Roast 9.22

Remove this Banner Ad

Ant85

Premiership Player
Jun 27, 2008
AFL Club
Collingwood
Not the first time our inaccuracy has reared its ugly head this season, and unfortunately, I don't think it will be the last.

Today's game should have been well and truly over by quarter time.

We have 2 weeks to go to the drawing board and find a way to stem this problem.

There's no way we're winning a flag with a scoreline like that.

I think we have had more scoring shots in all bar 1 game this season. (Geelong loss the exception).

I could have seen Didak kicking 4 in that game, but I guess you have to cop these changes on the chin, Silvia could have easily popped up for a goal too.

BUT, what really, really pissed me off. The fact that we had about 3 set shots on goal inside the 50. Even on the TV you could see the space inside, front on with the goals. I mean, Leon, Brown and Cloke lead to one side, Medhurst, Dick and (I don't know...didnt even seem like we had a 6th forward...OH wait it was Fraser/Jolly? funny that) would lead to the other side!
The only time I saw someone lead to the space 30 m out straight in front was Lockyer in the last minute!!

Get your s**t together Mick, your game plan to kick it along the boundary is causing us these disgraceful scores.

Our structure broke down up forward, meaning that we weren't getting quality shots on goal.

I could have seen Didak kicking 4 in that game, but I guess you have to cop these changes on the chin, Silvia could have easily popped up for a goal too.

BUT, what really, really pissed me off. The fact that we had about 3 set shots on goal inside the 50. Even on the TV you could see the space inside, front on with the goals. I mean, Leon, Brown and Cloke lead to one side, Medhurst, Dick and (I don't know...didnt even seem like we had a 6th forward...OH wait it was Fraser/Jolly? funny that) would lead to the other side!
The only time I saw someone lead to the space 30 m out straight in front was Lockyer in the last minute!!

Get your s**t together Mick, your game plan to kick it along the boundary is causing us these disgraceful scores.

This was my take aswell on the 9.22

Didn't seem to miss that many sitters today. Just too many shots from too far out or on the boundary.

Jolly's kick to Lockyer in the last few minutes I think was the only kick with any direct, thoughtful intent onto the forward fifty all day.

ie in general, it was a reflection on the game plan today, rather than sprayed shots.

TBH my sadness today is not the wasted two points, it's a realisation that we will not beat the top sides without any semblance of a goal scoring plan / forward structure.

I could have seen Didak kicking 4 in that game

well Dick came in for him and kicked four so that cancels that out.

We need to stop blazing away from 50 and 55. Every time they had a shot I knew it was going to miss.

We're just lucky that on occasions the melbourne defenders canceled each other out leading to crumbs, because the long kick into leigh brown one on two doesn't work.

Just too many shots from the boundaries, although there was a few very, very gettable goals missed as well. Key forwards need to be shown video of a Podsiadly lead - straight down the middle.

Not the first time our inaccuracy has reared its ugly head this season, and unfortunately, I don't think it will be the last.

Ha Ha. What makes you think we can solve the problem in 2 weeks when nothing has been done to change it in the last few years?

In fact you should be asking if we can find an answer in the next 4 years because the current crop of forwards bar Dick (and Didak) won't help us improve. We will just get the same old s**t.

Boundary line football diminishes your chances to kick accurately. A team like Melb who are quick and have carved us up thru the middle of late ( including last year) means Malthouse makes sure we keep the ball out of the corridor even more so.

I also note that BT is now a kicking coach at Footscray. Who is our kicking coach since BT got his marching orders? Because this team above all others needs a kicking coach.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I also note that BT is now a kicking coach at Footscray. Who is our kicking coach since BT got his marching orders?

Hudson I believe. I think BT told the Pies what he thought about their lack of dedication to goal kicking training, and even if he didn't do it in person, he sure made his opinion clear on the radio numerous times. Apparently was lucky to get an hour a week without the training staff complaining about workloads!

Boundary line football diminishes your chances to kick accurately. A team like Melb who are quick and have carved us up thru the middle of late ( including last year) means Malthouse makes sure we keep the ball out of the corridor even more so.

I also note that BT is now a kicking coach at Footscray. Who is our kicking coach since BT got his marching orders? Because this team above all others needs a kicking coach.

Agree Going Wide makes it Harder for the Forwards and I don't know why the F**k we go wide into our Forward 50?

Hudson I believe. I think BT told the Pies what he thought about their lack of dedication to goal kicking training, and even if he didn't do it in person, he sure made his opinion clear on the radio numerous times. Apparently was lucky to get an hour a week without the training staff complaining about workloads!

You reap what you sew.

2 words .... Jack Anthony!!! I dont remember kicking scores like this when he was the spearhead. He is the straightest kick in our side so why is he in the VFL?

I dont subscribe to good form in VFL means good form in AFL or bad form in VFL means bad form in AFL!! Look at Dick! has been average at best for the last 2 games he's played in VFL yet kicks 4.1 in a team that without him kicked a total of 5.21

I say get him back in the seniors plonk him at FF and tell him to do what he does best and kick the flippin thing straight!!

Said it before, its costs us now 2 games and we'll lose many more unless the players are allowed to spend hours after hours fixing it.

Any human being knows that the gap between the big sticks is bigger when you're in front of goal yet we continue to have shots from out wide. I don't understand this.

Geelong play the corridor which gives Pods a set shot directly in front. And even though St Kilda play the boundary like us, they centre the ball inside 50 because their forwards lead up the middle.

Yet Cloke, Medhurst and whoever else is playing forward continue to lead into the pockets. What sort of a gameplan is that?

Who knows? But hope it is gone with the new coach.

The problem is also that sides can STROLL through the middle and score on a rebound with virtually no pressure. Melbourne hardly worked for a lot of their goals when going straight down the middle. Same reasons why the Lions won too.

It's been mentioned already the problem was less the kicking for goal and more where the shots where coming from. A majority of our shots where from play on situations. A large amount of them from wide. It's hard to kick accurately when your taking shots from wide under pressure.

I'm not one to bash MM, but this loss was all his IMHO. I've heard the spin that it's not Mick who coaches them to go slow along the boundary line, and if that's the case then he should start coaching them to take the game on more and use the corridor, and if they don't follow his instructions they should be dropped.

Quite a few players frustrated the hell out of me today, but on the whole "the cattle" were not the reason for our ineptitude up forward, our structure (or lack thereof) was.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back