Past #8: Nathan Hrovat - won't be offered a new contract - thanks Rat

Remove this Banner Ad

Same here. I would usually go to battle for any North player, but Hrovat is seriously s**t. I'd be disappointed if he is regularly selected next year.
If Hrovat is best 22 next season, our list turnover has been a massive failure. We should be trading him to Carlton etc for a 4th pick.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

If we ever needed to see the 'mob mentality' of BF on full display, I think it's the current hating on 'The Rat'. If I hadn't seen the guy play, I'd have to conclude he's Ash Watson levels of unworthy of a list spot. (Sorry Ash.) While the sentiment is extreme and, to my mind, unnecessary, the analysis strikes me as lazy.

First of all, let's dispel the notion that he's 'best 22' which seems to give rise to judgements as to him being 'undeserving' of a list spot. Even if he was seen that way coming into 2018, despite injury, he only played 12 games in 2018, and was listed as an 'emergency' a few times. It seems reasonable to conclude he's hardly a 'best 22' player, but more depth or fringe at best, and it would take a brave person to suggest he'd be a walk-up start next year, particularly with the recruits we've got coming in. Besides, if 2018 and Jed Anderson taught us anything, it's not to be too hasty about judging what a player is truly capable of.

If Nathan becomes 'technically' the worst player on our list in 2019, which I'm not convinced he necessarily would be, he's still a good example of 'handy depth' which all good teams rely on. I recall that the ex West Coast Eagle Chairman, Neale Fong, who was also the Director-General of WA Health Department was said to be (read: accused of being) the highest paid public servant in Australia at one time. The retort from one of his supporters, was 'Well, someone has to be!' So it is with the 'worst player on the list'. If he is, then I think it means we're in a good place.

While I had higher hopes for him when he first came across to NMFC than what has manifested so far, he's hardly deserving of the bad press being heaped on him here in my humble opinion. The guy seems like a 'solid citizen', with a professional attitude to training and to doing the team things, on and off the field. He seems to embody a positive esprit de corps that helps create an enjoyable and upbeat culture which, let's face it, we like to spruik about when it comes to the NMFC. Like others, there are one or two players that have been delisted whose ceiling and potential I rate higher - bye Dec :( - but one can't begrudge Nathan for being someone with a chair when the music stopped. He's under contract and, to mix a metaphor, that's the way the cookie has crumbled. Equally, he may not have the upside of the likes of Clarke and Preuss, but in the context of list management strategy, their value seems to be on the trade table.

So, rather than joining in the chorus of hate in this instance, I'm in his corner. Despite his imposingly short stature it seems he won't end up in Boomer's league when it comes to quality, but he's at the very least a industrious, honest and reliable player who the coaches will know what output they'll get when he takes the field. Just as Dec was rumoured to 'not do the team things', I have little doubt Nathan does. He also doesn't seem to pout if he's not in the side which is invaluable for team spirit if he ends up playing more VFL than AFL. If he's in the senior side, I can well imagine that he, like others we've speculated about, will only do better with even more quality teammates around him.

If we ever needed to see the 'mob mentality' of BF on full display, I think it's the current hating on 'The Rat'.

Call them for what they are...........miserable s**t campaigners

We have a resident posse of pessimism junkies, and that's all there is to it.

We could be signing the 6 best players in the competition right at this moment but they would prefer to be either bagging out one of the WBP, or creating anguish for themselves about some young player that isn't getting a game.

They are literally addicted to this stuff.

If we ever needed to see the 'mob mentality' of BF on full display, I think it's the current hating on 'The Rat'. If I hadn't seen the guy play, I'd have to conclude he's Ash Watson levels of unworthy of a list spot. (Sorry Ash.) While the sentiment is extreme and, to my mind, unnecessary, the analysis strikes me as lazy.

