Movie 84th Academy Awards

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 26, 2008
Fight Club
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
76ers, Storm, Broad St.
Scrolling through the nominations today, and I'm thinking was 2011 really that bad? And then remember Drive and Shame and they aren't even nominated for Best Picture!

*Sigh*

Only been compelled to see 5 of the 9 Best Picture noms (still don't get why they don't stick with just 5), and can't say that there's one in particular that stands out as being Best Picture winner calibre. It's probably the Artist, which I liked perfectly well, but didn't do much else for me. The Tree of Life probably fills that bill for me as being Best Picture calibre but I'm still unsure as to how I feel about the movie as a whole...

More invested in seeing A Separation take out best foreign film, which was the best film I saw for 2011. Would be ok with Bullhead too which beats out most of the best picture films.

Nominations for main awards:

Best Picture
The Artist
The Descendants
Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close
The Help
Hugo
Midnight in Paris
Moneyball
The Tree of Life
Warhorse

Actor in a Leading Role
Demian Bichir - A Better Life
George Clooney - The Descendants
Jean Dujardin - The Artist
Gary Oldman - Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy
Brad Pitt - Moneyball

Actress in a Leading Role
Glenn Close - Albert Nobbs
Viola Davis - The Help
Rooney Mara - The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
Meryl Streep - The Iron Lady
Michelle Williams - My Week with Marilyn

Actor in a Supporting Role
Kenneth Branagh - My Week with Marilyn
Jonah Hill - Moneyball
Nick Nolte - Warrior
Christopher Plummer - Beginners
Max von Sydow - Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close

Actress in a Supporting Role
Bérénice Bejo - The Artist
Jessica Chastain - The Help
Melissa McCarthy - Bridesmaids
Janet McTeer - Albert Nobbs
Octavia Spencer - The Help

Directing
Michael Hazanavicius - The Artist
Alexander Payne - The Descendants
Martin Scorsese - Hugo
Woody Allen - Midnight in Paris
Terrance Malick - The Tree of Life

Foreign Film
Belgium - Bullhead
Canada - Monsieur Lazhar
Iran - A Separation
Israel - Footnote
Poland - In Darkness

Full List

Billy Crystal hosting...yeah don't really care, will probably be tune into the Dumb and Dumber saga.

I am still interested this year - Crystal makes it watchable, safe option and doesn't fail. Anything will beat the terrible double act of last year. It would be nice for the media to spend more time on the actual awards than the fashion (boring!.....)

As for the awards itself, it looks like the Artist will sweep all before it. Not sure if it is that good but the reviews are good. Every couple of years they like a movie that is not 'mainstream'.

It looks like Meryl Streep's losing streak will continue.....

Looking at the odds, I can't remember a year where basically all of the main categories are at very short odds to win.

Takes the suspense out of the awards, but heck, everyone in the know always knows who's going to win anyway, so why shouldn't we.:cool:

Looking at the odds, I can't remember a year where basically all of the main categories are at very short odds to win.

Takes the suspense out of the awards, but heck, everyone in the know always knows who's going to win anyway, so why shouldn't we.:cool:
Could've got amazing odds only a couple weeks back, just before the SAGs and BAFTAs.

I got on

Davis @ 4.33 for Best Actress (won SAG two days later and came into even money with Streep)

Dujardin @ 3.25 for Best Actor (same as above)

As much as I love Tree of Life and think that Lubezki's work on the film is easily the best work in Cinematography this year, there is too much talk of Hugo sweeping up the technical categories, so just now jumped on Hugo @ 3.20 as a decent value bet.

There are still a few categories where a major film can cause an upset.

The Artist @ 4.00 for Best Original Screenplay is a shot, just because it is the best film of the year.

The Artist @ 2.37 (taking all prices from B365 atm btw, so could shop for better) for Best Costume design isn't a bad bet at all.

Also, ones like Costume Design are those types of categories where they like to reward smaller films. I put a small amount of Jane Eyre to win @ 8.50 over Hugo and The Artist.

Hugo for Cinematography and Art Direction. Pretty much a given in my book. Well deserved. :thumbsu:

Far and away the best of the year.

Costume Design - The Artist.

I agreed with sblack but the Artist was amazingly beautiful.

Makeup - The Iron Lady

I like this choice. Did a great job of makeup creating Margaret Thatcher from Meryl. :thumbsu:

Foreign Film - A Separation

Supporting Actress - Octavia Spencer (The Help) :thumbsu:

Film Editing: Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (same team won for the Social Network last year)

Sound editing and sound mixing (two awards): Hugo

Best Documentaries, Features: Undefeated

Animated Feature: Rango

Visual Effects: Hugo

Supporting Actor: Christopher Plummer (Beginners) :thumbsu:

Best Achievement in Music Written for Motion Pictures, Original Score: The Artist

Original Song: Bret McKenzie (the Muppets) -- A New Zealander wins an Academy Award :thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

Best Writing, Screenplay Based on Material Previously Produced or Published: The Descendants

Best Writing, Screenplay Written Directly for the Screen: Woody Allen, Midnight in Paris

Best Short Film, Live Action: The Shore

Best Documentary, Short Features: Saving Face

Best Animated Short Film: Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore

Best Director: Michel Hazanavicius for The Artist

Best Actor: Jean Dujardin for The Artist proving anyone who has two words in a movie can get the best actor award (no, seriously, brilliance) or in reality that it takes more than words to act. :thumbsu:

Best Actress: Meryl Streep for The Iron Lady. Greatest actress ever.

Best Picture: The Artist

Hugo cleaning up these Technical awards as expected.

Big upset in Film Editing though ... The Artist was not meant to lose that, especially to TGWADT

and so stoked that Christopher Plummer finally won an Oscar :D

This. He's been my favourite actor for years. I was almost in tears seeing him get an Oscar.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Way to go Bret McKenzie for winning the Academy Award for Original song. :thumbsu:

[youtube]O0zpxC6O7nE[/youtube]

This might sound corny but its like one of your mates winning an Oscar or something - so great that he won it

Streep just did a straight impersonation. A better job is an actor who develops a character and makes it their own.

Crystal was terrible, so boring, same old jokes. Bring back Jon Stewart clearly the best host. Or give Gervais a go. Safe boring garbage.

Streep just did a straight impersonation. A better job is an actor who develops a character and makes it their own.

Crystal was terrible, so boring, same old jokes. Bring back Jon Stewart clearly the best host. Or give Gervais a go. Safe boring garbage.

Pity Franco and that women were so bad - they need a youth injection - give it to Dave Chappelle!

They had to pull in someone at basically the last second. Crystal makes sense in that regard.

Loved Crystal's comment after the Academy president had given a typically bland, droll speech:

"Thankyou for whipping the audience into a frenzy."

Definitely not the Crystal I expected, he seemed to hold back a lot. The producers always want to play safe, so Gervais would be out of the question. He'd be back again next year for the poor man's Oscars, I'd suspect.

Stewart? Yep. Colbert. Even better.

Billy was great it was good to have him back. As someone in the states said the oscars are about tradition and respect for hollywood royalty and Crystal fits this mould perfectly. Gervais is hilarious and perfect for the GGs but would be a horrible choice for the oscars.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back