89 grand final

Remove this Banner Ad

One thing I will always remember about that weekend was on the Monday I was fortunate to be with the players in the members bar at Glenferrie Oval. Even though it was 48 hours since the match, you could sense how much the game (and possibly post match) had taken out of the players, it was as though they still couldn't believe what had happened. They celebrated, but in a rather subdued fashion.

For those who can recall, they still had squash courts out the back, and for some reason I ventured out there and found a very tired and ill looking Dermott Brereton sitting alone. I asked if he was okay, he just smiled and said he was fine. That moment gave me an appreciation of exactly how brutal the game had been. It was an amazing win, and a pleasure to be there.

Oh, and the other part I recall so well was when Cameron kicked that goal and Geelong drew within 6 points, we were starting to wonder if we were going to win. There was a bounce and then a pack formed. I don't know how this person knew, but he stood up and yelled out, "There's only 10 seconds to go!!!". We began the countdown. I think we got to within 2 seconds when the siren sounded. Fantastic.

The only reason Geelong got close was they went out to play the man. That GF should be remembered as the toughest gladiators of them all were the 1989 Hawks.

I agree totally.
it’s funny though that the Hawks were renowned for “dishing it out”, but this time they copped all that physical stuff, fought through the injuries, and still won!

We were high up in the Northern Stand, and had no idea of how bad it was: Dermie was smashed at the first bounce but he played on, we just assumed he was fine. We didn’t even know John Platten was off the ground (thanks to Hocking), just thought he was having a quiet day.

We really should have thrashed those pretenders.

I agree totally.
it’s funny though that the Hawks were renowned for “dishing it out”, but this time they copped all that physical stuff, fought through the injuries, and still won!

We were high up in the Northern Stand, and had no idea of how bad it was: Dermie was smashed at the first bounce but he played on, we just assumed he was fine. We didn’t even know John Platten was off the ground (thanks to Hocking), just thought he was having a quiet day.

We really should have thrashed those pretenders.

Was a really tough match. Had to research a little bit, but here is a list of what injuries Hawks had:
Brereton - broken ribs and bruised kidney
Platten - concussion (played one quarter)
Dipper - broken ribs and punctured lung
Tuck - split webbing on hand
Ayers - Quad (missed final quarter)
Pritchard - smashed at first bounce after half time
Morrissey
Maginness

Curran??

I must have missed one because some reports state we only had 13 fit (?) players at the end.

EDIT: - my bad. In 1989 there were only 20 players. So I have include one in the list that wasn't so badly injured at the end. And I missed Morrissey (according to Hawk website)

And the way Blight spoke, he essentially instructed his players to do it. He still bleeds about losing. Tough ****. You reap what you sow.

Last edited:
We shouldnt under rate the 61 and 71 grand finals for toughness either

Or the gradual turnaround of fortunes 83-85

Or the giant felling audacity of 91 and 08

Or being the giants in 13-15 who were never going to lose despite every other media head trying to talk up the opponents chances (eg three different weather situations, all which would be bad for hawthorns game plan)
Those grand finals in a row 13 out of 16 quarters won werent even matched by the 80s hawks

Or being the giants in 13-15 who were never going to lose despite every other media head trying to talk up the opponents chances (eg three different weather situations, all which would be bad for hawthorns game plan)
Those grand finals in a row 13 out of 16 quarters won werent even matched by the 80s hawks
Can't argue with any of this.

Although I think 8 out of 9 GFs for 5 Flags (7 in a row for 4 flags) makes the 80 team something special.

20191029_092455.jpg

As mischievous 17 year old’s at the time, myself and a mate of mine were desperate to get into the rooms after the game. We didn’t want to be behind the barriers with all the other supporters so rather than entering the rooms from within the ground we took a punt on a more risky strategy. Security then wasn’t what it is now, so we waited the obligatory 15 minutes after the game for them to disappear and then went for it.

We jumped the fence near the Hawks race and walked down the race undetected. We came to the closed door at the end of the race… it was locked. So we knocked. We hear the lock turn and believe it or not Russell Greene peered out. We asked if we could come in and he asked “is it just the two of you” which it was. Come on in he said. We didn’t need a second invite.

What followed was some of the best minutes of my life, celebrating with the team, coaches, support staff etc... Unfortunately I didn’t have a camera but I did have my record and a pen so I managed to get a number of signatures as you can see above.

I tried to stop Derm on his way to the showers for an autograph (bloody rude I know). He was unbelievably polite and said he would do when he came out of the shower. Unfortunately he never came back out and I think we know why.

