Retired #9: Brendon Goddard - Retires a winner - Thanks for everything BJ

Remove this Banner Ad

I can't really recall a suspension overturned on force grounds, and I'm sure the club will consider that.

Which is why I have no idea how they are getting him off, unless Cornes comes in and says 'I milked it"

I'm baffled by the MRP's decision, but I'm even more baffled by the lack of criticism of Goddard. It was a dumb thing to do and pretty weak IMO. At best it was always going to be a free kick (which is bad enough) and at worst he gets suspended.

Having said that, if this doesn't show a serious flaw with the 'grading system', I don't know what does. There is no way that's a two week suspension down to one with an early plea. I could cop one down to reprimand but because it's been (rightly IMO) graded as intentional he's ****ed. It really should have been insufficient force for a report.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have no issue that Goddard did it. It's unfortunate Cornes either wasn't ready/aware or bitched out and went to ground.

I'd prefer we have a crack at appealing. Not just for our sake, but the game. How soft is it going to get? We're changing the nature of the sport here, piece by piece, bit by bit.

Also, we always roll over at the tribunal. The guy deserves to be playing this week, and we deserve to see him play and have help us to a win. The overall injustice ought not be overlooked.

I will be suprised if he gets off, I doubt they will even challenge it now. It's the ******* grading system that is wrong and until that is fixed up we will keep having ridicule suspensions like this.

I will be suprised if he gets off, I doubt they will even challenge it now. It's the ******* grading system that is wrong and until that is fixed up we will keep having ridicule suspensions like this.
i like the way you said that "WE" will keep havaing ridiculous suspensions. there aint too many other clubs in the past 5 years that have had players scrubbed out like we have.

Bad record is suspended in last two years, good record is not suspended in last 6....so if suspended 4 years ago (as Goddard was for umpire contact of all things) then you fall in between and have neither.

Was also confused by this so looked it up earlier.

Awesome. Let's continue to have grey areas in the game, just to make things even harder to rule on. FFS, AFL cut to the middle ground and say greater than 3 years = good, less than 3 years = bad.

Be surprised if they challenge, I previously wanted them to but they wont be able to change the mind of these clowns.

Miss the Pies, or miss Pies & Dogs? - we still are in with a chance of finals if we drop the Pies game but not if we drop both.

Be surprised if they challenge, I previously wanted them to but they wont be able to change the mind of these clowns.

Miss the Pies, or miss Pies & Dogs? - we still are in with a chance of finals if we drop the Pies game but not if we drop both.

Take the punt. If we can't restrict that appalling, embarrassing forwardline to sub 10 goals to win the game, with our without Beej, we don't deserve to play finals.

Yep, he won't get off. Having said that, it needs to be challenged, for the good of the game.

inb4 Carowhine article about us thumbing our nose at the competition and refusing to take our medicine (assuming she's capable of writing an article that actually references on-field action)

It was a stupid act from a leader FFS.
While I think the MRP "finding" (translation: directive from Gil and co.) is bullshit, I do think this justifies my view of him as a leader.

I've long said that he's too hot headed for a a leader of the club. He's got a history of losing his cool and giving away stupid free kicks that let the team down.

If it were Ablett or Goodes, Cornes would have got a reprimand. :p

I hope they challenge. Would be a huge loss for us with Jobe already out of the midfield. Looking at Collingwoods run home I think if we take anyones place in the 8, it could well be theirs if we will on Sunday. It's a massive game for us.

Cant we plea for insufficient force? Its a bump to the body. Its not like he shouldered/elbowed him or jabbed him right up through the guts.

As for some questioning Goddard as a leader/captain and what he did was wrong ect. I sort of disagree. We ended up winning the game. The guy he was tagging ended up winning us the game. He saw that heppell was struggling with the tight Kornes attention and did something to try and shake or prevent that happening. I really dont have anything wrong with it. Its better than Richmond who run around and let their best onballers like Cotchin get body slammed and grappled by Macaffer all day without just about anyone doing anything.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back