Past #8: Nathan Hrovat - won't be offered a new contract - thanks Rat

Remove this Banner Ad

Vs essendon he was fine and i backed him in bit he was bad last night. Especially disappointing is the fact that ldu is playing vfl

Tries hard but just isn’t an AFL footballer. Slow, doesn’t find the footy, doesn’t kick goals, doesn’t tackle, can’t kick further than 30m and always seems to take the short 15m safe chip kicks, never once seen him take the game on. He’s also as short as Boomer. Sorry Rat but you’re cooked.

Feel for him. Speaks and conducts himself like an absolute professional, the sort of guy you want on your list.

Am glad he's had a bit of senior opportunity both to reward his VFL form and also satisfy both Nathan and the club that he wrung something out of his last chance.

Life's a bit unfair, he runs hard but isn't fast. He puts his head over it but his touch is a bit clumsy. He tries to apply pressure but is brushed aside a bit easily. Good disposal skills but can't get into attacking range often enough at the pace of AFL.

If he just had that one extra weapon - a Daniel Rich grade of kick, a Puopolo leap, Boomer pace and evasion or Jack Viney hardness - for his size then it'd probably the tip the balance but unfortunately that's not the case.

I thought he was alright the last two weeks. Some nice delivery inside forward 50. Almost Wells or Harvey like, actually.

Haven't checked the stats, maybe he didn't get enough of the pill, is that why people are complaining?
He gets pushed out of the way too easily, isn't strong enough to lay a tackle that would actually stop someone and his ball use is just OK. Doesn't suit our style of play at all IMO. Perhaps some teams could afford to carry a player of his type, but I don't think we can.

The question is who do you take out of the midfield to give him a go?

Of our current midfielders, who do you think he would be better than?

We have players in Ahern and LDU who also are potential midfielders.

I just can see where he is in the pecking order.

Unfortunately for him, he isn’t equipped to be a small forward and he isn’t high on the list for midfield minutes.

Poor recruitment and poor player management.
Wasnt really poor recruiting imo. Litterally cost us nothing. Has a fair crack but just really hasnt came on much. Was well worth a look. He is a poor mans daniel/lonie. Reasonable depth player. I doubt hes on the kings ransom either.

Wasnt really poor recruiting imo. Litterally cost us nothing. Has a fair crack but just really hasnt came on much. Was well worth a look. He is a poor mans daniel/lonie. Reasonable depth player. I doubt hes on the kings ransom either.
I hate this "cost us nothing" argument. I'd play for NM for free but that doesn't mean it's a good idea to have me on our list. He's too slow for a guy his size. We moved Boomer Harvey on and gave Hrovat a spot. Who would've provided better value???

I hate this "cost us nothing" argument. I'd play for NM for free but that doesn't mean it's a good idea to have me on our list. He's too slow for a guy his size. We moved Boomer Harvey on and gave Hrovat a spot. Who would've provided better value???
i would say the rat last weekend as boomer is 41 now, and its not like there are a plethoura of talented players available to just pluck out of the air. you have to pad the list with someone. until we recruit better players to oust him from the list he is a reasonable depth player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Michael Gibbons was pigeon holed as a forward by Bolton before Teague moved him into his natural position as a midfielder. Both his and the clubs fortunes have turned around instantaneous.

Play him in the middle. Give him 70% game time in the guts and let’s see if he’s worth persisting with. He deserves it.

- Atley looked like he's still affected by the knee
- Taylor on the bench is a luxury in a side with an under performing midfield
- Jy has gone off the boil again and needs another re-tune.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back