Amongst all the great memories this great club has given me, this one stands out. Thank you Hawthorn and thank you Russell Greene for doing what you did.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I remember Neville Bruns trying to snipe all day and thinking "it's OK when you do it but if it's Lethal Leigh than its an assault charge". Considering Dipper was hampered Bruns had little impact on the game other than being a scrub.
And why wasn't crapbag Hocking charged with breaking Lethal's nose. Must have never happened according to the police minister
and the police commissioner (both geelong supporters). Tresize actually played for geelong.

And why wasn't crapbag Hocking charged with breaking Lethal's nose. Must have never happened according to the police minister
and the police commissioner (both geelong supporters). Tresize actually played for geelong.
What he did was just as bad, blindsided Leigh with a swinging arm. Could have caused even more damage considering it concussed him as well. Leigh himself said he was expecting retribution but at least come at the guy front on.

Last time I watched this I ( earlier this year) I found myself getting all anxious and stressed regardless of obviously knowing the result haha. Amazing to think that over two games between them that year (rd6 and the g.f.) there were over 90 goals scored with a winning margin across both games of only 14 points.

Was at both of those '89 games, and strangely (or stupidly) I never felt in any danger of losing either. Even being 9 goals down at half-time in round 6 (?). Was just the mentality I had as a 13yo Hawk fan who had never known anything other than complete HFC dominance. Where we can and did come back from any margin or situation.

Was only years later I appreciated how good that comeback really was. And same with the GF, maybe it was the naivete of youth but I never even felt anxious in the last quarter.

Great stat (and post).

View attachment 771547

As mischievous 17 year old’s at the time, myself and a mate of mine were desperate to get into the rooms after the game. We didn’t want to be behind the barriers with all the other supporters so rather than entering the rooms from within the ground we took a punt on a more risky strategy. Security then wasn’t what it is now, so we waited the obligatory 15 minutes after the game for them to disappear and then went for it.

We jumped the fence near the Hawks race and walked down the race undetected. We came to the closed door at the end of the race… it was locked. So we knocked. We hear the lock turn and believe it or not Russell Greene peered out. We asked if we could come in and he asked “is it just the two of you” which it was. Come on in he said. We didn’t need a second invite.

What followed was some of the best minutes of my life, celebrating with the team, coaches, support staff etc... Unfortunately I didn’t have a camera but I did have my record and a pen so I managed to get a number of signatures as you can see above.

I tried to stop Derm on his way to the showers for an autograph (bloody rude I know). He was unbelievably polite and said he would do when he came out of the shower. Unfortunately he never came back out and I think we know why.

Amongst all the great memories this great club has given me, this one stands out. Thank you Hawthorn and thank you Russell Greene for doing what you did.

Russell Greene was a legend, and such a gentleman.

I still have the reply letter he sent me after the '84 Semi. Made my day for probably the next decade. No doubt what I had sent was a rambling piece of junk, but he took the time to read it and write out/send a reply. Completely fits with what I have learnt/heard abut the man since too.

Peter Hudson was the same. Saw him at training, at the Thursday night BBQ's and at the old Social Club afterwards from the early 80's onwards, and it was never too much trouble for him to stop and say g'day.

John Kennedy said if the '61 team ran out to play the '71 team the '71 team would have jumped the fence! So
how tough was the '61 premiership team? The '71 gf is still the toughest l've ever seen.

That's pretty amazing. I know far less about the '61 team, but my old man always said the '71 team (and GF) was as hard as hard gets.

I remember Neville Bruns trying to snipe all day and thinking "it's OK when you do it but if it's Lethal Leigh than its an assault charge". Considering Dipper was hampered Bruns had little impact on the game other than being a scrub.

I remember that too. Bruns was a little sh1tbag who gave out plenty but squealed like a pig when it was his turn.

View attachment 771547

Awesome post

I spoke to Russell Greene one night on the phone

I am good mates with David King, and shared a house with him from the time we left Assumption College til he got engaged

One night, Greene rang the house looking for Dave, who was out
After letting him know Dave’s whereabouts I sheepishly admitted just how big a Hawk supporter I was

Greeney chatted to me, a complete no-one, for nearly an hour, to my utter amazement

The single best phone call I’ve ever had, and that includes trying to chat to girls on the phone:p:p

There’s a reason why Geelong went 40 odd years without winning a flag. And there’s a reason they won 3 in 5 years..... dank you very much.

We denied them a threepeat while they were on the Dank juice, and then claimed a threepeat of our own. So there is some justice in this world. :)

On the subject of threepeat, Richmond actually missed out on one too. Being in a position to do one isnt rare. Actually doing one is

Remove this Banner Ad

Back