Retired #9: Brendon Goddard - Retires a winner - Thanks for everything BJ

Remove this Banner Ad

Ok. Big hypothetical.

Goddard is 28. By the end of his contract, he will be 31, it will be the end of 2016 and if he misses no home and away matches and plays no finals, he will have played 88 games for us. Throwing in some finals, and taking out some injuries/suspensions, and adding a one-year contract, BJ would be commencing the 2017 at the age of 31 (to turn 32 that May) with around 300-games and would most likely notch-up 100 games with Ess at some point that season.

Question. Assuming the above, what chance is there we could get his kid (if any)? Obviously, he played a tick over 200 games at the Saints (but no B&F award). Would a flag with the Bombers for him change anything?

Apart from 2007 (don't recall what injury he had) he has been pretty durable, playing most games. So it's not too far-fetched.

Ok. Big hypothetical.

Goddard is 28. By the end of his contract, he will be 31, it will be the end of 2016 and if he misses no home and away matches and plays no finals, he will have played 88 games for us. Throwing in some finals, and taking out some injuries/suspensions, and adding a one-year contract, BJ would be commencing the 2017 at the age of 31 (to turn 32 that May) with around 300-games and would most likely notch-up 100 games with Ess at some point that season.

Question. Assuming the above, what chance is there we could get his kid (if any)? Obviously, he played a tick over 200 games at the Saints (but no B&F award). Would a flag with the Bombers for him change anything?

Apart from 2007 (don't recall what injury he had) he has been pretty durable, playing most games. So it's not too far-fetched.
Hitting your 30s isn't really a death sentence for player's careers, especially ones that don't rely on brute physicality and athleticism like Goddard. I could see him playing well into his thirties barring no major injuries. As for his hypothetical son/s I assume it would be up to them if the opportunity arises.

Ok. Big hypothetical.

Reckon that if Goddard plays 100 and it involves a flag, bnfs and other accolades like being All-Australian he probably finishes his career as much an Essendon player as not.

Much would also come down to whether St Kilda continues to relive its penchant for imploding culturally. Think that your advice to your son is about giving him the best shot at a successful career rather than romance and that off-field strength and stability is as important as anything.

I'm not convinced that Goddard's fondness for St Kilda wouldn't be more about the relationships than the club anyway. Not convinced that St Kilda did enough to try to give him what he was probably owed.

If I get a chance to watch replay I will jot the ones down. I know there were three in the middle of the ground in a 5minute period during the 2nd quarter. Got the ball kicked to him because of who he is (and this slowed the play down with a nothing kick sideways) when another bloke was in a better position to drive your team forward.
Even though he got about 25% more disposals than Goddard, and has a very high disposal efficiency rate, the proof of what I am saying is communicated with the slim difference in super coach scores. Although one thing I neglected to think about was Watsons influence on his teammates, I think he gives his teammates confidence to play better.

You're basing this purely off what you see on television, rather than what is further up the ground which you see at the game. Pair this with the fact we're playing a high possession game in which it's more about precise movement over relentless attack (ala Knights/B.Scott failure style) and you'll begin to understand why some options are taken over ones you personally think are correct. Finally, players don't always see what we do on TV or at the ground, player might not be in their field of vision, they might be looking deep and not see the closer option and vice versa.

Then as to Supercoach argument (which is daft) you fail to take into account that Goddard kicked an extra 1.2 with the goal coming late in the game as the sealer, which tends to be credited with more points, where as a large portion of Watson's possessions came in the first half, which tends to lead to little upscaling.

Really, just saying Goddard is a better and more valuable player based of 3 possessions in the first game of the year is ridiculous. I've closely watched both players for years, I'm an AFL member with Saints supporters in the family, and I can tell you right now that while Goddard is more damaging with his foot, unless he continues to do the heavy lifting he showed on Friday then Jobe will always be the better player.

Anyway all that matters is that both are ******* amazing players who are potentially top 10 this year and both play for our club!

Reckon that if Goddard plays 100 and it involves a flag, bnfs and other accolades like being All-Australian he probably finishes his career as much an Essendon player as not.

