat this year, dishing out key advice on burst speed techniques, diets and training approaches.

Pick Me: Joe Daniher is the next Bombers superstar

As the Sam Mitchell-type tore TAC Cup sides apart with his clearance work, he went from speculative draft hopeful to a probable late choice.

Then the accolades came, igniting Hrovat up the order.

Vic Metro’s MVP and vice-captain, All-Australian, Knights best-and-fairest winner despite playing just eight games and third in the Morrish medal and second in TAC Cup coaches award.

"I spoke to our recruiters at the start of the year and they said ‘he’s got things to work on, he might get drafted’ to people talking about first-round now,’’ Harvey said.

113446-nathan-hrovat.jpg

n05wp607 Nathan Hrovat has been selected to represent the Vic Metro u15 footy team in the National Championships Picture: Travis Mccue

"It’d be good to have him at Arden St, he’s an outstanding footballer and he’s got great character, so he’d fit our club well.’’

Mar 16, 2001
Melbourne VIC
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wales, Eastwood, West Ham
So overall has the Doggy melt been half as hot as when Higgins joined?
They are all zen now they have seen a flag. Nothing bothers them, they drop by to wish us well, they have no hard feelings about anyone leaving.

Definitely moves more like Mitchell than Boomer in my opinion, less pace means he kicks around the corner a bit more, rather than straightening up, but does it with great skill and effectiveness, appears to be pretty good on the left side also.

Is it actually conceivable we'll still be hanging around the bottom of the eight with a decent injury run next season?

Its conceivable if we play like s**t.

Heaps of fun

Goatered on the sticks
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Can't see any resemblance to boomer in his style of play. Can see a little of the Mitchell comparison.

Think someone mentioned Peter Bell, that's a better likeness in playing style for mine.
A tiny bit in the kicking action. Different ball drop but seems to fly off the foot in the same way.
Different sort of player for us to accommodate in the team.

Mattdougie

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Sorry guys this bloke is not much.

Average footballer and average disposal. Couldn't crack a start in our team even with injuries so I wouldn't get too excited about him.

He may prove me wrong he does have some fans at the dogs but he was behind Lin Jong and that says something.

ArjenTheGreat

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 22, 2005
Arden St
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Average footballer and average disposal. Couldn't crack a start in our team even with injuries so I wouldn't get too excited about him.

He may prove me wrong he does have some fans at the dogs but he was behind Lin Jong and that says something.

Behind the marketing gimmick?

Jeepers.

Good thing we spent SFA then as you are the oracle.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone

Thanks, appreciated.

I've just mailed our list manager to request he's either retrospectively un-recruited or at worst delisted immediately.

Phew. Crisis averted.

Copy'n'paste from the Higgins thread.

(Bulldogs Board version of teffy is mattdougie for those wondering)

Mattdougie

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Copy'n'paste from the Higgins thread.

(Bulldogs Board version of teffy is mattdougie for those wondering)

Oh no Higgins could play the game he just isn't able to play through any type of injury and he has many.

Hrovat simply isn't any good but turn will tell.

Back