Past #9: Andrew Swallow - 224 NM games - 3x Syds - captain '12-'16 - #43 '05 ND - thanks Spitta

Remove this Banner Ad

Thanks Benno. I'd forgotten just how good a player Swallow had been.

Yep. That was a terrific example - and it probably serves to explain why the frustration level is now so high - the current performances are not a shadow of that effort.

Swallow was a very good footballer. When he was playing that well, his leadership by example was unquestionable. He may have inspiring words still, and the level of respect amongst the players may still be high, but the on-field performances must be causing consternation amongst many of the players - to see him work as hard as he still does, win the ball then cough it up cannot be inspiring.

But he is not alone.

Sadly, as captain, he will pay a higher price than a lowere stationed player. A Nick Maxwell end to Spitta's career would be a bad ending.

If only, as a few have mentioned, if only he could recover some of what he had, play pain free and have the freedom to only be worried about his own game instead of carrying the ever increasing burden of leading the team then it could be possible for one more season. Unfortunately, it should be based on him being uninjured, and I don't think that will be likely.

The garbage posted on BF about our captain makes me feel very uneasy. Yep the bloke cannot kick and has no left foot and is a plodder. But in that GWS game I reckon he got first hands to the ball in the centre 100 times. His reading of the play in clearance situations is impeccable and he never squibs. His problem is that there are too many like him in the team. Lay off I say.

Got me worried with Swallow, looks like he's trying to run through quicksand sometimes.

Goes to ground almost unneccesarily fairly often too. Very sad watching that clip compared to seeing him now. Has he got pain or just aging?

Got me worried with Swallow, looks like he's trying to run through quicksand sometimes.

Goes to ground almost unneccesarily fairly often too. Very sad watching that clip compared to seeing him now. Has he got pain or just aging?

As far as his movement goes I reckon the Achilles issue of a couple of years ago could do with rest followed by a big preseason.

Watch his handballs go way up and then down slowly to a player under the pump.

Im sorry. I'm sure hess great guy and all but his foot and hand skills are underwhelming to say the least.

:p, was about to post exactly this, the pity is, a lot of his team mates are following his example of this style, personally i prefer the rocket/bullet style, to a player preferably already on his bike

(Log in to remove this ad.)

:p, was about to post exactly this, the pity is, a lot of his team mates are following his example of this style, personally i prefer the rocket/bullet style, to a player preferably already on his bike
You mean a correct handball? That coaches teach at EDFL level?
Surely you jest?

The amount of forward link up plans that broke down last night due to this was pathetic.
Push whatever culture line or ethos you want through the playing group, but if your leader is selling you into trouble, the whole midfield cannot function as a cohesive unit.
I think MacMillan got killed four or five times last night. Had to slam it on the left by the end he was so concious of contact. Atley is no better either. Such a limited footballer.

Has been an absolute warrior for the club but the only reason he can play next year is if we're making an attempt to lure his brother.

Sadly the writing was on the wall last year, clubs with a fast midfield core can handle one slower player, we cant. But if anyone dared mention we move him on while having currency they'd have been shot down. Granted its unsavory for a club to trade their captain, yeah Bulldogs did its different the player asking to leave. But thats in the past now, we need to look ahead -

Considering the next 2-3 years needs to be rebuild anyway, its probably best to stick with him since the brothers have made it clear they'd like to play together and David is a FA end of next year i believe. So 2019/20 we should be well on our back up, Andrew will be retiring or retired and we'd have David for zero draft cost.

Unfortunately he just can't run anymore.

Excuse the intrusion, but was surprised to read reactions of recent times. Have always rated him really high, and that hasn't changed. Adds so much more than others in the league that get far more attention. He is one of the best leaders in the comp.

Yep, but this is the North BF Board. The only army in the world that shoots its wounded.

A goalless season. When was the last time a north Melbourne skipper did that?

No doubt a rhetorical question, but:

2016 - 0 goals (Swallow)
2015 - 4 goals (Swallow)
2014 - 5 goals (Swallow)
2013 - 2 goals (Swallow)
2012 - 9 goals (Swallow)
2011 - 31 goals (Harvey)
2010 - 25 goals (Harvey)
2009 - 12 goals (Harvey)
2008 - 4 goals (Simpson)
2007 - 4 goals (Simpson)
2006 - 2 goals (Simpson)
2005 - 3 goals (Simpson)
2004 - 4 goals (Simpson)
2003 - 10 goals (Stevens)
2002 - 10 goals (Stevens)
2001 - 35 goals (Carey)
2000 - 69 goals (Carey)
1999 - 76 goals (Carey)
1998 - 80 goals (Carey)
1997 - 25 goals (Carey)
1996 - 82 goals (Carey)
1995 - 65 goals (Carey)
1994 - 63 goals (Carey)
1993 - 64 goals (Carey)
1992 - 8 goals (Larkin)
1991 - 17 goals (Larkin)
1990 - 17 goals (Larkin)
1989 - 0 goals (Law)

Going back even further:

1988 - 1 goal (Law)
1987 - 6 goals (Schimmelbusch)
1986 - 8 goals (Schimmelbusch)
1985 - 20 goals (Schimmelbusch)
1984 - 17 goals (Schimmelbusch)
1983 - 40 goals (Schimmelbusch)
1982 - 37 goals (Schimmelbusch)
1981 - 16 goals (Schimmelbusch)
1980 - 7 goals (Schimmelbusch)
1979 - 1 goal (Greig)
1978 - 3 goals (Greig)
1977 - 0 goals (Greig)
1976 - 6 goals (Greig)
1975 - 14 goals (Davis)
1974 - 21 goals (Davis)
1973 - 19 goals (Davis)
1972 - 2 goals (Dench)
1971 - 6 goals (Goodingham)
1970 - 0 goals (Dugdale)
1969 - 8 goals (Dugdale)
1968 - 2 goals (Dugdale)
1967 - 3 goals (Teasdale)
1966 - 8 goals (Teasdale)
1965 - 8 goals (Teasdale)

Interesting that greigy wasnt required back in 77, bloody unbelievable stat that shows footy of a bygone era.

Modern footy requires mids to kick goals. Swallow is not alone this season, our mids on a whole have been seriously ineffective in hurting the opposition. Need to develop some bite back into the middle.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back