Autopsy 82 Tackles laid against Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

I wonder how many tackles the defences of other clubs laid?

Our tackle count looks low there although the pace that Adelaide took it in, makes it hard to lay many tackles.

Maybe we need to look at moving one of our midflelders (the skipper) back into defence and replace him with Atley up onto a wing/midfield.

(And that may well be the most stupid idea ever floated here so go easy.)
We don't know without heat maps of actual positions on the field of tackles. There could well be lots of tackles by midfielders in the defensive 50 at stoppages for example.

However, when you think of the roles in the gameplan of what happens in your defensive vs forward 50, the role of the defenders is to intercept or force a contest, mop up and rebound. Nobody's trying to lock the ball in their defensive 50, so there's not the same type of motivation to tackle as there is in the forward 50. And forcing stoppages and turnovers in your forward 50 looks to be a KPI for successful sides.

I'll try and do some comparisons when I have more time.

West Horsham is a very good alternative to Adelaide. But on the other hand I quite like Horsham so its a bit unfair on that city. Once worked there for a couple of weeks.

I prefer to think of Adelaide as the "Clean Drinking Water Capital of Australia".

Of the world !! shipping do not refill their drinking supplies in 2 places of the world >> one of them is Adelaide the other is Mumbai.

The tackling this week should be the standard. It was noticeable on the coverage. Although we were down I was sitting there thinking we were there in hunting the man. Crazy that it went up a level after that. Having these extra gears is necessary

I was just curious where the number sits in relation to the rest of the AFL.

Things may have changed,but in 2013 I went to a business conference where Paul Roos was the guest speaker. He said that the key KPI for his Swans was tackles and that over his time coaching, if they had more than 80 they pretty much won the game every time.

I'll try and do some comparisons when I have more time.
Geelong/Hawthorn was close to our game in scores, possessions and tackle counts.
The Geelong back 6 as named:

Taylor 1
Lonergan 5
Mackie 4
Guthrie 2
Henderson 4
Enright 6

Total 22

Hawthorn back 6 as named:

Stratton 2
Frawley 2
Hodge 5
Burgoyne 5
Gibson 4
Duryea 3

Total 21

So yeah, maybe 9 from our back 6 is a little on the low side. Consistent with how many times the Crows waltzed in to open goals? For Hawthorn at least, Hodge and Burgoyne spend a fair bit of time up the ground.

This is a great idea.

Separating Ziebell, Cunnington and Swallow on the field is precisely what we need to do.

I used to agree with that as they lack acceleration/seperation and often fight for the same ball, but would prefer we wait until how Wells settles back in first.

We should be more dynamic with his inclusion and may be a better mix this year.

Geelong/Hawthorn was close to our game in scores, possessions and tackle counts.
The Geelong back 6 as named:

Taylor 1
Lonergan 5
Mackie 4
Guthrie 2
Henderson 4
Enright 6

Total 22

Hawthorn back 6 as named:

Stratton 2
Frawley 2
Hodge 5
Burgoyne 5
Gibson 4
Duryea 3

Total 21

So yeah, maybe 9 from our back 6 is a little on the low side. Consistent with how many times the Crows waltzed in to open goals? For Hawthorn at least, Hodge and Burgoyne spend a fair bit of time up the ground.
Zac Smith's tackling pressure was immense

I want to see us tackling like that all season - it's what set up the win on Saturday.

Agreed. I might be wrong or not able to prove it in results, but I think our tackling is a massive indicator if we are 'switched on' on not, as seemingly our terrible losses we don't seem to bring 'it'....we are older now though.

Reminded me of the 90s steamrolling their players with consistent solid hits to wrestle back the game :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our tackle count looks low there although the pace that Adelaide took it in, makes it hard to lay many tackles.

Maybe we need to look at moving one of our midflelders (the skipper) back into defence and replace him with Atley up onto a wing/midfield.

Don't you worry about that Horace. There have been, are and will be much more stupid comments posted here before the end of the season.

It was almost a universal trend to see entire teams pressing high up the ground causing a lot of rebound goals over the top unchallenged. I wouldn't be at all surprised if all forward lines' tackle stats were down, bar sides like Sydney who played most of the game in their own half in the usual tightly congested confines they thrive in.

The thought of Swallow sending out one of his awe-inspiring, 30 metre, high, short-of-the-target floaters from the defensive 50 fills me with horror.

Sheer horror.

Last edited:
That ferocity against Adelaide on Saturday night was something out of the 90s.
Never seen us that hungry when we played pretty average footy for parts of the night.

This is where the pressure came from

Forwards - 22
Waite - 6
Garner - 5
Petrie - 4
Thomas - 3
Brown - 2
Harvey - 2
Anderson - 0

Mids - 52
Swallow - 10
Higgins - 9
Cunnington - 7
Goldstein - 7
Wells - 7
Gibson - 6
Ziebell - 4
Dal Santo - 2

Defenders - 8
McDonald - 2
Tarrant - 2
Atley - 1
Firrito - 1
MacMillan - 1
Thompson - 1
Wright - 0

Looking closely at that it reminds me how great Swallow and Higgins work was considering they didnt get near the ball as much as they can.
10 tackles between our CHF and FF is outstanding. We are really lucky here.
Wells covered the ground so well. He really is the difference between Grand Final Day and falling short.
8 tackles from our defenders is poor. Dont care how we set up but it shows once the ball goes to ground inside 50 we apply minimal pressure. Real concern.
This is what it took to win a round 1 game under Scott.
We are a light years away from this sort of effort.
I just don’t understand how pressure isn’t a non negotiable.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back