First of all, let's dispel the notion that he's 'best 22' which seems to give rise to judgements as to him being 'undeserving' of a list spot. Even if he was seen that way coming into 2018, despite injury, he only played 12 games in 2018, and was listed as an 'emergency' a few times. It seems reasonable to conclude he's hardly a 'best 22' player, but more depth or fringe at best, and it would take a brave person to suggest he'd be a walk-up start next year, particularly with the recruits we've got coming in. Besides, if 2018 and Jed Anderson taught us anything, it's not to be too hasty about judging what a player is truly capable of.

If Nathan becomes 'technically' the worst player on our list in 2019, which I'm not convinced he necessarily would be, he's still a good example of 'handy depth' which all good teams rely on. I recall that the ex West Coast Eagle Chairman, Neale Fong, who was also the Director-General of WA Health Department was said to be (read: accused of being) the highest paid public servant in Australia at one time. The retort from one of his supporters, was 'Well, someone has to be!' So it is with the 'worst player on the list'. If he is, then I think it means we're in a good place.

While I had higher hopes for him when he first came across to NMFC than what has manifested so far, he's hardly deserving of the bad press being heaped on him here in my humble opinion. The guy seems like a 'solid citizen', with a professional attitude to training and to doing the team things, on and off the field. He seems to embody a positive esprit de corps that helps create an enjoyable and upbeat culture which, let's face it, we like to spruik about when it comes to the NMFC. Like others, there are one or two players that have been delisted whose ceiling and potential I rate higher - bye Dec :( - but one can't begrudge Nathan for being someone with a chair when the music stopped. He's under contract and, to mix a metaphor, that's the way the cookie has crumbled. Equally, he may not have the upside of the likes of Clarke and Preuss, but in the context of list management strategy, their value seems to be on the trade table.

So, rather than joining in the chorus of hate in this instance, I'm in his corner. Despite his imposingly short stature it seems he won't end up in Boomer's league when it comes to quality, but he's at the very least a industrious, honest and reliable player who the coaches will know what output they'll get when he takes the field. Just as Dec was rumoured to 'not do the team things', I have little doubt Nathan does. He also doesn't seem to pout if he's not in the side which is invaluable for team spirit if he ends up playing more VFL than AFL. If he's in the senior side, I can well imagine that he, like others we've speculated about, will only do better with even more quality teammates around him.

Unfortunately Kimbo the "Well someone has to be" player on our list at the moment is Hrovat. If it wasn't him it would no doubt be someone else. It's the same at every club. Everyone has a scapegoat. It sucks and it's cheap. I'll crack the shits at the footy and on tv when a player mucks up but it's only temporary, a spur of the moment type anger. Me, I don't think he's that bad. Worth a spot on the list as a depth player. Nahas was a similar type depth player and played some very good footy for us. He's only 23-24??? so he's well worth keeping for another couple of seasons.

Unfortunately Kimbo the "Well someone has to be" player on our list at the moment is Hrovat. If it wasn't him it would no doubt be someone else. It's the same at every club. Everyone has a scapegoat. It sucks and it's cheap. I'll crack the shits at the footy and on tv when a player mucks up but it's only temporary, a spur of the moment type anger. Me, I don't think he's that bad. Worth a spot on the list as a depth player. Nahas was a similar type depth player and played some very good footy for us. He's only 23-24??? so he's well worth keeping for another couple of seasons.
While I hold a different assessment about who might be the 'worst on our list' - who is furthest away from meeting their potential and who offers the least to our team right now based on output - my point is that even if it was Nathan, it doesn't have to lead to scorn, or scapegoating or unnecessary, mindless potting. One doesn't have to lead to the other.

In the meantime, may Nathan have a Hrovating awesome 2019 and lead to new waves of contrition across the BF-sphere.

While I hold a different assessment about who might be the 'worst on our list' - who is furthest away from meeting their potential and who offers the least to our team right now based on output - my point is that even if it was Nathan, it doesn't have to lead to scorn, or scapegoating or unnecessary, mindless potting. One doesn't have to lead to the other.

