Past #9: Andrew Swallow - 224 NM games - 3x Syds - captain '12-'16 - #43 '05 ND - thanks Spitta

Remove this Banner Ad

I haven't had the opportunity to sit down and properly thank Spitta for the incredible career and service that he's given our great club since coming over from Western Australia all those years ago.

If not for Andrew over the last decade continually smashing his body into contested ball over and over again, we would have been a much poorer club and undoubtedly, our win-loss ratio would have suffered considerably. Man could the boy tackle. His ability to clasp onto a player and stop him dead in his tracks has been unrivalled by any on our list, and most in the league, in the time that he's been wearing blue and white. Even last year when he returned from his sabbatical in the VFL he was our most consistent player at the coal face. Always knew what you were going to get. Yeah he could occasionally frustrate you with his disposal but he never let us down from want of trying.

One thing I want to mention, and it's bugged me enormously to this day (maybe it's only me) is my memory of the game where we played Hawthorn and Jordan Lewis king-hit Goldstein. In the same game, as I'm sure any North supporter worth their salt would remember a scuffle broke out involving a number of players. Spitta had walked up to Hodge from behind to pull him away. Hodge turned around somewhat instinctively and king-hit Andrew. Spitta reacted and gave away a free kick. I will never forgive Brad Scott for not leaping to Spitta's defence in the press conference. Rather than standing up for our captain, he essentially lambasted him for giving away a free-kick, saying that it was not a great example of leadership by the captain. In the same breath Scotty glowingly praised the character and leadership of Hodge. I'm probably misrepresenting some of this a little bit, but I know the essence of it is what happened and what was said. Scott lost me that day. If I see Swallow, and I hope to, I'd love to ask him about that incident and if he felt let down by the coach and the club. I would have been seething if I'd been in his position. We were beaten up, literally, in that game by the Hawks and we needed to draw that line in the sand. Swallow's reaction had been appropriate.

A player and a man of great dignity, calm under pressure, relentless physicality and leadership.
Thanks for the memories Captain. You'll be missed.

Last edited:
I haven't had the opportunity to sit down and properly thank Spitta for the incredible career and service that he's given our great club since coming over from Western Australia all those years ago.

If not for Andrew over the last decade continually smashing his body into contested ball over and over again, we would have been a much poorer club and undoubtedly, our win-loss ratio would have suffered considerably. Man could the boy tackle. His ability to clasp onto a player and stop him dead in his tracks has been unrivalled by any on our list, and most in the league, in the time that he's been wearing blue and white. Even last year when he returned from his sabbatical in the VFL he was our most consistent player at the coal face. Always knew what you were going to get. Yeah he could occasionally frustrate you with his disposal but he never let us down from want of trying.

One thing I want to mention, and it's bugged me enormously to this day (maybe it's only me) is my memory of the game where we played Hawthorn and Jordan Lewis king-hit Goldstein. In the same game, as I'm sure any North supporter worth their salt would remember a scuffle broke out involving a number of players. Spitta had walked up to Hodge from behind to pull him away. Hodge turned around somewhat instinctively and king-hit Andrew. Spitta reacted and gave away a free kick. I will never forgive Brad Scott for not leaping to Spitta's defence in the press conference. Rather than standing up for our captain, he essentially lambasted him for giving away a free-kick, saying that it was not a great example of leadership by the captain. In the same breath Scotty glowingly praised the character and leadership of Hodge. I'm probably misrepresenting some of this a little bit, but I know the essence of it is what happened and what was said. Scott lost me that day. If I see Swallow, and I hope to, I'd love to ask him about that incident and if he felt let down by the coach and the club. I would have been seething if I'd been in his position. We were beaten up, literally, in that game by the Hawks and we needed to draw that line in the sand. Swallow's reaction had been appropriate.

A player and a man of great dignity, calm under pressure, relentless physicality and leadership.

Agree with both the Swallow AND the Scott content there. Was disgusted with Scott's approach on that.

Agree with both the Swallow AND the Scott content there. Was disgusted with Scott's approach on that.

Yeah nah. We were beaten in that game because of exactly that - getting sucked in. I was filthy at the time, but Scott was right. We were well on top to that point, but we got sucked in, retaliated & gave away about 4 free's, a couple goals, the momentum and the game.

