Past #8: Nathan Hrovat - won't be offered a new contract - thanks Rat

Remove this Banner Ad

Got stuck in dead man's corner.

As usual, he'll cop 10 times more flack than he deserves.

LOL, look at all the whining posts already. FFS, if he's at the top of your hit list, you people don't have a clue.

I’m not trying to be facetious Snake, how do you see him? I genuinely am not seeing his role in this team. He’s being played as a small forward without any above average small forward attributes.

I’m not trying to be facetious Snake, how do you see him? I genuinely am not seeing his role in this team. He’s being played as a small forward without any above average small forward attributes.

I agree with you.

Plays on the wing in the VFL and looks a different player.

As it stands, playing as a defensive forward in the AFL, I doubt he will get there. He isn't slow, but doesn't have that extra burst of speed required to break in to space, isn't a long kick and he's not strong either. It would be good if they gave him a month on the wing in order to see what he could do there. Still, it was only his first game, and as the game went on he looked better.

I agree with you.

Plays on the wing in the VFL and looks a different player.

As it stands, playing as a defensive forward in the AFL, I doubt he will get there. He isn't slow, but doesn't have that extra burst of speed required to break in to space, isn't a long kick and he's not strong either. It would be good if they gave him a month on the wing in order to see what he could do there. Still, it was only his first game, and as the game went on he looked better.

I don’t think he has a month to prove himself unfortunately. I would almost suggest he moves to half-back like Caleb Daniel.

I don’t think he has a month to prove himself unfortunately. I would almost suggest he moves to half-back like Caleb Daniel.

Maybe not. He looks like he may fall just short of the mark. A small bloke that was not quite quick enough.

Defensve forward is killing him, I know that much.

Just to get people thinking: do people similarly think Turner ought to have his papers stamped?

One year's difference between them. One game's difference between them.

Over his career I think Hrovat has had at least a few more memorable games (whether at WB or North), than KT.

This isn't me having a go at Kayne, but people seem to be expecting midfield influence type of game from a guy who is playing in the forward pocket.

Chalk and cheese.

One is a small forward, the other isn't.

I know. We know this. But I would argue that (for some idiotic reason) they've been playing in the same position.

Despite Nathan having previously put up much better numbers than Kayne, playing in that same position, one is considered 'done, VFL standard' and the other seems to be a lock.

I know. We know this. But I would argue that (for some idiotic reason) they've been playing in the same position.

Despite Nathan having previously put up much better numbers than Kayne, playing in that same position, one is considered 'done, VFL standard' and the other seems to be a lock.

Nah, nah, nah mate. You're barking up the wrong tree if you're using Kayne as a bullet proof vest for Nathan. Kayne has similar pace & kick, much stronger in the contest, better mark, better tackler.

Nah, nah, nah mate. You're barking up the wrong tree if you're using Kayne as a bullet proof vest for Nathan.

That's not what I'm trying to do. I noted up above - Nathan was pretty ordinary last night. Kayne hasn't gone without criticism, plenty have had a go at him. Very few seem to be considering KT's ability to play at AFL level, while - despite in my opinion NH having more impactful games playing in virtually the same position for most of their careers - KT's position on our list doesn't seem to be in doubt.

Just saw your edit. I'd actually say Kayne's quicker but NH a better kick - but that's beyond the point I'm trying to make.

Similar ages. Similar games played. We can talk about those little attributes all we want - but NH gets sighted a lot more, playing the same role as KT. One is considered a lock (I'm not sure he should be, but I like his role in our side) and the other considered cooked. It's getting toward the over the top criticism and trying to ground them in a bit of reality.

Last edited:
Just to get people thinking: do people similarly think Turner ought to have his papers stamped?

One year's difference between them. One game's difference between them.

Over his career I think Hrovat has had at least a few more memorable games (whether at WB or North), than KT.

This isn't me having a go at Kayne, but people seem to be expecting midfield influence type of game from a guy who is playing in the forward pocket.

KT brings manic pressure. If we ever make finals again he'll help us win them.

KT brings manic pressure. If we ever make finals again he'll help us win them.

Wait until we get a decent functioning midfield. Then he will really impact.

Similar ages. Similar games played. We can talk about those little attributes all we want - but NH gets sighted a lot more, playing the same role as KT. One is considered a lock (I'm not sure he should be, but I like his role in our side) and the other considered cooked. It's getting toward the over the top criticism and trying to ground them in a bit of reality.

I see KT all the time. Do you mean NH has more possessions? Or is visible outside contests more? If you want to see Kayne look for the barely visible north jumper under about 4 opposition ones competing for the ball and it'll probably be him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FWIW, I'm finding it really difficult to make judgement calls on players at either end of the ground with the way our midfield is going.

That's a pretty smart piece of reasoning mb.

I reckon the back line has been good (except for round 1). The forwards aren't functioning well, but that's part their issue, part the midfield issue, and all the coaches issue.

What the hell does Hrovat bring to the table? And to think we pink-slipped Boomer and then brought this guy to the club. Another master stroke in list management!!!!!
Surely Ahern plays before Hrovat????

Ironically, Brent helped train Nathan in 2011 and AFAIK the two stayed close.

What the hell does Hrovat bring to the table? And to think we pink-slipped Boomer and then brought this guy to the club. Another master stroke in list management!!!!!
Surely Ahern plays before Hrovat????
Boomer now, like today, like this minute is a better player than Hrovat. Scotts hang your head in shame. :stern look

Defensve forward is killing him, I know that much.
If we are fair dinkum, is "defensive forward" a real thing?

Sure, when the oppo have the ball then man up and hold it in your 50 for all you are worth, but how good would it be if we had attacking forwards who were capable of kicking one or two goals most weeks and even the odd handful on their day by hunting the packs and launching on the spilled marks.

If you’ve got a 24 year old depth player on the list you have to play him in his natural spot. Otherwise, he shouldn’t have a contract.

If we are fair dinkum, is "defensive forward" a real thing?

Sure, when the oppo have the ball then man up and hold it in your 50 for all you are worth, but how good would it be if we had attacking forwards who were capable of kicking one or two goals most weeks and even the odd handful on their day by hunting the packs and launching on the spilled marks.

It is with our coach.

How often do you see blokes at the drop of Brown?

Scott coaches to negate the spread and run. He's in damage control before we get out the gates.

He has to play as a small forward because he isn’t good enough to play midfield at AFL level.

He isn’t quick enough to break from a centre clearance, he isn’t strong enough to win the contested ball and under AFL pressure he isn’t clean enough.

We have to accept VFL is his level and his time is up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back