Past #8: Nathan Hrovat - won't be offered a new contract - thanks Rat

Remove this Banner Ad

Really excited by this guy.

Moves really well and of course tough to keep a spot in Dogs midfield (their only strength)

He will play round 1 and with Clarke reshape our midfield for the better.
The Rat will be a great pick up for the Roos. Hope he has more luck with injury and has a chance for his talent to burst out. If the midfield is the dogs only strength, I would hate to see how good they would be if they strengthen up in other areas. Good luck to Nathan and the Roos for the season, hope they both have a great one.

The Rat will be a great pick up for the Roos. Hope he has more luck with injury and has a chance for his talent to burst out. If the midfield is the dogs only strength, I would hate to see how good they would be if they strengthen up in other areas. Good luck to Nathan and the Roos for the season, hope they both have a great one.

I think you are very average up front and back. But have a very talented, deep and hard working midfield that is coached well which is what the modern game is all about.

North are better up fwd and back compared to the dogs.

Hrovat being fringe Dogs player doesnt worry me. Our biggest weakness is a poor midfield which i think he will be a positive addition to.

Last edited:
I think you are very average up front and back. But have an very talented, deep and hard working midfield that is coached well which is what the modern game is all about.

I think North are better up fwd and back compared to the dogs.

Hrovat being fringe Dogs player doesnt worry me. Our biggest weakness is a poor midfield which i think he will be a positive addition to.
He will be a positive influence, no doubt, to any side. Saw his first game for the dogs and he was exciting. Has a touch of class. Injuries have stopped him playing more at the dogs. To say they are very average fwd and back is harsh. In this elite competition a side would not be in a position to win a flag if they were very average up front and back. The modern game relies on many things, it is not as simple as having a few talented midfielders and being well coached. Id say most other sides would struggle up forward and back to get the same even contribution from players as what the dogs do. Hope the Kangas give you much joy this season!

He will be a positive influence, no doubt, to any side. Saw his first game for the dogs and he was exciting. Has a touch of class. Injuries have stopped him playing more at the dogs. To say they are very average fwd and back is harsh. In this elite competition a side would not be in a position to win a flag if they were very average up front and back. The modern game relies on many things, it is not as simple as having a few talented midfielders and being well coached. Id say most other sides would struggle up forward and back to get the same even contribution from players as what the dogs do. Hope the Kangas give you much joy this season!

I think we will be a lot better than many think. Our incoming outweighs our outgoing, and this from a consistent finals quality team, one of which was better or very close to the Dogs outside this year.

Sure Dogs are very likely to remain better for the next couple of years, mainly because your midfield is clearly superior.

Last edited:
I think we will be a lot better than many think. Our incoming outweighs our outgoing, and this from a consistent finals quality team, one of which was better or very close to the Dogs outside this year.

Yes I'd say you are average fwd and back. Crameri back wil help, Morris, Johanisson and Ward are quality, Boyd young and flaky but delivered on the GF day to his credit. Stringer and Dahl are ok also.

North with Wood, Brown, Tarrant, Higgins, Thomas, Macmillan, McDonald, Wright, Williams, Thompson are better, which i stand by.

Problem is we don't get enough footy up there due to your, once again, brilliant midfield of which I'm jealous of.
So we are better than the reigning premiers?..okaaay. We were so far off a flag its not funny. Anyway onwards and upwards..

So we are better than the reigning premiers?..okaaay. We were so far off a flag its not funny. Anyway onwards and upwards..

Yeah because i said that didn't I.

We are closer to a flag now than we have been for a long time as the list badly needed a freshen up. Think we are very well placed now we've discarded veterans (sorry Spud, only player I'll miss), and heaps of new players coming through which is exciting for mine.

Last edited:

We are closer to a flag now than we have been for a long time. Think we are very well placed now we've discarded overpaid veterans (sorry Spud, only player I'll miss), and heaps of new players coming through which is exciting for mine.

Oh dear - is that you, Brad?

We are closer to a flag now than we have been for a long time. Think we are very well placed now we've discarded overpaid veterans (sorry Spud, only player I'll miss), and heaps of new players coming through which is exciting for mine.

Will be interesting to see how North go without Wells, Harvey, NDal. More exiting now to see how Hrovat, Clarke, Mountford etc go this year in the midfield. One thing for sure. They will apply more defensive pressure.