The simplistic thing to think is we shouldn't back down, but ultimately it was not-backing down that led to us losing control of that game.

Yeah nah. We were beaten in that game because of exactly that - getting sucked in. I was filthy at the time, but Scott was right. We were well on top to that point, but we got sucked in, retaliated & gave away about 4 free's, a couple goals, the momentum and the game.

The simplistic thing to think is we shouldn't back down, but ultimately it was not-backing down that led to us losing control of that game.
I blame LT. All started with him ducking.

Our players were sniped. I don't necessarily agree with your reason for why we lost but regardless, I don't want any coach of the NMFC doing a character reference for an opposition player who just king hit one of our blokes while at the same time running down our own players for showing some protective loyalty to their teammates. My feeling on Brad's comments on Hodge were that if he loves other players so much and wants our blokes to be choirboys maybe he can go and work for the AFLPA.

Anyway it's an Andrew Swallow thread and kudos to him for seemingly breaking team rules and flying the flag. :thumbsu:

Our players were sniped. I don't necessarily agree with your reason for why we lost but regardless, I don't want any coach of the NMFC doing a character reference for an opposition player who just king hit one of our blokes while at the same time running down our own players for showing some protective loyalty to their teammates. My feeling on Brad's comments on Hodge were that if he loves other players so much and wants our blokes to be choirboys maybe he can go and work for the AFLPA.

Anyway it's an Andrew Swallow thread and kudos to him for seemingly breaking team rules and flying the flag. :thumbsu:

Yeah I agree with you on the Hodge praise, that was pretty weird.

If there was any real science to knowing which play will adjust from junior level to senior level well then you would be paid a fortune for the information by AFL clubs. There is no science to it. All you can do is judge how well they go at junior level, then just prey they have the motivation to apply themselves. Emma Quayle got a gig at GWS just for being a half decent judge of young footballers at junior level.

only if we can have the mirror mirror on the wall for footy players.........

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I want to hear the post match comments now..... this game for me shined a better light on the make up of our list.
Its been documented as fact that Hawthorn went into that particular game and targeted players.

Last edited:
5 or more tackles in a match (all time)

1st: Matt Priddis (West Coast) — 193

2nd: Andrew Swallow (North Melbourne) — 168

3rd: Lenny Hayes (St Kilda) — 164

4th: Jude Bolton (Sydney) — 150

Consecutive games with 4 or more tackles (all time)

1st: Andrew Swallow (North Melbourne) — 40 games

2nd: Jack Redden (Brisbane/West Coast) — 36 games

3rd: Liam Shiels (Hawthorn) — 33 games

4th: Matt Priddis (West Coast) — 32 games

Last edited:
5 or more tackles in a match (all time)

1st: Matt Priddis (West Coast) — 193

2nd: Andrew Swallow (North Melbourne) — 168

3rd: Lenny Hayes (St Kilda) — 164

4th: Jude Bolton (Sydney) — 150

Consecutive games with 4 or more tackles (all time)

1st: Andrew Swallow (North Melbourne) — 40 games

2nd: Jack Redden (Brisbane/West Coast) — 36 games

3rd: Liam Shiels (Hawthorn) — 33 games

4th: Matt Priddis (West Coast) — 32 games

Very interesting. The media came themselves towards the end of Hayes' and Bolton's careers over their tackling.

Swallow got nestled in alongside the greyhounds results.

To be fair Priddis didn't get enough credit for his achievement either.

There's a message worth considering from a fan's POV in Spitta's words there. "Enjoy the moment. It's a journey and there are going to be plenty of ups and downs, but it's about the journey."

I doubt he has any worries about how he'll be perceived in hindsight, as all North supporters know he was indeed someone who was super competitive and a player who gave his all for North.

Selfishly I'm glad he goes out as a one club player, and on his own terms.

All the best skipper!

Andrew Swallow blued the skyline
roving in from way out west
his unrelenting attack on the ball,
dedication and courage impressed
so he was chosen as team captain
and triumphed three times as Barker best

Hearts to hearts and hands to hands
Spitter was already versed in the psalms
So he shepherded them according to the integrity of his heart
and guided them with his skilful hands

Spitter you shut them down, you shut them down
crunched in hardest on the tackle
and dropped them to the ground

The supporters got above him
when he showed some Shinboner class
tho the coach didn't like it
when he dropped the good bloke on his ass

Spitta you smacked him down, you smacked him down
stopped him in his tracks and
dropped that empty sniper to the ground

Saying a sudden goodbye to the number nine
Andrew had hoped for a reunion in gsealand.
His professionalism and determination
made North Melbourne a better native land
and will ensure that his legacy will endure
and that beneath the blue and white we stand.