Much would also come down to whether St Kilda continues to relive its penchant for imploding culturally. Think that your advice to your son is about giving him the best shot at a successful career rather than romance and that off-field strength and stability is as important as anything.

I'm not convinced that Goddard's fondness for St Kilda wouldn't be more about the relationships than the club anyway. Not convinced that St Kilda did enough to try to give him what he was probably owed.

well said BrunoV :thumbsu: (bolded in particular)

With him playing more forward of the centre, can see him kicking 25+ goals.

25th game as an Essendon player.

#Milestone

He's not at the 09-10 level, but he's not too far away. First BJ and then Chappy, I fail to see a reason why we can't do it again this year.

Just out of curiosity did he rate a mention in any of that Top 50 nonsense at the start of the year?

How many players out there are better and more influential than he is? Wouldn't have though it would be more than 15 or 20 if that.

The guy is a freak show.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Having watched last nights game Id like to give this guy a wrap and say he is your best player. Obviously Watson has won a Brownlow and is a great player and a favourite son, yet in terms of influence on a game I reckon Goddard got him covered.
Goddards possessions are all attacking and effective. A lot of Watsons are just so so handballs and kicks that don't really achieve much. He took 9 marks and got the most uncontested possessions of any players, a lot of the time he wasn't in a position to attack and shouldn't have been receiving the ball, he received the ball on reputation, Essendon could have scored more by choosing better options at times.
I can't find metres Gained let alone a metres gained from effective disposals stat, but I believe this is incorporated into super coach scores. Without wanting to use super coach and stats as the be all and end all, despite his 12 more disposals and 6 more marks Watson only got 18 more super coach points. Goddards posies were a lot more damaging to North Melbourne and a some of Watsons possies he actually shouldn't have been receiving the ball.

Watson still one of the best in the comp, I just think Goddard is your MVP.
If I get a chance to watch replay I will jot the ones down. I know there were three in the middle of the ground in a 5minute period during the 2nd quarter. Got the ball kicked to him because of who he is (and this slowed the play down with a nothing kick sideways) when another bloke was in a better position to drive your team forward.
Even though he got about 25% more disposals than Goddard, and has a very high disposal efficiency rate, the proof of what I am saying is communicated with the slim difference in super coach scores. Although one thing I neglected to think about was Watsons influence on his teammates, I think he gives his teammates confidence to play better.

Ok, its all well and good to say what you think, but why do you think that?

Has it ever occurred to you that Goddard is the beneficiary of Watson's hard work, like Hayes at St Kilda.
What Watson offers by getting the ball 1st out of a congested pack is what helps players like Goddard be able to play their role really well, take out the Watson and Hayes type of players and Goddard really is just not as effective.

In the 3rd agaisnt the Hawscum, from 20m within our defensive 50, he pulled the trigger on a flat 50m kick through the corridor to set up an eventual goal..
Just made me think, JEEZ what a pick up he has been thus far!!!
He has started this season better than he finished last!!!
Que, nightmare game against Cartank now ;-)

I hated Goddard at the Saints. Supported the decision to bring him in because he was the only big fish attainable, but did have doubts on whether he was the right fit playing wise, age wise and so on. Gotta love him now. He has been a fantastic player and leader for us. I still can't believe we have him and Chappy at the Dons.

I hated Goddard at the Saints. Supported the decision to bring him in because he was the only big fish attainable, but did have doubts on whether he was the right fit playing wise, age wise and so on. Gotta love him now. He has been a fantastic player and leader for us. I still can't believe we have him and Chappy at the Dons.

If someone said to you years ago that Chappy and BJ would be teammates at another club, you'd think they're crazy.

This is something I don't reckon will be hit properly until both have retired.

Purely FB page but apparently we are sorting a "big money offer for David Mundy"

I don't buy it. especially since the development of Melksham in 2013, Myers in 2014 and Goddard, Watson, Hocking, Heppel all being vital cogs to our inside stocks.
I'm okay with this, even if it is a rumour.

It's only over the last couple of weeks I've really considered him an Essendon player.

It felt like a bit of a novelty last year...

He's more 'us' now than 'them'. And long may it continue.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back