In the meantime, may Nathan have a Hrovating awesome 2019 and lead to new waves of contrition across the BF-sphere.
It will become a Hrovatsphere.

pretty much agree with kimbos summary so wont really add much regarding the rat, as for nahas though i thought he was excellent, who can forget the passion and effort he bought with him in his short period with us,
AFL+Rd+21+North+Melbourne+v+Frementle+HAFg53YzbaQl.jpg

He could still be an ok player - he was solid when he first came across. I don't rate him (he can do neat little dinky kicks and is clean enough when he does have the ball but that is about it as far as I can tell) indeed no-one much seems to, but for all the time on here none of us are professionals eh.
See: Anderson, Daw, Dumont, Tarrant, Wright, Cunnington etc etc.
See also: Ayden Kennedy, Harper, Bastinac, Mountford etc etc. Will be hilarious if he and McDonald have really good years next year.
As Kimbo said above, he's still a North player. Back him in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure he gets much game time with who we have brought in.

However, with his neat skills & decision making he is decent depth.
Yeah, decent depth is about where he is sadly.

Over his last 6 games he averaged about 15 disposals, 3.5 tackles and a goal a game. which is decent but not outstanding for his role. Only 3 goal assists in that stretch, which is not where he needs to be for his attributes and role. Zero multi-goal games for the season.

I remain convinced that the lack of penetration in his kicking is his fatal flaw. He can't kick his way out of trouble, has to pinpoint his ball use through a press, and isn't a threat to score beyond about 40m. And that shows up in his DE% and metres gained compared with say an Atley.

On the other hand, he knows the system and does his best to play his role within it.

Over his last 6 games he averaged about 15 disposals, 3.5 tackles and a goal a game. which is decent but not outstanding for his role. Only 3 goal assists in that stretch, which is not where he needs to be for his attributes and role. Zero multi-goal games for the season.

I remain convinced that the lack of penetration in his kicking is his fatal flaw. He can't kick his way out of trouble, has to pinpoint his ball use through a press, and isn't a threat to score beyond about 40m. And that shows up in his DE% and metres gained compared with say an Atley.

On the other hand, he knows the system and does his best to play his role within it.

Good post.

I’ll add something else onto this

In juniors when he was playing predominantly in the midfield, he used his speed to create space and make up for his lack of kicking distance. This is the reason why he so often got compared to Boomer in his draft year. He would zip around and open up the play with a little burst away from the contest.

At AFL level he has really not been up to the task of spreading the game open with his leg speed. He really just never looks to play on and use his leg speed. I’m not sure why that is? Maybe he isn’t as quick anymore now that he has a bit of bulk?

If he could add to that part of his game, he could still have an impact like Patch Adams did when he had form early in his career.

Can't do too much assisting when you are constantly chasing tail mate.

We could be signing the 6 best players in the competition right at this moment but they would prefer to be either bagging out one of the WBP, or creating anguish for themselves about some young player that isn't getting a game.

Yes.... if only they had Nathan's joi de vivre....

Daw , anyone?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Anyone that would compare Hrovat's situation with Daw's, has the football intelligence of plankton.
Hrovat is a battler. I have seen nothing from him that would suggest he is going to make it as a regular best 22. There is a spot for him there I believe if he was to prove me wrong. I agree with you Snake in that Daw was given an inordinate amount of time to prove himself, but kudos to the match committee for sticking fat. They obviously saw something many of us didn't. Myself and yourself included

For mine, he just has too many liabilities in modern AFL.

He is short , isn’t that quick, not strong and is a liability defensively imo. If we were ditching Boomer for not having a 2 way game, then Hrovat shouldn’t be playing.

It’s a shame because he is quite a smart player and reliable by foot.

He is good enough to be on a list just , but we should have been shopping him off to Carlton or GC with the carrot of a guaranteed game for a pick 50 something, maybe higher at GC.

I went to a couple of VFL games where Nathan played and his hunger and effort to get to contests really stood out. I can see why he is given a game as he would make it hard for the coaches to deny him based on doing the required work. If nothing else it should be a good lesson for the VFL boys trying to break into the 22.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back