Past #9: Andrew Swallow - 224 NM games - 3x Syds - captain '12-'16 - #43 '05 ND - thanks Spitta

Remove this Banner Ad

Had 24, was fine with the ball and had 1/8th of our total tackles. Young kids will see his work rate. People wanting him dropped really under value what it is for him to help develop these kids this year.
some people also cant see that ATM there are little replacement options for him,

i was happy to see him dropped earlier in the year and the way he upheld himself, went back the the ressies and forced his way back into the ones is a credit to him ( no surprises really given his positive attitude) .

the blokes the gold standard on what a clubman is and should be.

his best is clearly behind him but i dont think a single ounce of his effort has dissapeard.

He's just another whipping boy.

Just accept the fact that we have quite a few posters that simply don't have a clue. I apply the assumption that they are on the younger side of our demographic and have been spoiled by the clubs competitiveness. A supporter say ~35 years old would have only seen 3 or 4 seasons where the club was out of finals consideration and they have never seen a season like this and don't know how to deal with it.

The knocks on Spitta are the delusional by-product of limited footy experience.

Just accept the fact that we have quite a few posters that simply don't have a clue. I apply the assumption that they are on the younger side of our demographic and have been spoiled by the clubs competitiveness. A supporter say ~35 years old would have only seen 3 or 4 seasons where the club was out of finals consideration and they have never seen a season like this and don't know how to deal with it.

The knocks on Spitta are the delusional by-product of limited footy experience.
I must handle it a bit better then as I am late 30s :)

I must handle it a bit better then as I am late 30s :)

I think the point of difference is basic intelligence.

You are clearly not a slave to your initial emotions and sit back and analyse things more thoroughly before siding up to your keyboard. You also do not seem to be brainwashed with the "supercoach" short term and unrealistic "trade, trade, trade" illness that seems to afflict others.

I think the point of difference is basic intelligence.

You are clearly not a slave to your initial emotions and sit back and analyse things more thoroughly before siding up to your keyboard. You also do not seem to be brainwashed with the "supercoach" short term and unrealistic "trade, trade, trade" illness that seems to afflict others.
I am furious and as passionate when the game is on as like everyone else is here I am sure. Ask my couch :)

But post game I am sooky and grumpy but not so much this year as my expectations werent high but was expecting a development year and I am getting a lot of joy in seeing new kids coming in to play and imagine what the future might be.

I hate losing like everyone else....and in anything. Very competitive. But I am not going to abuse the crap out of the players and the coach (especially our ex captain)....I dont know what the purpose is other than to make one feel better.

And yes I come to my own conclusions.....to what I see. Whether right or wrong they arent sheep like :)

But post game I am sooky and grumpy but not so much this year as my expectations werent high but was expecting a development year and I am getting a lot of joy in seeing new kids coming in to play and imagine what the future might be.

This is it.

In future, I expect we will look back on the 2017 experiment and claim it a success, when we unearthed 5 x 150+ game players in Preuss, Neilsen, EVW, M.Williams and Hrovat.

It will also be the year when Cunnington established himself as elite, a star named Simpkin emerged, and McDonald, Mullet and Atley turned the corner.

I also expect Hibberd to be in the conversation.

Can't fault his Endeavour, tackling machine, however his lack of acceleration is worsening and he can't find any free space to improve his kicking. He's not best 22 if we're fully fit, but he is currently best 22. He stays until the like of Dumont and Clarke step up.

If Andrew Swallow is so fumbly, and so slow and so bad...

..and in spite of him being consigned to the VFL for a while..

..why didn't any other player jump into the seniors, replicate his efforts and shut him out of a spot?
Unfortunately you can't replicate courage, workrate, and tenacity.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Gives everything he has, always.
I didn't want him in the team at all this year. I was of the belief (hope) that others would go past him.

They did for a while, but you can't deny a bloke who's as courageous as anyone to wear the colours.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Since Spitta got dropped, his Melbourne game and subsequent games have really shown up the list to be extremely thin.
Even if we are struggling in the seniors, watching a kid fight it out to he earns his spot for the next week should have been a regular occurrence. It hasnt been and Clarke/Dumont/Anderson just didnt lift.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I didn't want him in the team at all this year. I was of the belief (hope) that others would go past him.

Kind of thought the same to a lesser extent.

But he's basically 1 of about 4-5 blokes this season who give everything in every game they've played. And 2 of those blokes debuted this year.

For the same reason I was defensive of Nahas last year, well let's see all the other supposed champions put in similar effort to complement their allegedly vastly superior skillset.

He looked good in the middle yesterday. Actually quite zippy tbh.
Reaffirms the motion that we can't play ziebell, cunnington, swallow and dumont in the same team.
never have a group of players complemented each other so poorly and terribly like our 2017 midfield

Nice game on Saturday.

Swallow v2017 has his limitations but the things he does well are indisputable.

Unlike some fan favourites you don't look at a stats sheet after any game and asked "where was Andrew?".

The effort is non-negotiable and the output is only hampered by his inherent weaknesses.

Old dog, old tricks.

Jack Viney odds-on for a conciliatory press conference through the week where he laments the club not being good enough and criticises his own game.

Just a warrior performance from Swallow.

Andrew Swallow's last six games - 72.33% gametime, 22.50 disposals per game (51.85% contested, 80.74% disposal efficiency), 5.50 clearances per game, 6.33 tackles per game, 2.50 inside 50s per game, 0.50 goals per game, 0.83 goal assists per game, and a Champion Data Player Ranking Score average of 96.17.

Yeah, he's still no attacking wizard or speed demon, and it's kind of the standard basic output people have come to expect from him over time, but it's a very good return to form for a player that many thought at the half way point of the year was completely cooked and should play out the year in the VFL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back