Thanks to Heaps of fun for when my brain paused.
Thanks to Jasemon for the inspiration

Andrew Swallow blued the skyline
roving in from way out west
his unrelenting attack on the ball,
dedication and courage impressed
so he was chosen as team captain
and triumphed three times as Barker best

Hearts to hearts and hands to hands
Spitter was already versed in the psalms
So he shepherded them according to the integrity of his heart
and guided them with his skilful hands

crunched in hardest on the tackle
and dropped them to the ground

The supporters got above him
when he showed some Shinboner class
tho the coach didn't like it
when he dropped the good bloke on his ass

Spitta you smacked him down, you smacked him down
stopped him in his tracks and
dropped that empty sniper to the ground

Saying a sudden goodbye to the number nine
Andrew had hoped for a reunion in gsealand.
His professionalism and determination
made North Melbourne a better native land
and will ensure that his legacy will endure
and that beneath the blue and white we stand.

Thanks to Heaps of fun for when my brain paused.
Thanks to Jasemon for the inspiration
That was absolutely incredible Andana. I can't express enough how honoured I am to be an inspiration for such a powerful, and let's face it beautiful piece of poetry to honour the great, and understated man Spitta.

I must admit I was reading your ode and got to around the fourth verse when I started to think... 'hey this guy has captured perfectly the anger and pride I tried to communicate the other day when I wrote my post about that Hawthorn game'.

I hope somehow, you can get this through to Spitta. The great man deserves to have it on his wall at home.

Former North Melbourne captain Andrew Swallow signs with NEAFL club Aspley Hornets for 2018 season

3450ba8501e8e8ee0e1ed30d7c9ecbf2

Andrew Swallow will play for NEAFL side Aspley in 2018. (Photo by Quinn Rooney/Getty Images)Source: Getty Images
FORMER North Melbourne captain Andrew Swallow has found a footy home in Queensland — but it’s not at AFL level.

Swallow will play for NEAFL side Aspley in 2018 with the club announcing his signing on Thursday morning.

The three-time best and fairest winner had hoped to continue his AFL career, potentially with brother David at the Gold Coast Suns, but was not picked up after 224 games at the Kangaroos.

Despite that Swallow’s family has still moved up to Queensland, and credited his relationship with Aspley co-captain Ben Warren — who was on North Melbourne’s list from 2006 to 2012 — as a reason for signing with the Hornets.

d86cbd9a5d894dc40625a54f52edbba7

Andrew Swallow credits his friendship with former North Melbourne player Ben Warren (lower right) as a reason for moving to Aspley.Source: News Limited
“We were looking for a move out of Melbourne and we were looking for some warmer weather and a change of lifestyle,” Swallow told the NEAFL website.

“David is about to have a child at the end of February so ideally it would have been great to go to Gold Coast, but when things fell through… we still thought of a move out of Melbourne.

“Speaking to other clubs, they all sounded like they had great opportunities. But having Ben at Aspley — and his wife and my wife are really good friends — it makes that transition to a new club really easy.

“I’d love the opportunity to play with him again. He came to North Melbourne in my second year and we’ve been really close since then.

“I thought, if your going to move up there, why not play footy with one of your best mates?”

467f42b6bd8595a6f5bc71c0336d4392

Swallow played 16 games in 2017 for North Melbourne, bringing his career total to 224. Pic: Michael KleinSource: News Corp Australia
Swallow joins a number of ex-AFL players at Aspley including former Melbourne ruckman Jake Spencer and former Brisbane forward Jono Freeman.

Swallow is hoping to move into coaching after his playing career ends.

“Being able to still play footy at a high level, but not be as full on and serious as the AFL, I think that would be really good,” Swallow said.

“I’m also looking forward to doing a bit of coaching and helping the younger guys. I think it will challenge me and open my eyes up to the world of coaching.

Swallow played 16 games for North Melbourne in the 2017 season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back