Will be interesting to see how North go without Wells, Harvey, NDal. More exiting now to see how Hrovat, Clarke, Mountford etc go this year in the midfield. One thing for sure. They will apply more defensive pressure.
I was thinking the same. We might have lost eons of experience and a fair bit of class, but apart from Spud, the players we have lost have neither been particularly defensive or intimidating. None of Boomer, NDS, Wellsy, Dish, Nahas, Ray, and even toss in BMac, had mongrel. I'm hoping we see a more aggressive North side this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If he avoids injury, Hrovat could be the trade of the year.

In his first season, plenty of Dogs fans declared him the next-big-thing.
Then he got hurt a couple of times, and never really got a good run at it for quite a while. Meanwhile, a kid called Caleb Daniel came on the scene...

I reckon you've got the goods here. I really would have liked to keep him, probably moreso than any other player since Callan Ward went to GWS.

Hope he becomes the player I think he will.

If he avoids injury, Hrovat could be the trade of the year.

In his first season, plenty of Dogs fans declared him the next-big-thing.
Then he got hurt a couple of times, and never really got a good run at it for quite a while. Meanwhile, a kid called Caleb Daniel came on the scene...

I reckon you've got the goods here. I really would have liked to keep him, probably moreso than any other player since Callan Ward went to GWS.

Hope he becomes the player I think he will.

All of above would be nice.

If North manage to somehow finish above WB in addition to this will be steal of the decade. :thumbsu:

I was thinking the same. We might have lost eons of experience and a fair bit of class, but apart from Spud, the players we have lost have neither been particularly defensive or intimidating. None of Boomer, NDS, Wellsy, Dish, Nahas, Ray, and even toss in BMac, had mongrel. I'm hoping we see a more aggressive North side this year.
A few players tackled by Dish might argue - pressure for a big guy was one of his strengths, no matter how nice a person - but overall I agree the new team could lift that rating and surprise a few.

Anyway, very pleased by the genuine good will from Dogs supporters on this thread. Suggests Hrovat is a good citizen as well as a handy player.

A few players tackled by Dish might argue - pressure for a big guy was one of his strengths, no matter how nice a person - but overall I agree the new team could lift that rating and surprise a few.

Anyway, very pleased by the genuine good will from Dogs supporters on this thread. Suggests Hrovat is a good citizen as well as a handy player.
Yep, fair point about Dish. His defensive game was part of what made him such a good forward. It was the Mr Nice Guy sense that I was drawing on.

And re. the Doggies supporters, its all rainbows and daffodils with them it seems as the premiership honeymoon lingers on. Might have to wait for Good Friday for the bloodsport between the North and Dog boards to restart, especially if the Rat runs amok. Ahhhh, the pre-season.

Dish was good if the bloke was standing next to him, but I reckon my 90 year old nan could chase faster, he's really lost his speed.

Yep, fair point about Dish. His defensive game was part of what made him such a good forward. It was the Mr Nice Guy sense that I was drawing on.

And re. the Doggies supporters, its all rainbows and daffodils with them it seems as the premiership honeymoon lingers on. Might have to wait for Good Friday for the bloodsport between the North and Dog boards to restart, especially if the Rat runs amok. Ahhhh, the pre-season.

Nahhh Hrovat was well liked. It's a bit different when a fringe player leaves for greater opportunities than when a best 22 player leaves for more money. Hrovats been a little unlucky with his career so far and deserves a good run at it.

Nahhh Hrovat was well liked. It's a bit different when a fringe player leaves for greater opportunities than when a best 22 player leaves for more money. Hrovats been a little unlucky with his career so far and deserves a good run at it.
He was mighty impressive at our praccy on Saturday. And there was a lot of chatter about him at Arden St during his draft year, so very happy to have him at the club. Just a little concerned that after being a little unlucky with injury with you guys, he has come to the club of the never-ending 2-week injury.

Must say, I have this longing for us to end up higher on the ladder than the Bullies on top of a breakout year from Hrovat just because of that trade. And yes, I need to work on my priorities in life...

It could happen. After last year I wouldn't really be writing anything off from happening.

He should improve you guys more than he'd improve our list either way. Just stuck behind too many similar guys at our club.

Nathan has a great opportunity in 2017. With the likes of Garner, Anderson etc injury plagued, he will be given a full season at AFL level to develop. You can tell that he is hungry and wants it. It's the desire that Wood and Ziebell both have, and why I believe he will be a good player for us. That desire isn't something that can be taught.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back